wrestlingnerd

Suriano has the last laugh

3 hours ago, qc8223 said:

I'm pretty sure Suriano was in deep on Fix way more often in that marathon match than Fix got to him. There were at least 5-6 big scrambles in that match, unlike their college matches. It definitely wasn't an "eternity of no risk" like you claimed. Against top guys, Fix plays it very close to the vest. He got a quick takedown against Pletcher and held position for 6 minutes after that. Suriano is the same way. I wouldn't expect anything different from either of them. Both are very tactical wrestlers who pick their spots. Obviously, Fix has some nice tools like you mentioned, but he does not get to them consistently against top guys and I don't think it's reasonable to expect him to do so against someone as positionally sound as Suriano. Even Micic has only been able to get to Suriano's legs once in 2 matches, and he has the best leg attacks at the weight.

I"m not going to go back and watch that match, so I'll just trust you're accurate, but Fix took the last risk of the match and it cost him. My point is that that was the last time he took meaningful risk against Suriano. Fix can play it close to the vest like ANY wrestler (even someone as offense-minded and GOAT-level elite as JB). But when forced, he has generally taken risk. This is true of the world trials, junior worlds, etc. He has not clammed up like he has against Suriano in so many total minutes of wrestling against anyone in the world. 

I don't think Micic has the best leg attakcs at the weight. I'd argue Suriano does. They're not as flashy, but he is so technically solid on the ones he does execute. Reminds me a lot of Gilman in that way (Vak put the thought in my head, although he was talking about personalities). 

I"m not going to go back and watch that match, so I'll just trust you're accurate, but Fix took the last risk of the match and it cost him. My point is that that was the last time he took meaningful risk against Suriano. Fix can play it close to the vest like ANY wrestler (even someone as offense-minded and GOAT-level elite as JB). But when forced, he has generally taken risk. This is true of the world trials, junior worlds, etc. He has not clammed up like he has against Suriano in so many total minutes of wrestling against anyone in the world. 
I don't think Micic has the best leg attakcs at the weight. I'd argue Suriano does. They're not as flashy, but he is so technically solid on the ones he does execute. Reminds me a lot of Gilman in that way (Vak put the thought in my head, although he was talking about personalities). 
I was actually thinking of both. As I thought about it, it got kind of eerie.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

“The best offense is a good defense.”  Suriano isn’t good defensively, he’s elite World Class!!!  When Zein Retherford beat Molinaro a few years ago (freestyle), the interviewer asked if if the Tank Molinaro was the strongest guy he ever wrestled? Retherford, weighing in the 140’s, didn’t hesitate and said “no, Suriano.”     Congratulations to Nick, his family and all involved with Rutgers. His hard work most deservedly was rewarded. Way to go Nick.  Technique,strength, speed etc.  most important is heart. IMO, no one gets to NCAA finals without it. Congrats to all 20 wrestlers. 

On 3/24/2019 at 6:17 PM, 1032004 said:

After rewatching it, Suriano was on all fours and Fix was high.  There was no way he was gonna get a turn there, he was just hanging on.   Good call by the official.

It's called a ride out.  They never ever do that in overtime ride outs.

42 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

You're crazy. They always give at least one restart, unless a turn is imminent.

You're good people Vak.  I am not a fan of the Hawkeyes but I appreciate your equanimity. 

13 hours ago, VakAttack said:

You're crazy. They always give at least one restart, unless a turn is imminent.

Only in the first ot.  Once the rideout is for the win, they never ever do that.  The rideout is different, so you are incorrect.

2 minutes ago, StallWarning said:

I thought Nick was the guy who wanted it a lot more in the finals.  He finally looked like he wanted to wrestle to win.

Well, lets not get crazy here.  "More" is a relative term that doesn't do justice to this atrocity of a match.  Here's how I saw it:

Suriano didn't do much.

Fix didn't do anything.

Suriano tried to game the 5 second stalling rule.

Fix should have held him down on the restart.

Suriano grabbed his headgear.

Fix shouldn't have stopped wrestling.

I'm just glad it's over.