Sign in to follow this  
Holtfan

Video Review - Conferences and NCAA

Someone mentioned it earlier, and I'd have to agree.

For Conference Tournaments and the NCAA FInals, the video review should be done by a 3rd official, with no input from either official on the mat. Someone who looks at the video evidence, and determines the outcome of the call.

It's an easy fix, and a great idea. Takes away "What do you think?  Here is what I saw..." even before they look at the video. 

Thoughts? 

1 minute ago, simple said:

Thoughts? Everyone agrees except the officials and whoever would have to pay for it

Pay for it?  You already have officials there, just assign one to video review. What's to pay for? 

You don’t use any officials that’s being used as a mat official in that tournament. Has to be a superior or neutral party. They still won’t want to overturn their buddies otherwise.

3 hours ago, simple said:

You don’t use any officials that’s being used as a mat official in that tournament. Has to be a superior or neutral party. They still won’t want to overturn their buddies otherwise.

At least for the NCAA finals (because they seem to have several extra guys), I say just make part of the rotation having 1 guy in a separate room where they aren’t watching the match and don’t know what the call on the mat was.  Screw the indisputable evidence thing, just have this person say what the call should be.

I think the reviews are out of control, but if the rules let the coaches to continue challenging things they are going to challenge calls.  I do like the idea of having a neutral official that has nothing to do with actual match that can take a look at the call and make a decision without any other factors besides the challenge to look at.  It is making the referring tougher and tougher on the officials and it is making things absolutely crazy on the mat.  

I just watched the Fix and Surriano match again and Fix was going really working behind on that shrug and I think it did stop Fix a little, but Surriano was the more aggressive wrestler this match and I think deserved the win.