ExBSUfan

I really enjoyed the “Joseph will be a 4 timer” era

9 hours ago, Cradle1 said:

Dean Heil lost once in two years in a very deep weight.

And no one respected him for it because everyone hated his style. The rules committee hated it so much they created a rule to keep him from being the worst 3xer.

12 hours ago, Crotalus said:

It still remains to be seen whether Mekhi has developed through the season into an unstoppable force, or if he had one of those miraculous tournament runs. History tells us that freshman champs usually hit some bumps in the road. As fun as he is to watch, I'm hoping he doesn't.

We now have two data points that point to this not being a Conel type fluke.  1.) Junior World Champ in Freestyle (seemed flukey), but now backs it up with 2.) NCAA Championship over Cenzo.  In this sport, lightning rarely strikes so consistently, let alone across two different tourneys, across two different styles, separated by 6 months.  Mekhi is the real deal. 

Now... Should we all proclaim him as the next 4x'er... Nope.  That's just dumb... But... He's officially the real deal.  

2 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

We now have two data points that point to this not being a Conel type fluke.  1.) Junior World Champ in Freestyle (seemed flukey), but now backs it up with 2.) NCAA Championship over Cenzo.  In this sport, lightning rarely strikes so consistently, let alone across two different tourneys, across two different styles, separated by 6 months.  Mekhi is the real deal. 

Now... Should we all proclaim him as the next 4x'er... Nope.  That's just dumb... But... He's officially the real deal.  

Spencer and Yanni are proclaimed as the next 4x'ers.

9 hours ago, pamela said:

That’s a good point. From here on out Mekhi will be scouted and gameplanned so we’ll see how he evolves and continues to improve. 

I think the problem that arises here is that he has physical gifts that are really hard to prepare for. Marinelli got to him several times and never came close to finishing. It felt like he was controlling the match, but just wasn't physically capable of closing the deal. Add those physical gifts to the obviously amazing skills and mat awareness/savvy he has, and he's going to be real trouble going forward. 

In past tournaments, there have been guys who go on surprising runs that I've had a feeling wouldn't be able to replicate that success going forward and fall back to the mean of their previous performances (Tariq and Conel from last year for example). I don't get that feeling with Lewis. 

Cenzo also has two wins in the NCAA finals against a 2x champ and 4x finalist. So I’m not sure why his lack of Big Ten titles seems to be such a sour point to people, especially considering he avenged both his losses to IMar and made the finals again this year. I don’t see how someone who rises to the occasion over and over and over again, can be so hated. He may wrestle close matches, but he rarely stalls. You are also never gonna find a more exciting wrestler in such low scoring bouts. Hitting throws and going for broke no matter the stakes. He’s a funny dude too. There is just so much to like about him, and so much to dislike about other 2 and 3 time champs that are in similar ranks as he is. I for one, was rooting for him to win 4 titles. Not a PSU guy either. 

1 minute ago, qc8223 said:

I think the problem that arises here is that he has physical gifts that are really hard to prepare for. Marinelli got to him several times and never came close to finishing. It felt like he was controlling the match, but just wasn't physically capable of closing the deal. Add those physical gifts to the obviously amazing skills and mat awareness/savvy he has, and he's going to be real trouble going forward. 

In past tournaments, there have been guys who go on surprising runs that I've had a feeling wouldn't be able to replicate that success going forward and fall back to the mean of their previous performances (Tariq and Conel from last year for example). I don't get that feeling with Lewis. 

Yah, Lewis looked really solid all tournament. It's so crazy to see someone have heavier hips than Cenzo and Marinelli. I don't get the feeling that Mekhi will regress either as much as I think his opponents will watch tape and try to mix things up and see what else might stick. We are in for a treat over the next few seasons for sure.

9 minutes ago, pamela said:

Yah, Lewis looked really solid all tournament. It's so crazy to see someone have heavier hips than Cenzo and Marinelli. I don't get the feeling that Mekhi will regress either as much as I think his opponents will watch tape and try to mix things up and see what else might stick. We are in for a treat over the next few seasons for sure.

For sure. As a Marinelli fan, I don't know how he's going to score on him. Marinelli come's straight through your hips and I don't think you can do that against Lewis.

On 3/24/2019 at 8:29 PM, qc8223 said:

Very well put. I hate to get on the hype train, but I watch this guy and think he was born to wrestle in a way that very, very few are.   What’s amazing is how every time he steps up to a new level there is no learning curve, he wins immediately. 

On 3/24/2019 at 8:53 AM, WillieBoy said:

I was hoping he would win. Surprised at how he lost this one. Figure he and his coaches will come back next year and he'll get a third title with a good game plan.

This post got me thinking about a statement Sanderson said in one of his interviews. He was asked how is guys prepare for the finals (I think), maybe the semi's.  Specifically if they go watch file. He stated that most of the film watching is prior because you generally know who you may possibly face.  I don't think PSU is unique to this.  All if them do it. So it makes you think.... 

Prior to the tournament all coaches probably have an idea who the top 5 seeds will be.  So they know the most likely combinations of outcomes for who they will wrestle in semi's and finals.  Since you can't watch film on eveyone you have to narrow your focus. You gain an understanding for those tendencies and prepare for the potential matchups.  Then, when you get a higher seed talent like Lewis who busts the bracket you haven't prepared for him specifically and aren't as aware of their strengths and tendencies.  

On the other hand, those 6-12 seeds are watching film and preparing for the same guys.  Also those top guys are known pretty well for their strengths and weaknesses.  Valencia-mat wrestling: Hall defense, duck, and top: S. Lee, top; McKenna-strong starter; Joseph-inside trip; etc...    

I would imagine that plays some into the upsets.  Especially for the unrealized talent level of the young mid-level seeds.