Just had one of the most blunt coach's interviews i've seen during an NCAA finals match, saying that Foster is only athletic for a period and half.  Clearly that didn't end up being the case.  Not Koll's classiest moment.  I liked his bluntness though. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

5 minutes ago, scribe said:

He was trying to say his deans are third period wrestlers. Crucify him for putting money on his kid. 

Then he should have talked about Dean.  He could have said Dean is the most conditioned greatest wrestler from the best conditioned team in the country and nobody would care.  Instead he said they just had to stay close because Foster was only an athlete for a period and a half. 

But you can keep trying to make him a victim for being an idiot.  

1 minute ago, boconnell said:

Then he should have talked about Dean.  He could have said Dean is the most conditioned greatest wrestler from the best conditioned team in the country and nobody would care.  Instead he said they just had to stay close because Foster was only an athlete for a period and a half. 

But you can keep trying to make him a victim for being an idiot.  

Are you drunk? You’ve got quite the hard on about it. Your kid won, enjoy it. 

When he said that I thought it was pretty cocky of him, but I also completely believed him for some reason, good thing Foster did not listen to that interview. 

Edited by Jim L

1 minute ago, goheels1812 said:

I’ve always found it interesting when coaches convince themselves that they have their kids in the best shape. I wouldn’t exactly put money on Cornell out conditioning all the other teams at this level. 

Coach doesn't have to convince you or me - just his own wrestlers.

This is what Koll is like. He thinks his kids are just better people. Go back and watch more interviews. He always has to subtly hint that HIS TEAM is Ivy and better. It's the kind of New England area elitism you would expect.

5 minutes ago, red blades said:

Coach doesn't have to convince you or me - just his own wrestlers.

It's great coaching to convince your guys of that.  

It's bad interviewing to run down the opponent mid match for being out of shape.

It's hilarious to a neutral observer when the guy you ran down for being out of shape goes hard for 7 minutes, scores late, and the match ends with your guy spent on his stomach.  

It's not bigger then that.  I'm not saying Kolls a bad person.  I'm saying it was a super dumb comment that came back to get him less than 10 minutes later.  

10 minutes ago, russelscout said:

This is what Koll is like. He thinks his kids are just better people. Go back and watch more interviews. He always has to subtly hint that HIS TEAM is Ivy and better. It's the kind of New England area elitism you would expect.

All true though.

11 minutes ago, russelscout said:

It's strange coming from a guy who grew up in State College which has the same personality of a midwest town.  Guessing the elitism rubbed off on him

12 minutes ago, russelscout said:

No way he believes this given the general perception about Cornell from the rest of the ivy league.  Also, he wouldn't route his team through community college if he were so arrogant. I think he just got a bit overconfident in an interview about one of his athletes, and he ended up with some egg on his face.

6 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

No way he believes this given the general perception about Cornell from the rest of the ivy league.  Also, he wouldn't route his team through community college if he were so arrogant. I think he just got a bit overconfident in an interview about one of his athletes, and he ended up with some egg on his face.

They interviewed him during a Jeremy Sweany match, and instead of answering a question about his wrestling season,  he said Sweany already had 4 elite job offers and that they value things like that more than other programs do.

Edited by LemonPie

29 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

This will be unpopular, but to be fair Koll isn't necessarily wrong.

Dean's directive was to work Foster hard but he really didn't do a great job of wearing him out.

There's a lot of things that might be correct that you shouldn't say. And obviously in this case not only was it crass and a bunch of other ****, it turned out not to be true.

2 minutes ago, LemonPie said:

They interviewed him during a Jeremy Sweany match, and instead of answering a question about his wrestling season,  he said Sweany already had 4 elite job offers and that they value things like that more than other programs do.

I'm glad somebody else brought it up. He also proceeded to say in that interview Jeremy's problems wrestling this year stem from medical issues and then went on to say what they were. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that's not his business or responsibility to let the world know Mr. Sweany's medical problems.

4 minutes ago, LemonPie said:

Yep, sounds about right.