Jump to content

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Koll can put his money on his guys all he wants WITHOUT denigrating the opponent. His comments were bush league for a coach. 

We complain often when coaches hold their cards close to their vest, but when they are open and honest about how they have scouted a kid, he gets called bush league?  He gave an honest answer (and should not have been interviewed while his kid was wrestling).   The false outrage here is a little extreme, everyone take a breath. 

Edited by jeffrideal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jeffrideal said:

We complain often when coaches hold their cards close to their vest, but when they are open and honest about how they have scouted a kid, he gets called bush league?  He gave an honest answer (and should not have been interviewed while his kid was wrestling).   The false outrage here is a little extreme, everyone take a breath. 

It didnt need to be phrased that way. He could have said the same thing without saying that about Foster. The fact that he couldn't contain himself says a lot about his outlook on his opponents. Having said that, foster wrestled great beyond 1 and half minutes, and really had a great interview. You could see he is a great kid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I’ve always found it interesting when coaches convince themselves that they have their kids in the best shape. I wouldn’t exactly put money on Cornell out conditioning all the other teams at this level. 
The Kid was always in better shape than Hodge Winner Davey Taylor. Always.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

The Kid was always in better shape than Hodge Winner Davey Taylor. Always.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
 

Bo Nickal was always in better shape than Gabe Dean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

The Kid was always in better shape than Hodge Winner Davey Taylor. Always.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
 

Dake is my favorite college wrestler of all time so you won’t get any argument from me about that haha. But it’s silly to think all Cornell wrestlers are better conditioned than their opponents. Dake was a different animal though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Koll may be all the things you guys called him on here but when did he say ALL his wrestlers were the best conditioned? He was specifically talking about ONE of his wrestlers who does in fact happen to have a very good tank. Koll has openly criticized several of his wrestlers for NOT being in 7-minute shape before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

If there's this many people taking umbrage with what he said, then maybe it crossed the line. It's not like one person thinks it's bad and everybody else doesn't have a problem with it.

Your ad populum argument doesn't hold water. 

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Koll isn't necessarily wrong. Dean needed to wear down Foster for the 1st period and a half. Dean did not do that successfully. Foster coasted a fair amount of it. 

We simply didn't see Foster get worn down as Koll had anticipated and hoped for.

NOW, that being said, a lot of you really seem to dislike Koll. That's cool by me. Just find a better argument than to use the "Foster 1.5 period" one - it's weak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Coach Koll. Called my son on a Saturday night and spent an hour and a half with him on the phone because one of his wrestlers saw him at a clinic and put him on his radar.

My wife answered and said it was some guy named "Rob Koll" and handed him the phone.

It was a Saturday night at 10pm - on the west coast. He was working the phones well into the night. It wasn't Hahn or Grey, it was the head man himself - reaching out when most guys are a couple hours into their sleep.

He may talk it, but he definitely walks it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Your ad populum argument doesn't hold water. 

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Koll isn't necessarily wrong. Dean needed to wear down Foster for the 1st period and a half. Dean did not do that successfully. Foster coasted a fair amount of it. 

We simply didn't see Foster get worn down as Koll had anticipated and hoped for.

NOW, that being said, a lot of you really seem to dislike Koll. That's cool by me. Just find a better argument than to use the "Foster 1.5 period" one - it's weak.

That's your take?

Koll definitively says Foster has only 1.5 periods.  

Foster wrestles 3 hard periods. 

You say Koll isn't wrong because the periods weren't THAT hard.

Are you seriously stringing together that argument and then calling out weak arguments from other people?  You are doing Kyle Dake worthy mental gymnastics to figure out a way that a simple idiotic statement was not in fact idiotic.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, boconnell said:

That's your take?

Koll definitively says Foster has only 1.5 periods.  

Foster wrestles 3 hard periods. 

You say Koll isn't wrong because the periods weren't THAT hard.

Are you seriously stringing together that argument and then calling out weak arguments from other people?  You are doing Kyle Dake worthy mental gymnastics to figure out a way that a simple idiotic statement was not in fact idiotic.  

I don't believe Koll definitively says Foster has only 1.5 periods of coasting... but that should be obvious, right? In context, it implies actual wrestling. And he did specifically say that Dean needed to wear on him. I just rewatched it - it's now absolute historical fact recorded on video.

Again, I have no interest in defending Koll. I'm merely stating that what we watched tonight doesn't prove Koll wrong. If Dean had done a better job at grinding on Foster, he may well have slowed down mid 2nd period and gone passive. We don't know because it didn't happen.

You have to admit, not many expected to see Mark Hall shut down as early as he did tonight either. Wouldn't be a stretch at all to see it from Foster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too was surprised that a HC would make that comment, but I don’t think I hate it.  Pretty funny that it came back to bite him though.

 

Seems like his bluntness has rubbed off on Dake who claimed one of the stalling calls on Yianna in an earlier match was the worst call in the history of college wrestling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

Seems like his bluntness has rubbed off on Dake who claimed one of the stalling calls on Yianna in an earlier match was the worst call in the history of college wrestling.

In the Kid's defense, that truly was one of the worst calls ever. Yianni shot in and had a leg, and then the ref dinged him for stalling. I couldn't believe it was happening at NCAAs to a national champion, but there it was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wrestlingnerd said:

In the Kid's defense, that truly was one of the worst calls ever. Yianni shot in and had a leg, and then the ref dinged him for stalling. I couldn't believe it was happening at NCAAs to a national champion, but there it was.

Well the Kid was wrong.  I clearly heard Tom Brands call out in the middle of a match that the call made against HIS wrestler was THE worst call ever!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

I don't believe Koll definitively says Foster has only 1.5 periods of coasting... but that should be obvious, right? In context, it implies actual wrestling. And he did specifically say that Dean needed to wear on him. I just rewatched it - it's now absolute historical fact recorded on video.

Again, I have no interest in defending Koll. I'm merely stating that what we watched tonight doesn't prove Koll wrong. If Dean had done a better job at grinding on Foster, he may well have slowed down mid 2nd period and gone passive. We don't know because it didn't happen.

You have to admit, not many expected to see Mark Hall shut down as early as he did tonight either. Wouldn't be a stretch at all to see it from Foster.

The only way you watch that interview and that match and conclude that Koll isn't wrong is if you had decided before hand that Koll wasn't wrong.  

Either way congrats to Foster and good luck to Dean next year.  Whether Foster wrestles 3 periods or half of that I am sure Dean will be ready in 2020.  I'm also sure we will never hear Koll again declare live on National TV that the other guy is only an athlete for 1.5 periods.  He seems like a smart guy and I'm sure he can recognize he was wrong even if you can't.

Edited by boconnell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, red blades said:

Well the Kid was wrong.  I clearly heard Tom Brands call out in the middle of a match that the call made against HIS wrestler was THE worst call ever!

Yes but was the ref killing the sport? That's my all time favorite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, boconnell said:

The only way you watch that interview and that match and conclude that Koll isn't wrong is if you had decided before hand that Koll wasn't wrong.  

Either way congrats to Foster and good luck to Dean next year.  Whether Foster wrestles 3 periods or half of that I am sure Dean will be ready in 2020.  I'm also sure we will never hear Koll declare live on National TV that the other guy is only an athlete for 1.5 periods again.  He seems like a smart guy and I'm sure he can recognize he was wrong even if you can't.

I get it - you have a gut instinct here. You're guessing about my perspective. Well, that's a swing and a miss for you tonight.

I think Foster wrestled tough until the end and earned the win. Nice job by him - fantastic win. 

As far as Koll being right or wrong - logic takes precedence. I can't recognize him as being wrong any more than I can recognize him as being right. Under enough pressure from Dean per the game plan, Foster may have folded. Logic dictates that Koll wasn't necessarily wrong.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

 

As far as Koll being right or wrong - logic takes precedence. I can't recognize him as being wrong any more than I can recognize him as being right. Under enough pressure from Dean per the game plan, Foster may have folded. Logic dictates that Koll wasn't necessarily wrong.

 

 

This is probably the most cowardly statement I’ve ever seen on these boards. Grow a set and make a decision. It’s not a hard match/clip to find.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×