5 minutes ago, cu155 said:

You seem awfully worked up about this, though I'm not sure why?!  If you're going to make broad generalizations you might as well try to be accurate, it might make your argument more compelling.  The whingeing about elitism just seems petty and ill-informed.

Is Koll direct in his statements?  Yes.  Does that mean he's disparaging the other wrestler?  No.  You can interpret as you wish, but it's much more likely that he was explaining his game plan for how his wrestler had been coached to handle the match based on how the previous matches had gone between the two wrestlers.  All credit to Foster for riding Dean hard and disrupting Cornell's game plan for the match.  Foster earned himself an NCAA championship and gets the last laugh.  That doesn't make Koll an ass simply because he offers unfiltered insight into how a match is being approached.  

I really don't care about what he said about Foster. It's what I expect from Koll at this point. I have made my opinion clear and youre never going to convince me otherwise. Koll was quick to call Iowa fans "a large pack of classless individuals". I have talked about how he rarely gets through an interview without reminding everyone that his school has more challenges and smarter kids, who are going to be their opponents boss someday. I find that kind of attitude repugnant and most of the time its completely irrelevant to what's being asked or what's going. You dont need to agree with me.

He’s using that platform to recruit, by speaking to both wrestlers and their parents.

I don’t believe he’s ever said his wrestlers will be his opponent’s bosses. That seems like a very insecure readout of his comments. Which might lend credence to his comments about Iowa fans. 

On 3/23/2019 at 10:37 PM, russelscout said:

This is what Koll is like. He thinks his kids are just better people. Go back and watch more interviews. He always has to subtly hint that HIS TEAM is Ivy and better. It's the kind of New England area elitism you would expect.

Cornell is not in New England, Koll is not from New England - Us New Englanders take offence :)

3 minutes ago, scribe said:

He’s using that platform to recruit, by speaking to both wrestlers and their parents.

I don’t believe he’s ever said his wrestlers will be his opponent’s bosses. That seems like a very insecure readout of his comments. Which might lend credence to his comments about Iowa fans. 

Ok, constantly reminding everyone that his kids have more options. That better? It's not a insecure reading, it's just not necessary at the NCAAs. There are plenty of smart and successful kids that come from state schools. You dont hear that kind of talk from ANYONE but Koll. Not even Ayres.

2 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Ok, constantly reminding everyone that his kids have more options. That better? It's not a insecure reading, it's just not necessary at the NCAAs. There are plenty of smart and successful kids that come from state schools. You dont hear that kind of talk from ANYONE but Koll. Not even Ayres.

It works. Cornell does have the right mixture of athletics and academics. The results on the mat speak to this advantage over every other top flight academic institution. I’d certainly expect Koll to ply this angle whenever possible. 

Ayers (and Novagratz) are putting tigether all the right pieces at Princeton and might be able to displace Koll at the top of that combo sort of program. 

1 minute ago, scribe said:

It works. Cornell does have the right mixture of athletics and academics. The results on the mat speak to this advantage over every other top flight academic institution. I’d certainly expect Koll to ply this angle whenever possible. 

Ayers (and Novagratz) are putting tigether all the right pieces at Princeton and might be able to displace Koll at the top of that combo sort of program. 

I dont disagree with that, but let the wrestling do the speaking. Koll is a great coach. I can't deny that. Personally he just really rubs me the wrong way. I just dont like hearing it during the NCAAs all the time.

10 minutes ago, Sublime607 said:

Ooh, citing the Washington Times as evidence!  Maybe Cornell has a policy against interviewing students on campus?  Maybe the reporter could have searched out students for comment *off campus*?

What was your point, again?

2 minutes ago, klehner said:

Ooh, citing the Washington Times as evidence!  Maybe Cornell has a policy against interviewing students on campus?  Maybe the reporter could have searched out students for comment *off campus*?

What was your point, again?

Citing the Washington times who is citing the Cornell sun. Point is that Cornell has been accused off hiring staff off political stance. I’m a fan of the wrestling team just not what goes on in Ithaca... the safe injection sites for heroine users are a whole other topic that has nothing to do with university but burns my ass about Ithaca.

1 hour ago, cu155 said:

You seem awfully worked up about this, though I'm not sure why?!  If you're going to make broad generalizations you might as well try to be accurate, it might make your argument more compelling.  The whingeing about elitism just seems petty and ill-informed.

Is Koll direct in his statements?  Yes.  Does that mean he's disparaging the other wrestler?  No.  You can interpret as you wish, but it's much more likely that he was explaining his game plan for how his wrestler had been coached to handle the match based on how the previous matches had gone between the two wrestlers.  All credit to Foster for riding Dean hard and disrupting Cornell's game plan for the match.  Foster earned himself an NCAA championship and gets the last laugh.  That doesn't make Koll an ass simply because he offers unfiltered insight into how a match is being approached.  

You don't think saying Foster is "only quick for a period and a half" was disparaging him?  It definitely was, but I'm sure it won't be the last time someone says something bad about him.  I'm sure he'd rather have a national title than Rob Koll think he's quick for three periods.

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

Why does this matter? Opinions evolve. Politics isn’t everything.

Unless the money and effort was done so he could spread his political message, it simply isn’t relevant. Republicans of today aren’t the same as they were when this CEO did what he did. Democrats aren’t either.

Not everything is dems vs Republicans. Stop buying into he divisive narrative. I don’t care what party someone was/is in and you shouldn’t either

Chill. I was just pointing out the irony of a wealthy and staunch Republican funding a program that had the Democratic orientation  you suggested it had. Nothing more. I am pretty much in the middle on politics and couldn't care less what the political orientation is. You are being the divisive one by painting a them vs. us (whatever your "us" may be) perspective on the topic. 

8 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Chill. I was just pointing out the irony of a wealthy and staunch Republican funding a program that had the Democratic orientation  you suggested it had. Nothing more. I am pretty much in the middle on politics and couldn't care less what the political orientation is. You are being the divisive one by painting a them vs. us (whatever your "us" may be) perspective on the topic. 

Im registered independent voter no political affiliation I call it as I see it. I see eye to eye with what your saying

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

I really don't care about what he said about Foster. It's what I expect from Koll at this point. I have made my opinion clear and youre never going to convince me otherwise. Koll was quick to call Iowa fans "a large pack of classless individuals". I have talked about how he rarely gets through an interview without reminding everyone that his school has more challenges and smarter kids, who are going to be their opponents boss someday. I find that kind of attitude repugnant and most of the time its completely irrelevant to what's being asked or what's going. You dont need to agree with me.

Sounds like an attitude that should be at BYU.

45 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

You don't think saying Foster is "only quick for a period and a half" was disparaging him?  It definitely was, but I'm sure it won't be the last time someone says something bad about him.  I'm sure he'd rather have a national title than Rob Koll think he's quick for three periods.

It's analysis! Calling this disparagement is why sports interviews are so boring. If it isn't a meaningless cliche, people react like someone just pissed on grandma's grave.

The last time they wrestled, Foster ran out of gas and Dean came from behind to win. But as Mike Tyson said, every plan only lasts until you get punched in the face. Foster's punch in the face was a second period ride that took more out of Dean than it did out of him. Dean was going to try to win that match from neutral and Foster didn't let neutral happen. In the third, when he was supposed to be spent, he wasn't. He wrestled an incredible match and deserves the title.

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

Wow.  You really are carrying a lot of baggage here, russelscout.

Have you considered therapy?

3 hours ago, ugarte said:

It's analysis! Calling this disparagement is why sports interviews are so boring. If it isn't a meaningless cliche, people react like someone just pissed on grandma's grave.

The last time they wrestled, Foster ran out of gas and Dean came from behind to win. But as Mike Tyson said, every plan only lasts until you get punched in the face. Foster's punch in the face was a second period ride that took more out of Dean than it did out of him. Dean was going to try to win that match from neutral and Foster didn't let neutral happen. In the third, when he was supposed to be spent, he wasn't. He wrestled an incredible match and deserves the title.

Yep it's more about Foster proving him wrong and the humor in Foster having the bigger gas tank in the match then it is about Koll being evil or wrong for his comments.  

Edited by boconnell

17 minutes ago, red blades said:

Wow.  You really are carrying a lot of baggage here, russelscout.

Have you considered therapy?

I dont have to like Rob Koll to be a sane person. You can gaslight all you want, it doesn't change my impression of him. I have tried to let this die, said it's only my opinion a couple times. Why is it so important to you that I retract my statements?

1 hour ago, ugarte said:

It's analysis! Calling this disparagement is why sports interviews are so boring. 

It's both analysis and disparagement.   I don't really mind that Yianni basically said the same thing ("McKenna didn't want to wrestle the whole match") since he's talking about a peer.   But for a coach to say that about a college athlete on an opposing team was surprising to say the least.  Almost reminds me of this non-boring interview:

Edited by 1032004

Very arrogant.  Granted he was geared up for the impending match and bad time for an interview but not the first time he's been in front of a camera so being the 'CEO' of Cornell wrestling, he should know better what and what not to say publicly.

On 3/25/2019 at 8:18 AM, Sublime607 said:

Oh and I’m in Ithaca right now as we speak wish I could post pics for anyone was has never seen the falls they are Life taking. “Ithaca is gorges”

btw howz the infamous suicide rate out there? Still pulling student bodies out of the student body?

Edited by Cooch1
more info

I like Koll and have been out with him and also seen him support wrestling at other events.  Good guy.  May be a little cocky but who cares.  Also, keep in mind that maybe he's been in Ithaca too long!

Ithaca10 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality."  :)