9 hours ago, russelscout said:

This is what Koll is like. He thinks his kids are just better people. Go back and watch more interviews. He always has to subtly hint that HIS TEAM is Ivy and better. It's the kind of New England area elitism you would expect.

You do realize that New York is not in New England right?

I've always viewed Koll as being a class act.

If the interview in question is his biggest gaffe to date, he's done well relative to many of his peers.

I'm reading this thread and others somewhat amazed at how butt-hurt some people can get over petty issues.

There's obviously no pleasing many here...ever. 

It does provide a high-level of amusement, though. 

12 hours ago, portajohn said:

It's strange coming from a guy who grew up in State College which has the same personality of a midwest town.  Guessing the elitism rubbed off on him

Have you ever been to Ithaca NY it's the most hardcore democratic place I have ever been... if you not with them your against them. Over 90% of the faculty and staff is democrat. unfortunately  politics plays a major part in the program and im saying this as a fan.

Edited by Sublime607

Haters gonna hate.   Koll is super transparent and candid and I for one love it.  God forbid someone say something that doesn't present every facet in the world in the most positive light possible and has the possibility to hurt someones feelings... This is the PC gestapo as far as I'm concerned.  The world is far better for having personalities like Rob Koll in it.  Would you rather he told us his wrestler needed to work hard and score more points or whatever pablum most sports interviews end up being?

Edited by lost

38 minutes ago, Sublime607 said:

Have you ever been to Ithaca NY it's the most hardcore democratic place I have ever been... if you not with them your against them. Over 90% of the faculty and staff is democrat. unfortunately  politics plays a major part in the program and im saying this as a fan.

If true, this is ironic since the program is where it is today thanks to a guy who was one of the most storied CEOs of the most prestigious "old money" investment bank in Wall Street and served in office under Republican president Bush.

13 hours ago, russelscout said:

This is what Koll is like. He thinks his kids are just better people. Go back and watch more interviews. He always has to subtly hint that HIS TEAM is Ivy and better. It's the kind of New England area elitism you would expect.

Elitism maybe, but Cornell is about 200 miles away from New England.

34 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Elitism maybe, but Cornell is about 200 miles away from New England.

Which is why I said area, not specifically New England, but I was more talking about an idea that can only be explained by that region of America where there are several Ivy's and all of the world's sweater vests.

Edited by russelscout

14 hours ago, russelscout said:

Yea Billy George was an awesome person and stuck by him through his elite cheap shot thuggery.

11 hours ago, wrestlingphish said:

This is probably the most cowardly statement I’ve ever seen on these boards. Grow a set and make a decision. It’s not a hard match/clip to find.

Relax on the 'most cowardly' BS. I've already stated clearly where I stand in my posts. (I hate when people react to a single post and don't read the whole thread)

It ain't rocket science. If you have a guy who may have gas tank issues, you grind on him early to take advantage of it. Per Koll's game plan, Dean had to grind early to get Foster to gas.

Dean didn't grind, and Foster didn't gas.

Here's where the logic comes in --- Foster winning (good match by him) doesn't make Koll wrong.

9 hours ago, russelscout said:

Which is why I said area, not specifically New England, but I was more talking about an idea that can only be explained by that region of America where there are several Ivy's and all of the world's sweater vests.

Where can I buy the super broad brushes with which you are painting?

On 3/23/2019 at 7:37 PM, russelscout said:

How exactly do Koll (a PA native) and Cornell (Central NY) get branded as being part of the New England?

EDIT:  posted this prior to reading the posts made by portajohn and cu155.

Edited by lu_alum

Rob Koll gave an interview where he was honest about how he coached Dean to take on Foster: wear him out in neutral and beat him in the third. It didn't work because Foster rode him like a jockey for most of the second period and Dean didn't quite get the reversal when he finally worked himself free. Instead of wearing Foster down and beating him up and sapping his speed, DEAN had to do the work from bottom to get even the single escape point. In the third, when the plan was for Foster to be tired, he still had the strength to get out off the whistle and the quickness to finish his shot before it became a scramble.

It isn't insulting Foster for Cornell to have had a plan or for Koll to have been honest about what the plan was. He didn't just say he tires easily, he also said that Foster is incredibly quick, so Dean has to keep the score close early when Foster has the advantage. The plan relied on Dean getting a quick escape and Foster flat blew up Koll/Dean's plans with a great second period ride. I guarantee you Foster has thick enough skin to not be insulted by the analysis and would probably feel good that he did well to ruin the planning.

As for the politics of New York, please stop talking, Sublime. You have the direction of the money exactly backwards.

Edited by ugarte

7 hours ago, cu155 said:

Where can I buy the super broad brushes with which you are painting?

You understood what I meant right? Why focus on semantics? Congrats. I admit that I should have phrased it a little differently, but here is this. Koll is an ass, and he has shown it again when given a chance to talk at the NCAAs. Direct enough?

20 hours ago, Sublime607 said:

Can you elaborate? What is the problem? You don’t agree with the faculty’s politics? 

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

You understood what I meant right? Why focus on semantics? Congrats. I admit that I should have phrased it a little differently, but here is this. Koll is an ass, and he has shown it again when given a chance to talk at the NCAAs. Direct enough?

You seem awfully worked up about this, though I'm not sure why?!  If you're going to make broad generalizations you might as well try to be accurate, it might make your argument more compelling.  The whingeing about elitism just seems petty and ill-informed.

Is Koll direct in his statements?  Yes.  Does that mean he's disparaging the other wrestler?  No.  You can interpret as you wish, but it's much more likely that he was explaining his game plan for how his wrestler had been coached to handle the match based on how the previous matches had gone between the two wrestlers.  All credit to Foster for riding Dean hard and disrupting Cornell's game plan for the match.  Foster earned himself an NCAA championship and gets the last laugh.  That doesn't make Koll an ass simply because he offers unfiltered insight into how a match is being approached.  

19 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

If true, this is ironic since the program is where it is today thanks to a guy who was one of the most storied CEOs of the most prestigious "old money" investment bank in Wall Street and served in office under Republican president Bush.

Why does this matter? Opinions evolve. Politics isn’t everything.

Unless the money and effort was done so he could spread his political message, it simply isn’t relevant. Republicans of today aren’t the same as they were when this CEO did what he did. Democrats aren’t either.

Not everything is dems vs Republicans. Stop buying into he divisive narrative. I don’t care what party someone was/is in and you shouldn’t either