RJChicago

Not a takedown

I really, really like Yianni. I thoroughly enjoyed watching his run last year at NCAAs and can't wait to see what he does in the future and I wanted him to win the NCAAs this year. But that was a terrible takedown call at the end. I thought that was almost a takedown for McKenna just a second after they called a takedown for Yianni, but in no event would I ever consider that I takedown. To see a national championship decided on that call was horrible to watch. I'm torn because Yianni going into next year as a two-time defending probably makes the sport more fun and interesting, but it made me sick to my stomach to see that call. With that and the Nolf call yesterday - it is very frustrating to see. Obviously there are always going to be tough/close calls - and difficult judgment calls like stalling and the difficult to swallow technical calls like momentary locking of the hands/hands to the face/accidental hands in headgear - but those two takedown calls, all of us know what a takedown is and isn't and those two were not and they were not hard calls - and they were hugely important calls - AND they had review. Even Nolf thought that was takedown. And the Yianni one was even worse today. 

Edited by RJChicago

Don’t care if one guy has the leg in if the other guy has a seat belt. When you teach 8 year olds how to wrestle, what position do you teach them is the better position? Guy with seat belt or guy trying to hop over? If Yianni broke him down it’d be two all day, but he didn’t. 

Wrestling is making huge strides in this country and then this tournament happened.   How do you explain to a casual fan what is and what isn't a takedown when hardcore fans don't know and worst of all, the officials don't have a freaking clue.    If someone can explain Deakin/Young to me I'd love to hear it and when your done with that, explain Valencia/Hall in addition to the ones already mentioned.

15 minutes ago, FAU said:

Wrestling is making huge strides in this country and then this tournament happened.   How do you explain to a casual fan what is and what isn't a takedown when hardcore fans don't know and worst of all, the officials don't have a freaking clue.    If someone can explain Deakin/Young to me I'd love to hear it and when your done with that, explain Valencia/Hall in addition to the ones already mentioned.

Exactly - I was watching this with my wife who knows very little about wrestling (despite my best efforts) and she said, "Oh I thought the guy in gray was in better position." I said, "Um, yeah, he is." And she said, "Why did the other guy get the points then?" Me: "Umm..."

2 hours ago, Katie said:

We're now at a point where freestyle is better than folkstyle in almost every way.

We reached that point a looooooong time ago. In my opinion, if anything folkstyle has gotten better over the last five years. But it’s still not freestyle. 

7 hours ago, Katie said:

We're now at a point where freestyle is better than folkstyle in almost every way.

Folk is plagued by incompetence in officiating.  Free is plagued by corruption and bias in officiating which is a thousand times worse.

7 hours ago, GoNotQuietly said:

There is no way at all that it wasn't 2 and 2 on the other call, so I'm fine with the makeup to let the wrestlers decide it in OT.

I think the first one could’ve been called a TD, but no NF

Do I think it was a takedown? No. So, Joey should’ve won outright imo. 

With that being said I’m glad that it(the call) sent it into OT and they had a chance to settle it on it mat. It always stings when you watch the wrestler who initiated offense in OT take the loss, but Joey only used one attack the whole time(albeit he almost scored every time) and against an alien like Yianni, can you expect to continuously score off one shot?

Idk, my heart aches for Joey. As a fan It’s been so awesome to have him compete for the bucks. Even in finishing 2nd he represented tOSU in a great way. 

Congrats to Yianni in any case! I’m a fan if he’s not wrestling a buckeye or a member of the Wolfpack! 

Edited by iGranby

I think it was a takedown, but I get the controversy. I also think the earlier no call was a takedown. On top of that, McKenna still had the chance to win in OT. 

To me, it is like the Seabass vs Lee Big10 final. I didn't agree with the calls to get it to OT, but at that point Lee still has a shot to win and didn't take advantage. 

If you keep matches close, the ref can have a major impact on the match. It can happen to anyone.