gowrestle

Throwing the brick...

get better officials.

i know. i wouldn't want to be a ref in these matches either.

but if  you are going to let the official who made the call review it, you should let the challenging coach point out on the video what he sees...opposing coach can be there for rebuttal.

Edited by GockeS

I thought that from the top view Yianni's later TD over McKenna proved to be unsubstantiated. I also wondered if the call went that way to compensate for the first challenge where Yianni dumped him over for a near danger count, but it didn't go his way. 

I like that they take a second look, and I especially appreciate when the officials decide to take a look on their own accord.

What we want is a fair match, but there are times when I think the coach is trying to slow down the action for his wrestler, and that should absolutely be penalized. Maybe just adopt the International Rules of losing a match point if the challenge is dismissed. 

I like the international challenge rule. If you are correct, you keep the brick. If you are wrong, lose the brick and opponent gets a point.

Prevents a lot of the BS challenges. But you also need to have a mat judge other the the referee calling the bout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as the same officials are the ones reviewing their own calls, they will never change their original call (unless you are in PA in front of the Penn State fans).  Seriously, though, I think there needs to be some sort of group of refs who watch and review and then determine the correct call who are not on the mat.  I understand they are all friends and will support their buddies, so that would be really hard to overcome. 

5 minutes ago, Glane18 said:

As long as the same officials are the ones reviewing their own calls, they will never change their original call (unless you are in PA in front of the Penn State fans).  Seriously, though, I think there needs to be some sort of group of refs who watch and review and then determine the correct call who are not on the mat.  I understand they are all friends and will support their buddies, so that would be really hard to overcome. 

I agree with this. The brick throwing and review system are both terrible right now. Refs are hesitant to overturn their flubbed calls half the time. Coaches seem to throw bricks to give wrestlers breathers occasionally. Too often reviewed calls still aren’t correct. We need independent video officials analyzing reviews for sure. 

Edited by goheels1812

4 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

I agree with this. The brick throwing and review system are both terrible right now. Refs are hesitant to overturn their flubbed calls half the time. Coaches seem to throw bricks to give wrestlers breathers occasionally. Too often reviewed calls still aren’t correct. We need independent video officials analyzing reviews for sure. 

The only problem with all of this is time.  I feel like it would take so long to do it correctly (a neutral group of people in the back who don't know what the call was, they make their decision, then see the call, then see what the ref is challenging, then make a conclusion).  That takes a lot of time!  

1 minute ago, Glane18 said:

The only problem with all of this is time.  I feel like it would take so long to do it correctly (a neutral group of people in the back who don't know what the call was, they make their decision, then see the call, then see what the ref is challenging, then make a conclusion).  That takes a lot of time!  

My thoughts on this are you have an independent ref at the table on each mat. When a review is called for the ref assigned to that mat goes to the monitor instead of the officials that made the call. It still wouldn’t be perfect, but the idea is that these guys would be more likely to overturn an incorrect call. And the time should be about the same as the officials on the mat going to review their own call.