Sign in to follow this  
Broomstick

Who is moving up next year?

Based on size appearance in the finals alone, I would guess Lewis to 174 and Zahid to 184.  Also, doesn't Zahid want to make room for his brother to go 174?  Or do Olympic redshirts change the equation?

The original plan was for Yianni to move up at least once. Has that changed? Getting bigger and stronger would help his freestyle aspirations. 

Lewis was 145 as a HS junior, then 160 as a senior, then 165 the last two seasons. His parents are not small people. I bet he moves up next year or the following. 

56 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Joe Smith? The 165 lb experiment fell flat on its face while Fat Joe at 174 looked fantastic. I still can't believe he was over 200 lbs at any point in his life, let alone this summer. How does John let that happen?

Because Joe is still in control of the mouth.

Koll pretty much said that Vito will be a 125er because he wants to compete at 57kg in FS long-term. I don’t know how he’ll manage his weight next season, though, he’s already big and likely still growing.

I still think Max Murin should either challenge for the 149 spot or maybe consider transferring if he doesn’t want to burn a year. He’s hinted during the season that 141 is a pretty steep cut. It’s definitely holding back his wrestling.

Also wondering if Hayden Hidlay will bump up. He looks enormous for 157, and there was buzz earlier in the season that making weight was affecting his wrestling - some thought he was regressing since last year. It would be fun to see him challenge Lewis in the ACC. But Mekhi looked kind of big also and may move out of the weight.

Edited by pamela

3 minutes ago, pamela said:

Koll said that Vito will be a 125er because he wants to compete at 57kg in FS long-term. I don’t know how he’ll manage his weight next season, though, he’s already big and likely still growing.

I still think Max Murin should either challenge for the 149 spot or maybe consider transferring if he doesn’t want to burn a year. He’s hinted during the season that 141 is a pretty steep cut.

Also wondering if Hayden Hidlay will bump up. He looks enormous for 157, and there was buzz earlier in the season that making weight was affecting his wrestling. Would be fun to see him challenge Lewis in the ACC. But Mekhi looked kind of big also and may move out of the weight too.

I don't think Hidlay will move up. That would only happen if he can't make the weight and/or the team needs him to. 

As it stands, it would be really bad for the team if he moved up. They already will have 2 legit guys at 174 (Trent and Bullard), Reenan at 184, and the other Bullard at 165. Both bullards got wins at NCAAs this year and showed glimpses of their potential. If Hidlay moves up, the whole lineup is out of wack, unless Reenan can go to 197. 

As for Vito, I think he stays at 125 unless both Yianni and Tucker go up. He can wrestle at 57kg long term and still wrestle in college at 133. He just will be on the smaller side. He tried to start at 133 this year for the team, even with the same FS expectations at 57kg. I don't think freestyle weights will stop him, he just won't bulk up for 133.

10 minutes ago, pamela said:

Koll pretty much said that Vito will be a 125er because he wants to compete at 57kg in FS long-term. I don’t know how he’ll manage his weight next season, though, he’s already big and likely still growing.

I still think Max Murin should either challenge for the 149 spot or maybe consider transferring if he doesn’t want to burn a year. He’s hinted during the season that 141 is a pretty steep cut. It’s definitely holding back his wrestling.

Also wondering if Hayden Hidlay will bump up. He looks enormous for 157, and there was buzz earlier in the season that making weight was affecting his wrestling - some thought he was regressing since last year. It would be fun to see him challenge Lewis in the ACC. But Mekhi looked kind of big also and may move out of the weight.

Call Joe Smith. 

9 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

I don't think Hidlay will move up. That would only happen if he can't make the weight and/or the team needs him to. 

As it stands, it would be really bad for the team if he moved up. They already will have 2 legit guys at 174 (Trent and Bullard), Reenan at 184, and the other Bullard at 165. Both bullards got wins at NCAAs this year and showed glimpses of their potential. If Hidlay moves up, the whole lineup is out of wack, unless Reenan can go to 197. 

As for Vito, I think he stays at 125 unless both Yianni and Tucker go up. He can wrestle at 57kg long term and still wrestle in college at 133. He just will be on the smaller side. He tried to start at 133 this year for the team, even with the same FS expectations at 57kg. I don't think freestyle weights will stop him, he just won't bulk up for 133.

Thanks for the clarifications about the NC State lineup - the website is still saying I’m out of reactions for some reason, but “Like”. 

The thing about Vito going 133 and 57kg is that didn’t the UWW weigh in times get even tighter this year? I thought they were shortening the time between weigh ins and competition but phasing in their changes over the course of a couple of years starting last year. But I guess the UWW doesn’t have NCAA-level strictness with how much athletes can cut in a week or whatever so maybe it’ll work for Vito.

31 minutes ago, pamela said:

Thanks for the clarifications about the NC State lineup - the website is still saying I’m out of reactions for some reason, but “Like”. 

The thing about Vito going 133 and 57kg is that didn’t the UWW weigh in times get even tighter this year? I thought they were shortening the time between weigh ins and competition but phasing in their changes over the course of a couple of years starting last year. But I guess the UWW doesn’t have NCAA-level strictness with how much athletes can cut in a week or whatever so maybe it’ll work for Vito.

to clarify on nc state - if Reenan can move up to 197 and Hidlay stays down at 157, they will score a ton of points from 157-197

157 - Hidlay (title contender)

165 - Thomas Bullard - went 1-2 from the 16th seed, with a top side loss to Marinelli. Lost in consis 12-11 to Gordon Wolf. I think he will be a fringe AA contender next season. 

174 - Trent Hidlay/Bullard #2 - Daniel Bullard had a close first round loss (7-5) to AA Labriola. From the 23 seed he went 1-2, beating Drew hughes and losing to Skatska, who also AAd. So he only lost to guys who AAd later. I expect him to be a fringe AA contender

184 -  Trent Hidlay/Bullard #2 - Trent Hidlay, the younger brother of the other Hidlay, was a highly touted recruit (#2 in his weight I believe? From memory so might be slightly off). During his redshirt year he went 22-2 only losing to Joe Smith (4-2) and David McFadden (3-2 in OT). He beat multiple qualifiers but nobody who AAd. He is clearly an AA contender and will start the season top 20 at either 174 or 184.

197 - Reenan - still not sure what happened to him this year. I know he got injured, but man he didnt look like he should be on the mat. When he wasn't hurt, he was beating top level guys. He is a dark horse title contender at either weight. Healthy I bet he would beat both finalists from this year at 184. 

They also have legit guys at 133/141 (Tariq) and 125.

This isn't what you asked. I got carried away. 

5 hours ago, Broomstick said:

Based on size appearance in the finals alone, I would guess Lewis to 174 and Zahid to 184.  Also, doesn't Zahid want to make room for his brother to go 174?  Or do Olympic redshirts change the equation?

I think Zahid redshirts, Anthony moves to 174. With all of the other redshirts back next year and a top notch class coming in the Devils should be top 10. If Zahid mvoes up, they've wasted the redshirts of Norfleet and Belshay both at 184 this year. Two years down the road,  Zahids back at 184, Anthony at 174 and the new class will be redshirt freshman or sophomores and hopefully another solid season. If Zeke can back up this years class with another next year, we might see some consistent top 10 finishes from ASU.

I'm also guessing Mark Hall takes an Olympic redshirt too and 174 opens up for some new faces next year.

Any chance that Luke Pletcher will move down to 125 to make a run for his senior year? He's kind of small(ish), like Spencer Lee's size?, and I thought he bumped up to 133 and 141 previously because of NaTo and DiJulius. It might leave a gap at 133 for tOSU but could also give Heinselman a chance to RS while Pletcher competes at a more natural weight class.

1 minute ago, pamela said:

Any chance that Luke Pletcher will move down to 125 to make a run for his senior year? He's kind of small(ish), like Spencer Lee's size?, and I thought he bumped up to 133 and 141 previously because of NaTo and DiJulius. It might leave a gap at 133 for tOSU but could also give Heinselman a chance to RS while Pletcher competes at a more natural weight class.

None.

26 minutes ago, pamela said:

Luke's legs weigh 100lbs by themselves.  The rest of his body is the remaining 33 pounds.  Cutting to 125?  hehe... that would not be in his best interest methinks.

1 hour ago, westfan said:

I think Zahid redshirts, Anthony moves to 174. With all of the other redshirts back next year and a top notch class coming in the Devils should be top 10. If Zahid mvoes up, they've wasted the redshirts of Norfleet and Belshay both at 184 this year. Two years down the road,  Zahids back at 184, Anthony at 174 and the new class will be redshirt freshman or sophomores and hopefully another solid season. If Zeke can back up this years class with another next year, we might see some consistent top 10 finishes from ASU.

I'm also guessing Mark Hall takes an Olympic redshirt too and 174 opens up for some new faces next year.

I don't think Zahid redshirts next year. He goes to 184 where he will I think be able to win another NCAA title.  184 this year was pretty good but who returns next year? Nobody he can't beat.  Plus he already redshirted so I don't see him taking an Olympic redshirt honestly.  The Devil's lineup at least the uppers will look like this probably...

49: Teemer

57: Maruca

65: Shields

74: A. Valencia

84: Z. Valencia

97: Norfleet

285: Hall

That's a pretty damn good lineup.  If Busiello and Chlebove can step in and compete right away at 25 and 33, that is a solid lineup.  

From a state that isn't wrestling rich, and inherited a team that was pretty bad I think Zeke is right where he should be.  If Ortiz or Charles were the coach still, no way do they land Valencia, Hall, Shields, or Hall.  Remember the university dropped the program until Art Martori threatened the athletic department.  This wasn't a program that was always solidand in good wrestling country.  ASU was in a bad way, and Shawn Charles put a band aid on it for a few years, but they needed somebody like Zeke long term who would be able to recruit on a national level.  ASU always had the potential but once they fired Lee Roy, that put them on a downward swing.