Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

The Yianni Calls???

Can someone explain?

In the 2rd period, from a scramble, Yianni flipped McKenna so he was flat on his back. He held him there for a two-count. Isn't that 2 points for putting McKenna in danger-- even if it was not a takedown?

Or do you need more than a two-count? 

In the end, the refs gave Yianni 2 and McKenna 1. It could have been just two for Yianni.

Please explain.

in the 3d, the ref gave Yianni a takedown, which was dubious, and he gave McKenna an escape, which was also dubious. I am not sure about the TD. But if Yianni was in control, he never lost control.

Edited by NJDan

1 minute ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Blown call, then make-up call.

That's possible.

But my bigger question is about the second period. Was the brick challenge really about the lack of a TD or was it about not getting the danger points? Or was it about both? Pr do we not know what it was about?

They challenged it being TD and 2 backs I believe. That sequence should have been 2 TD 2 Backs for Yianni. 1 escape for McKenna. 3rd period no TD. Lots of controversial calls in thia year's finals unfortunately. Something has to be done about that. 

Have to have been in control to get near fall. And being in danger should start a danger count for the TD. But generally it's about two seconds before starting the count to ensure some degree of control. Then three more seconds to get the TD.

Honestly I think crowd noise for Cornell wrestler may influenced call in 3rd period was close to points in 2nd period.  Popular or best athletes always get calls. He got a close call in the semis also on the 3 seconds danger rule