dpd926

Pittsburgh grades

How did Pittsburgh do as a host?

PPG Paints Arena: "B" There was a lot of talk that the arena would be too small but the attendance each session was around 18,000. 

Hotels: (n/a for me) There are a lot downtown. How were they with/for the fans?

Restaurants: "B+" The ones I went to seemed to handle the crowds well. Food was good, food options were pretty varied.

Nightlife: "A" Again, a lot of choices, from downtown, Strip, South Side, North Shore, Lawrenceville. All were handy and busy.

Getting Around: "B" If staying dowtown, it's pretty easy to.walk places or UBER

Fans: "A" Great atmosphere in the arena and in the streets

Locals: "A" Locals seemed happy to host

Fan Fest: "A" Great crowds, great venue - never been to a convention center with such a scenic view

Overall, I'd give Pittsburgh an A- or B+ as as host. 

anyone encounter the riots?

was the arena too small? you mention it, but you dont say anything

the arena for big 10's in minny was awesome... until you went to the concourse.

There was a strong police presence dowtown for a few blocks around the courthouse. I didnt see any protestors. 

Arena was not too small. 18,000 per session average. Fans were fired up. Not sure if a lot of long-time attendees not getting tickets meant that more first-time attendees replaced them, but energy was great for the finals.

Food - pretty damn good.  On the expensive side, but tasty meat and cocktails.  PSUMike was on the money with Meat and Potatoes, Butcher in the Rye.  Blend was a good cigar and high-end cocktail bar strategically located to interfere with getting to FanFest.   primantis sandwiches are always great.  Carson Street had more bars than every other business combined.   The South Side is pretty seedy as a whole though, 

Locals were very nice.  They actually had greeters and people to give directions.  You will NEVER see this in NYC.  Fortunately all the streets run in a parallel and perpendicular grid so you don't need it.  Nice to see smiling pleasant people though. 

Arena was plenty nice enough.  Ushers were mostly very cool.  

Pittsburgh as a whole was a little rough except the immediate downtown.  They need an influx of cash for infrastructure, etc. 

The city seemed happy to have us.  I would definitely go back. 

How was the weather in Pittsburgh? I thought folks were expecting snow and ugly conditions, but the glamour shots of the city on ESPN were gorgeous. Maybe it was stock or archive footage, I dunno.

6 minutes ago, pamela said:

How was the weather in Pittsburgh? I thought folks were expecting snow and ugly conditions, but the glamour shots of the city on ESPN were gorgeous. Maybe it was stock or archive footage, I dunno.

At some points FFFFFREEZING.    Friday after the morning session all the way up to the semis it was sleeting / snowing.  No choice but to hide in a tavern for 4 hours.  Yesterday was chilly but sunny.  Thursday was too long ago to remember but sunny and acceptable I think.   Pittsburgh Spring needs work. 

Another + for the PPG Paints Arena: After the first session, they realized that opening the doors 1-hour prior (making fans stand out in the cold) wouldn’t work & started opening doors 90-minutes prior. Let people on the concourse of the arena and then allowed them to go to their seats one hour prior.

Same for the NCAA Experience reception (food and open bar). They started admitting people about 10 minutes early so those in the queue could actually get their one hour of access to food and beverages.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by lu_alum

It looks like all the controversy stemming from Minnesota coach, Brandon Eggum, tweeting about PPG Arena only holding 16,000 fans, was a bit misguided. It was announced that 2019 was the 5th-highest attendance total in NCAA Wrestling Championships history.

Edited by dpd926

Pittsburgh has class. Polite people with a sense of community pride. Very little roadside garbage.

It's a great wrestling city. Great fanbase.

Great venue.

I didn't encounter any problems except it's a little tough to navigate, but not impossible.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The arena wasn’t great in my opinion. 

Im sure Penguins will try to hunt me down, but it doesn’t have much character. 

I like St. Louis, Phili, and Oklahoma City’s arenas better. 

It looks like all the controversy stemming from Minnesota coach, Brandon Eggum, tweeting about PPG Arena only holding 16,000 fans, was a bit misguided. It was announced that 2019 was the 5th-highest attendance total in NCAA Wrestling Championships history.

They expanded the seats and added floor seats for the final session. So the final session was bigger than the first five

2 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

They expanded the seats and added floor seats for the final session. So the final session was bigger than the first five

From Mark Palmer's Intermat article...

"The 2019 NCAAs will go down in the history books for being well-attended. On Saturday, 18,436 fans took in the action during the medal round of Session 5 ... while 18,950 witnessed the finals, the fifth-highest attendance ever for a Session 6. Total attendance for the first Pittsburgh-hosted NCAAs since 1957: 109,405, which ranks as the sixth-greatest total in NCAA history."

Reported attendance by session...

I: 17,949

II: 17,957

III: 18,013

IV: 18,100

V: 18,436

VI: 18,950

Every NCAA tournament adds floor seats on Saturday due to reduction of the footprint of the mats being utilized - Pittsburgh was not unique in doing this. It will be interesting to see how this will be handled in Minneapolis.

Overall, the actual attendance numbers were much more in line with other venues being utilized than they were to the 16,000 various people were projecting they'd be six weeks ago.

I'd give Pittsburgh a B+

Fan Fest was a C, mainly because it was a long walk
Hotels downtown were a C, mainly because of jacked up prices and not a lot of them
Restaurants and such were an A-, lots to choose from if you ventured off the main path
Arena was an A, not really a bad seat in the house and lots of options for beer or food
Weather...C, I thought the NCAA could control this, maybe it's the only thing they can't.

Overall it was better than anticipated and I would go back.

Pittsburgh was a great host. Good arena, fun city. The only critique I have, not sure if it a NCAA or arena choice, but trying to views scores or view wrestlers on deck were very changeling. Not sure why they need have the team score on the big screen the whole time. I couldn't view the score of certain mats because the mat was fair away and the scroll on the second level would be blocked by the score board.  I would think put the scores on the score board and remove the team score.    

No complaints about Pittsburgh - venue, hotel, bars, food etc were all quality.  South side had some great dive bars, which amazingly still let you smoke in them.  All the natives that weren't wrestling fans were nice and seemed genuinely curious about the wrestling.  Biggest gripe was the price of the tickets but that's not on the city.  Great job, Cleveland and Pittsburgh both hit it out of the park. 

Edited by Gantry

Pittsburgh was just fine as a host city. 

My only gripe about the entire tournament is that the PPG Paints Arena had a lot of trouble getting fans in the door before the first session.  The first whistles blew with very few people in their seats.  

Edited by Frank_Rizzo

11 hours ago, dpd926 said:

Reported attendance by session...

I: 17,949

II: 17,957

III: 18,013

IV: 18,100

V: 18,436

VI: 18,950

Every NCAA tournament adds floor seats on Saturday due to reduction of the footprint of the mats being utilized - Pittsburgh was not unique in doing this. It will be interesting to see how this will be handled in Minneapolis.

Overall, the actual attendance numbers were much more in line with other venues being utilized than they were to the 16,000 various people were projecting they'd be six weeks ago.

whats the peak for attendance if size of venue wasn't an issue?

What are everyone's thoughts about going to the following:

Minneapolis:  being in a football stadium will you not need binoculars to view the matches?

Detroit:  let's be honest and say that the fan experience in Detroit is less than ideal

If I were going to go back to Oklahoma I would look at the BOK in Tulsa.  That is a good sized arena with several things not to far away. 

The very best arena other that Madison Square Garden for the fan experience would be Bridgestone Arena in Nashville.  If Nashville can host the NHL All Star Game and the 2019 NFL Draft the NCAA Wrestling Tournament would be a piece of cake.  The only issue would be things are not cheap in Nashville.

1.  weather would be nice

2.  bars with live music, restaurants and hotels are less than 25 yards from the hotel

3.  convention center for the fan experience would be less than a 100 yard walk from Bridgestone Arena

Edited by Bryan

1 hour ago, Michigan wrestling said:

I would think put the scores on the score board and remove the team score.    

Agree. Why couldn't the bout score and clock be on score board? Did other arenas have scores and time. Can't remember.