dpd926

Pittsburgh grades

Would attendance suffer if NCAAs were set in a warmer but less with D1 wrestling part of the country like Southern California, Florida, or Texas? I figure why not give traveling fans a little treat after following their teams through a season of cold weather? It might also be a good 2-for-1 for the wrestlers since it overlaps with some of their spring breaks.

4 minutes ago, pamela said:

Would attendance suffer if NCAAs were set in a warmer but less with D1 wrestling part of the country like Southern California, Florida, or Texas? I figure why not give traveling fans a little treat after following their teams through a season of cold weather? It might also be a good 2-for-1 for the wrestlers since it overlaps with some of their spring breaks.

As far I am concerned, any D1 wrestling school should have spring break the same week as NCAA wrestling (and the primary week of basketball nonsense. It is about the right time anyway. 

Obviously, differnt if on terms, not semesters, and maybe if Easter is in March

I still don't understand the difference in getting through the gates the first day and the rest and especially given the fact that the hockey games don't have this issue with what should be similar sized crowds.

One small thing I thought was a good idea that I hadn't noticed elsewhere was to not take tickets until going up the escalator after you were in the main lower lobby.

My scoreboard thoughts were similar to an above post. In the past they only showed the now wrestling on the ribbon board rather than on-decks (at least not on the same circle). As a result there was room for two sets of them. I needed my chiropractor to see the mats behind me. And people farther up (I was in lower row c) wouldn't be able to see the ones on their side at all. 

My solution would have been to eliminate the lower ring team scores since they were on the central video board and replicate the upper ring (I liked having the on decks showing) but rotate them 180 degrees so everything was in front of you.

I loved it and thought Pittsburgh was great.  This was my first time going to the tournament, so I can't compare it to other years. The arena staff was friendly and helpful. Food at the NCAA experience was great. Local food was great. The one bar I went to on the South Side even had a Friday Lenten menu, which I appreciated as a Catholic. 

One problem with Pittsburgh is the placement of the Tables, immediately adjacent to the mats. Oh, this has been the case since we went to commercial arenas in 2000, save 2001.

Too many wrestlers get hurt on the tables. I don't know how many guys have defaulted in the 20 years, but I find it surprising if it is zero. It happens way too often, sooner or later the injury will be catastrophic, or at least career ending. I would opine 8 feet from active circle to table in College (7' HS, 6' MS/JHS, 5' Elementary)minimums.

Here are some numbers. On one side the seven collapsable rows were indeed collapsed. on the other it looks, like they were completely open. My suggestion. Collapse 5 rows of seats on either side. this means a net loss of three rows. This means about seven feet more between tables, thus another three feet+ of protection for the competitors.  This adjustment would probably result in about 240-270 seats for purchase, maybe $50-70 thousand less in revenue, for NCAA. And yeah I would not like to be one of the 250 shut out in the first 4 rounds. (possibly most of those could be made available on Friday evening) .

Of course NCAA is not the only place with this problem. It seams everywhere  

Edited by RichB

One problem with Pittsburgh is the placement of the Tables, immediately adjacent to the mats. Oh, this has been the case since we went to commercial arenas in 2000, save 2001.
Too many wrestlers get hurt on the tables. I don't know how many guys have defaulted in the 20 y ars, but I find it surprising if it is zero. It happens way too often, sooner or later the injury will be catastrophic, or at least career ending. I would opine 8 feet from active circle to table in College (7' HS, 6' MS/JHS, 5' Elementary)minimums.
Here are some numbers. On one side the seven collapsable rows of were indeed collapsed. on the other it looks, like the other were completely open. My suggestion. Collapse 5 rows of seats on either side. this means a net loss of three rows. This means about seven feet more between tables, thus another three feet of protection for the competitors.  This adjustment would probably result in about 240-270 seats for purchase, maybe $50-70 thousand less in revenue, for NCAA. And yeah I would not like to be one of the 250 shut out in the first 4 rounds. (possibly most of those could be made available on Friday evening) .
Of course NCAA is not the only place with this problem. It seams everywhere  

Shouldn’t be an issue next year, as the dome floor should have ample space to provide 5-feet of clearance b/t the edge of the mat and the scorer’s table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point LU-Alum. Indeed not a problem in football stadiums. Too bad North American hockey rinks are 85' by 200' --- International hockey arenas are 98.5' by 197'.

Also, there are likely arenas were this is not possible. For Example, Hershey's Giant Center has totally fixed seats seats on one side (the Club and home bench side) and about six collapsable rows on the other, penalty box, side. 8 mats might best be placed in two squares of four, with the very middle having scoring and medical tables.(There may be other methodologies).

I'd go with a B.

City: It was my first time visiting and I really enjoyed the city. Nice downtown and some very scenic views.

Service: My experience was generally bad.

Arena: Nice with decent food options. Friday morning debacle was bad but it improved.

Atmosphere in arena:. I understand it was not the most competitive year in the team race but I really felt the crowd was dead. It did not touch many of the other tournaments. Perhaps it was because there were fewer team affiliated fans due to the low allotments. I went in thinking this was ground zero for wrestling and there would be rabid wrestling fan base that would really be into it but that wasn't the case.

Tickets: Tickets were plentiful out front with scalpers. No clue what they were asking. I do know that many people were scared away by the scarcity of tickets leading up to the event. I had a novice fan I met at a restaurant tell me he tried to buy tickets but saw $1000 and was dissuaded. I hope the nosebleed low price tickets ($158) in MSP encourage casual fans to attend along with as many young wrestlers as possible.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, RichB said:

Good point LU-Alum. Indeed not a problem in football stadiums. Too bad North American hockey rinks are 85' by 200' --- International hockey arenas are 98.5' by 197'.

Also, there are likely arenas were this is not possible. For Example, Hershey's Giant Center has totally fixed seats seats on one side (the Club and home bench side) and about six collapsable rows on the other, penalty box, side. 8 mats might best be placed in two squares of four, with the very middle having scoring and medical tables.(There may be other methodologies).

At the giant center I would take coach crowell's suggestion and put the scoring tables in the first couple of rows of seats. Obviously, that means they would go to eight mats.

Nothing wrong with the food in the town or the arena itself, Pittsburgh people seemed very relaxed with the influx of NCAA wrestling fans. From what i understand Football fans are very trying on bars hotels and the town itself. So with that said, while you guys were boozing it up between sessions 3 and 4, me and two others I was with took a private guided tour of Pittsburgh. Here are just a few of the things that Pittsburgh is known for.

This is the city of bridges 446 in the area, more than any city in the world.

Emoticon was invented here in 1980

Polio vaccine was created here 1950.

Has more bars per capita than any city in the US. 12 per 10,000 residents 

Big Mac was invented here and first sold in 1967.

The first commercial radio station in the world went on the air in 1920, KDKA

The first world series was held in 1903 between the Pirates and the Boston Americans, Americans won 5 games to 3.

The city of Pittsburgh was OFFICIALLY spelled Pittsburg (no H ) for 20 years, from 1891-1911. And is etched in stone, still at the Pennsylvania train station there. 

George Washington was commissioned to go to Pittsburgh to take bake the territory, taken by the french.He was defeated and went back embarrassed

The country's first gas station opened in east Liberty in 1913.

Any one notice the self driving UBER cars around town?

The first PUBLIC radio stationed in the country  ,WQED. Where MR. Rogers was on, "neighborhood of make believe"  was here in Pittsburgh

Carnegie Museum of Art is here, The worlds first modern art museum.

Andy Warhol was born here, and  his museum is here.

The great Allegheny Passage starts or ends here going 334 miles to just outside of Washington D.C. Takes 6 days to bike. It is longer than the Application Trail. When you get to DC, Amtrak will let you put your bike on the train and bring you back.

Happy that most of you guys enjoyed our city.  This and Cleveland were the only NCAA Championships I've ever been to, and it's pretty similar.  Cleveland has the edge in the food scene.  

SouthEnd---

The Big Mac was actually invented in Canonsburg, A few dozen miles south. Canon-Mac HS mascot is  the BigMacs. Combining Canon-Mac witheir Predecessor, Canonsburg, I think you get the most wrestling wins in PA, and #2 in champs.

Appalachian Trail is 2200 miles long- Several other Bike trails are or will connect to G.A.P.  Making 5-600 mile trips possible .

Surprised they did not mention the first commercial Nuclear  Electric facility in the US, and the first of commercial scale(Naval sized reactor 10th the size of TMI etc.) was in Shippingport, 25 miles away.

Also that the Allegheny River which joins the Monongahela in Pittsburgh to form is the true source of the Ohio-Missouri-Mississippi River system (By Volume) should have been mentioned. 

But you did good, :-)

Edited by RichB

I checked on something about Madison Square Garden (the current one is actually the fourth) and getthe impression that in a decade or two Number Five will be built. I assume they will attempt to make it the biggest (at least Biggest NBA-NHL arena)

For me and a lot of people who attended Auburn Hills from what I remember, we had to drive everywhere.  Hotels were far from the stadium, dealing with getting in and out of the parking lot every session was a pain, I don't remember any public transport I could take, there wasn't much walkable near the stadium, etc.  I think smartphones (especially Uber and Google Maps/Waze) do change the game a bit here, as it's a lot easier to get quick transportation in unknown cities now and quickly find a good bar/area/restaurant to hang.  But back then it stunk how much time we had to spend in our car before/after/between sessions - and I felt like we spent more time at our hotel and big chain restaurants like TGI Fridays than most other years. 

Edited by Gantry

I really luved this year NCAA--    A to A-

Luved the PPG Arena and the service people inside.  Made great adjustments & were clean and friendly.  Soooo much nicer than Cleveland!  Great food, a little costly but really good and many options

Hotels were closer and better-at least for me and felt much safer.  Luv being downtown in these cities and luved Cleveland last year for this reason but didn't feel as safe last year or experience cleanliness in quicken Loans Areans.

Biggest complaint---we had great seats- Section 102 (lower Bowl center mat)  But many of those around us were there to drink or party or eat and didn't seem like true fans.  Not sure where they got their tickets!?!  But most were not there for the start of Sessions (outside of Saturday night) and there was a steady stream of up down heading in and out for food, bathroom, whatever-  This made it really hard to watch becasue someone was always standing up DURING Matches and causing others to stand to see!  Really annoying after a while.  This may go back to what someone else mentioned that the crowd didn't seem as into it as usual.

Otherwise had a super great time and luved it!!

16 minutes ago, Bilchuk said:

Biggest complaint---we had great seats- Section 102 (lower Bowl center mat)  But many of those around us were there to drink or party or eat and didn't seem like true fans.  Not sure where they got their tickets!?!  But most were not there for the start of Sessions (outside of Saturday night) and there was a steady stream of up down heading in and out for food, bathroom, whatever-  This made it really hard to watch becasue someone was always standing up DURING Matches and causing others to stand to see!  Really annoying after a while.  This may go back to what someone else mentioned that the crowd didn't seem as into it as usual.

Certainly don't disagree a lot of people getting up but that is going to be more of the norm now that you can drink alcohol in the stadium.  People had to "cram in" their drinking before during the break in sessions and normally didn't start until after the morning session.  Now they can go from an hour before the first session for the rest of the day.  More drinking = more bathroom trips = more people getting up to by beer = more fans a little more out of it. 

Edited by Gantry

1 hour ago, Gantry said:

Certainly don't disagree a lot of people getting up but that is going to be more of the norm now that you can drink alcohol in the stadium.  People had to "cram in" their drinking before during the break in sessions and normally didn't start until after the morning session.  Now they can go from an hour before the first session for the rest of the day.  More drinking = more bathroom trips = more people getting up to by beer = more fans a little more out of it. 

Thanks Gantry-I actually wondered if that was the new norm for the same reason.  I didn't experience it much last year at Quicken Loans Arena but fear it may be the future-Dang!

10 hours ago, Gantry said:

For me and a lot of people who attended Auburn Hills from what I remember, we had to drive everywhere.  Hotels were far from the stadium, dealing with getting in and out of the parking lot every session was a pain, I don't remember any public transport I could take, there wasn't much walkable near the stadium, etc.  

Well thank God we are not going back to Auburn Hills. 

On 3/24/2019 at 10:22 PM, JasonBryant said:

They expanded the seats and added floor seats for the final session. So the final session was bigger than the first five

I wondered what the view was like on those "floor seats"....don't know if you could see very well if you weren't in the front?????  I did like Pitt overall.....the "T" helped a lot, hotel reasonable, arena was good, atmosphere great, announcers did a great job....:), my group was real happy with the weekend, and they've gone with me for probably the last 6 or 7.  I'd add it to my list of St. Louis and Okla. City......didn't have a great experience in NY, but it was largely due to our accomodations....they su_ed.  Glad they got the countdown in on attendee's for no. of NCAA's attended.....increments were too great though  .....20-30, 30-40 is too great....... should be 20-25, 25-30, 30-35, etc.  Maybe it was due to time restraints, but I'd eliminate the first year attendees before I took away from those who have been coming for half their life....personally, this may seem like a small thing, but I think it creates a goal/motivating factor for people to want to come back year after year.....just another "small" thing that can help our sport to grow.

Edited by fadzaev2

21 hours ago, Frank_Rizzo said:

Pittsburgh was just fine as a host city. 

My only gripe about the entire tournament is that the PPG Paints Arena had a lot of trouble getting fans in the door before the first session.  The first whistles blew with very few people in their seats.  

It happened in Cleveland as well.....both first year venues for this event.....it's as if they aren't really ready for this event.

Enjoyed having Pittsburgh as a host. It's a very walkable city with a lot of dining options not too far outside the arena. They did have a lot of trouble with the first session, but that was resolved the rest of the tournament