CoachWrestling

Iowa returns 7 All Americans next year

Assuming they dont I imagine their line up would imagine their line up would be: teske, rby, Lee, berk, berge, cenzo, hall, Rasheed, Connell, cassar.

Another lineup with the potential for 10 aas though 125 is probably a bit of a long shot. There is probably more champ potential for psu but it will be close if both teams come ready to go.

On 3/25/2019 at 10:47 AM, lu1979 said:

I am not saying Wilke is a sure fire AA by any means - I would probably have him ranked preseason in the 10 to 15 range.  That would not include any incoming freshman many of whom will be in the mix too. (Brooks, Hoffman, Bolen come to mind) I just think he is right there and he will be competitive with the best guys next year.  He still has to get it done.  I also don't think he had a terrible NCAA tournament - he lost to guys you would have expected him to. 

You guys are agreeing with each other

wilcke has the potential to AA. We don’t know if he will. He is a R12 type guy, which means with 1 upset and/or a lucky draw, he can AA. 

37 minutes ago, Perry said:

Assuming they dont I imagine their line up would imagine their line up would be: teske, rby, Lee, berk, berge, cenzo, hall, Rasheed, Connell, cassar.

Another lineup with the potential for 10 aas though 125 is probably a bit of a long shot. There is probably more champ potential for psu but it will be close if both teams come ready to go.

I actually think Beard would beat Conel out if PSU wanted to go with him, but Cael may prefer to leave all the youngest guys (less RBY) on redshirt. 

If you have Connell why not use him? Hes proven he can beat Moore who is the pre season number 1. Then again that was also before he was injured so who knows where he is at now

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

If Cassar is wrestling then I don't believe they punt. 

I think it is a high probability that Cassar will get a 6th year and that he will be competing.  Connel and Rasheed are harder to predict.  If they have all 3 PSU is in really good shape - they will start the season with 7 AAs 3 of whom are past Champions.  Even with a weak spot at 125 and unknown quality at 149 and 157 that would be tough to beat.  Without both of those guys coming back they will have 2 new studs in those spots.  There are no guarantees with new freshman but considering what Brooks and Beard have been doing this past season and PSU's track record with new guys they are still going to be really good.  I don't think Cael's doing any punting next year.

Edited by lu1979

157 will be dominated by young guns next season as the weight completely clears out. I will be interested in seeing how a healthy berge looks. I would not be surprised to see him looking much improved with an extra 8 pounds on his frame, kid was pretty sucked down this season

23 minutes ago, Perry said:

157 will be dominated by young guns next season as the weight completely clears out. I will be interested in seeing how a healthy berge looks. I would not be surprised to see him looking much improved with an extra 8 pounds on his frame, kid was pretty sucked down this season

Berge has a bunch of freestyle wins over guys like Carr and O'Connor. Like you, I'm sure at his optimal weight he'd be pretty good. 

On 3/25/2019 at 12:43 AM, VakAttack said:

Sure. I started wrestling in high school. My coach always preached "Iowa style! Iowa style!" So it stuck with me. I also rooted for Lehigh for awhile because a few Florida kids i went to school at the same time went there, like David Craig and Brandon Hatchett. But that's how I became an Iowa fan.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This was common for those of us who wrestled in high school in the 80s and 90s. There wasn't wrestling on TV unless you lived in the state of Iowa, but we all knew about Iowa anyway. We'd get VHS tapes of Iowa wrestling and watch them, and "Iowa Style" was a legitimate thing talked about all over. PSU is the big name now, but Iowa had a real mystique about them that I don't think we'll see again in this sport. Similar to how you can argue that we've had better wrestlers since Gable, but nobody has matched the Gable mystique. So it is easy to believe that there are a lot of Iowa wrestling fans around the country in their 30s to 50s who have 0 ties to the University of Iowa and have only been to the state to watch wrestling.

On 3/24/2019 at 9:01 AM, LemonPie said:

174, 133, and 165 will be seriously stacked once again.  Kem ain’t making a big difference 

So youre saying kem wont put up more points than the 0 the hawks put up this year?

People are saying 2021 will be Iowa's year, but imo Brands needs to go all in next year and take advantage of an opportunity. Discourage Spencer Lee from taking an ORS, pull redshirts if need be, whatever it takes. He also needs to get in front of the whole potential "10 years without a title" narrative and manage outside expectations.

Tom has 2 years to win a title. That is his long he has Marinelli. He isn’t going to let Spencer Miss a year of Marinelli. 2 title contenders doesn’t come around often. They just need both 1 year and they have a shot at the title. They can’t let 1 guy lose a year while the other isn’t competing. 

Iowa will go for it in 2020. All 3 other power teams are going to have a down year, some may also add some Olympic redshirts, weakening them further, and Iowa has 7 AAs plus options at 241, a 2 time r12 1 time r16 senior, and a stud freshman heavyweight. On paper this is the best Iowa team in a long time and it happens to come together on everyone else’s down year.

this is the best chance for a non powerhouse to sneak a title in. Missouri will be in trouble with Eierman redshirting, but if they are looking good I wouldn’t be surprised if he came back. 

Cornell could be up there too if a freshman or two pan out. Vito and Yianni could take Olympic shirts though 

nc state theoretically. They had a bad year but have 7 AA threats.