TBar1977

Redshirts and Greyshirts Breaking Thru Next Year

Off the top of my head, here are some guys who I think are going to leap into the All American conversation right out of the gate

133 - Joey Silva, Michigan, assuming Micic taking an Oly redshirt

141 - Real Woods, Stanford. Real lost a very hard fought 6-3 battle with Nick Lee at The Southern Scuffle, but he dominated everyone else. He is legit as can be. 

149 - Sammy Sasso, Ohio State. Top 5 from day 1. Brayton Lee, Minnesota. 

157 - More guys at this weight than any other. Jacori Teemer, Arizona State, David Carr Iowa State, Will Lewan, Michigan, Jaden Mattox Ohio State and maybe even a guy like Justin McCoy at Virginia. If you were a low AA this year, these guys are going to make you earn it next year. 

165 - Shane Griffith, Stanford

174 - Trent Hidlay, NC State, Anthony Valencia, Arizona State since I expect Zahid to either go 184 or take an Olympic RS. Michael Kemerer, Iowa.

184 Hunter Bolen, Va Tech, Gavin Hoffman, Ohio State, and if Rasheed does not get his 6th year then pencil in Aaron Brooks, Penn State.

197 - Tanner Sloan, South Dakota State, and if Kyle Conel can't go sat Penn State you can expect Michael Beard to be a force from Day 1. Then there is the coming off injury Ben Darmstadt, a title contender. 

Hwt - Anthony Cassioppi, Iowa, Tanner Hall, Arizona State, Jere Heino, Campbell. I am going to add one high school wrestler here, Daniel Kerkvliet, Ohio State just because he's that good. 

Anyone else I forgot?

Edited by TBar1977

2 minutes ago, Katie said:

149- Brayton Lee

Yeah, he too should be on the list. Making edits like crazy. 

Note, there are some others I thought about but didn't think they could/would AA so I kept them off the list. The 197 at Northwestern is a guy like that. I am going to add in Anthony Valencia at 174 since I think Zahid will finally move up, or Oly RS. 

Edited by TBar1977

Adding to your list

125- Camacho (NCState), Melendez (UNC)

133- Zach Sherman (UNC)

141- Cole Matthews (Pitt)

141- Malik Johnson (Mizzou)

157- Brayton Lee (Minnesota)

197- Lucas Davison (Northwestern)

Anthony Valencia at ? weight

Could Mauller/Leeth make 141?  If so where would that leave Malik (#1 ranked kid out of HS)?  Eierman is probably ORS next season, and both Leeth and Mauller are returning AA's at 149.  Unless they do a mass bump, Jacques to 165, Flynn to 174, Leeth/Mauller to 157, then one of them will have to drop or Mauller will have to RS.

Edited by KCMO2

I hope the time off from competition has been positive and rejuvenating for Anthony Valencia. People were wondering if he HEW last year but I don't think he's hit his ceiling yet.

9 minutes ago, pamela said:

Brands could make some noise next year if he ends up starting.

Agreed, but where's his spot?  Young just finished 5th at 157, and then there's Marinelli at 165.  Marinelli could bump to 174 with Bowman's departure (but he ain't beating Zahid or Hall), and then Young or Brands could go 165, but are they all big enough to bump?

Edited by KCMO2

1 hour ago, KCMO2 said:

Could Mauller/Leeth make 141?  If so where would that leave Malik (#1 ranked kid out of HS)?  Eierman is probably ORS next season, and both Leeth and Mauller are returning AA's at 149.  Unless they do a mass bump, Jacques to 165, Flynn to 174, Leeth/Mauller to 157, then one of them will have to drop or Mauller will have to RS.

Colby Smith probably slots at 133 for Missouri, and Lane Stigall may slide in somewhere allowing Mauller and/or Jacques to redshirt.

Mason Phillips was injured this year while redshirting for UNC. Guy was a stud in high school though. His senior year he majored Quincy Monday in the Super 32 finals and Monday was solid for Princeton as a true freshman at 157 this year. 

Obviously injuries can be tricky, but Phillips could come in for unc at 157 and give them a great 149-165 punch with O’Conner, Phillips, and K . Monday. 

7 minutes ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Colby Smith probably slots at 133 for Missouri, and Lane Stigall may slide in somewhere allowing Mauller and/or Jacques to redshirt.

Colby Smith is apparently transferring to Lindenwood....

1 hour ago, NCBuckeye said:

Does he make the lineup?  Could be a three way battle among him, Ethan Smith, and Romero (if karchla goes right away).  

Good question! I don't have any insights there, just a feeling that Jordan's pedigree will make the lineup. Maybe one of those guys will be 184?