Sign in to follow this  
RJChicago

Which Graduating Seniors Have The Highest International Potential?

Hello all - I'm sorry if this is a very basic question and obvious to everyone. But I would love to know, of those whose college careers just finished, which wrestlers have significant freestyle/US team/International potential? Nolf, Nickel and Myles are the first that came to mind but I honestly don't know if they are all interested in going that route and what their potential is.

Also, does anyone know what potential weight classes and which US team wrestlers these graduating wrestlers may be facing in the next few years?

Finally, last question I promise, when could we expect to begin seeing these guys wrestle in freestyle events? What are the major next events?

Myles Martin is a very good wrestler from neutral. I could see him being a good challenger at the next level. The bad news for him is that USA wrestling has a log jam at 79, 86, and 97 kg, which I’m assuming is where he would slot. 

I'm probably missing a bunch here but:

The US Open is exactly a month from now in Las Vegas, though I believe the NCAA champs still auto-qualify for trials.

BTS Grapple at the Garden (NCAA champs vs. Team USA exhibition) is May 6. The WTT last chance qualifier is around this time also.

I think Junior and Senior WTT are in mid-May with Final X or whatever in June.

U23 nationals are around the end of May.

I think someone mentioned a UWW ranking tournament in Europe around May or June.

Yasar Dogu and Spanish Grand Prix are in July.

Pan-Ams and Medved are in August.

Junior Worlds in August.

Senior Worlds in September.

U23 Worlds in October(?).

I think S. Lee, Fix, Yianni, McKenna, Nolf, M. Lewis, Zahid, Hall, Martin, Nickal, Cassar, and Steveson should all shoot for the world team.

M. Lewis in particular has future world champ written all over him.

EDITS: Added Hall and specified Mekhi Lewis. Removed Micic and added him to my internationals list.

Edited by Katie

16 minutes ago, Katie said:

I think Spencer Lee, Fix, Micic, Yianni, McKenna, Nolf, Lewis, Zahid, Martin, Nickal, Cassar, and Steveson should all shoot for the world team.

Lewis in particular has future world champ written all over him.

And... Hall...  Just because he lost again (by narrow margins) to Zahid in folk doesn't mean he's out of the running for the freestyle world team. 

15 minutes ago, Katie said:

I think Spencer Lee, Fix, Micic, Yianni, McKenna, Nolf, Lewis, Zahid, Martin, Nickal, Cassar, and Steveson should all shoot for the world team.

Lewis in particular has future world champ written all over him.

*Assuming you’re talking about Daniel Lewis*

I see Lewis as an interesting case. I think he will be able to turn guys at an incredibly high level. But the question is can he take those guys down? The latest match with him and Valencia was telling to me. I think Zahid could tech him in freestyle simply because I’m not sure Lewis could take Zahid down. However, if he could get on top I think he could turn almost anyone at will. It’ll be interesting to see how Lewis’ international career pans out. 

2 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

And... Hall...  Just because he lost again (by narrow margins) to Zahid in folk doesn't mean he's out of the running for the freestyle world team. 

For sure, Hall too.

5 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

*Assuming you’re talking about Daniel Lewis*

I see Lewis as an interesting case. I think he will be able to turn guys at an incredibly high level. But the question is can he take those guys down? The latest match with him and Valencia was telling to me. I think Zahid could tech him in freestyle simply because I’m not sure Lewis could take Zahid down. However, if he could get on top I think he could turn almost anyone at will. It’ll be interesting to see how Lewis’ international career pans out. 

Daniel Lewis is a stud. No doubt.

But I had Mekhi in mind. 165 was arguably the toughest weight class, and he goes in there and wins it as a freshman. This after winning junior world gold in only his third freestyle tournament.

Edited by Katie

1 minute ago, Katie said:

Lewis is a stud. 

But I had Mekhi in mind. He was just incredible.

Ah yes haha. Wasn’t sure which one you were talking about. Completely agree that Mekhi can and will be a world champion one day. 

26 minutes ago, pamela said:

I'm probably missing a bunch here but:

The US Open is exactly a month from now in Las Vegas, though I believe the NCAA champs still auto-qualify for trials.

BTS Grapple at the Garden (NCAA champs vs. Team USA exhibition) is May 6. The WTT last chance qualifier is around this time also.

I think Junior and Senior WTT are in mid-May with Final X or whatever in June.

U23 nationals are around the end of May.

I think someone mentioned a UWW ranking tournament in Europe around May or June.

Yasar Dogu and Spanish Grand Prix are in July.

Pan-Ams and Medved are in August.

Junior Worlds in August.

Senior Worlds in September.

U23 Worlds in October(?).

Thank you - that is extremely helpful. Where is a good place to stay apprised of developments in the freestyle world?

Stevan Micic should def take a shot at a world team spot but he doesn't have a ton of time to heal between now and the US Open. He was obviously going at less than 100% this weekend but hopefully it isn't a serious injury.

5 minutes ago, pamela said:

Stevan Micic should def take a shot at a world team spot but he doesn't have a ton of time to heal between now and the US Open. He was obviously going at less than 100% this weekend but hopefully it isn't a serious injury.

He wrestles for Serbia. 

Micic, Dhesi, and Heino, obviously, should continue to pursue senior-level wrestling for their respective countries.

EDIT: Added Micic here after learning he represents Serbia.

Edited by Katie

4 hours ago, Sublime607 said:

dylan palacio wrestles for Uruguay similar situation 

Does Palacio actually still wrestle outside of his instagram prank videos? I think he may have only tried that for the Olympic qualifier. I can't recall seeing him compete since then.