Jimmy Cinnabon

Myles Martin - best ever 1 time champ?

NATO won as fresh too but never again . The OP’s question was specific to freshman champs and not repeating . As a Buckeye fan , I feel NATO edges Martin in this venue . Tougher weight class at the time Imo .edit : my bad , he said one time champ , not freshman . Same outcome to me . 

Edited by muskyjunky
Clarify

36 minutes ago, muskyjunky said:

NATO won as fresh too but never again . The OP’s question was specific to freshman champs and not repeating . As a Buckeye fan , I feel NATO edges Martin in this venue . Tougher weight class at the time Imo .edit : my bad , he said one time champ , not freshman . Same outcome to me . 

Yeah, no comparison on weight class. NATO wrestled in a much tougher class. Had higher placements than Myles, too.

4 hours ago, VakAttack said:

I can't call someone who got his brakes beat off on more than one occasion by Sammy Brooks the greatest 1 time. Especially since this was the only year he was favored to win and he fell short.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Not only favored, but a massive over favorite. I'd say he was as favored to win 184 as Nickal was 197 or Nolf at 157, or damned near.

4 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Not only favored, but a massive over favorite. I'd say he was as favored to win 184 as Nickal was 197 or Nolf at 157, or damned near.

Love Myles, but this ^^^^^ is spot on. I know there is always someone picking the upset just to pick the upset, but I doubt we can find more than one person that seriously picked anyone other than Myles.

23 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Most of these guys wrestled too long ago to be considered.  Maybe Megaludis has an argument, but certainly not Monday.

Why?

Dave Schultz and Larry Owings do belong at or near the top of the list.

If you go 2 time champs I'll put in John Smith... with the next guy in third place compared to him.

Best 1 timer? Maybe Alan Fried

2nd twice to Brands, lost a year to sanctuons against Ok St (no post season but he was 33-0),  very dominant senior season. 128-6 for career. Think 5 of the losses were to Brands. He also pinned Brands one year at Midlands  

The year he couldn’t compete in NCAAs he wrestled mainly at 142, with a few notable wins at 150 as well. The 142 champ that year ended up being freshman Lincoln McIlravy with the crazy comeback vs Abas in finals. The next season Fried majored Abas in finals. Now comparative scores only tell you so much, styles make matches, etc, but I think RS junior Fried would’ve taken out true freshman Mac and had two titles if not for the sanctions. 

Edited by KTG119