NJDan

Yianni's Freakish Arms

It's been established that he has no triceps (though I have seen some sprouting recently) but I did not know that Yianni's arms are also oddly long. In the broadcast, the announcers said he has a 6'1" wingspan despite being 5'6". I had never heard that before. Indeed, I'd never heard any wrestler's wingspan being measured and mentioned. This article says it, too. 

https://www.ithacajournal.com/story/sports/college/2019/03/20/yianni-diakomihalis-cornell-ncaa-wrestling/3210643002/ : "Two aspects jump out when watching Diakomihalis – his gymnast-like flexibility and arm-length that belongs on a basketball player. He’s only 5-foot-6 but he has a 6-1 arm span."

5 minutes ago, JeanGuy said:

That sounds like a completely unsubstantiated comment from Johnson or Gibbons. They have all of the "facts" on things they like to make-up.

Are you also doubting the Ithaca Journal?

Just now, NJDan said:

Are you also doubting the Ithaca Journal?

Not at all just wondering if they got their data from a Johnson/Gibbons broadcast because we all know they come up with some great statements every time.

1 minute ago, JeanGuy said:

Not at all just wondering if they got their data from a Johnson/Gibbons broadcast because we all know they come up with some great statements every time.

The Ithaca Journal article was posted on 3/20, days before the finals. Maybe Gibbons got it from the article. It could not have been the other way around. Or maybe both got it independently.

I have no idea whether it’s really a 6’1” wingspan or not, but you have to be as blind as a bat to not see how long his arms are relative to his height. He has the gift of span, much like Ed Ruth, JB, and DT have. This is partly why he’s so good in scramble situations and can finish TDs others can’t. He’s the best college wrestler from an extended arm position and it’s not close.  

Edited by wrestlingnerd

1 hour ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I have no idea whether it’s really a 6’1” wingspan or not, but you have to be as blind as a bat to not see how long his arms are relative to his height. He has the gift of span, much like Ed Ruth, JB, and DT have. This is partly why he’s so good in scramble situations and can finish TDs others can’t. He’s the best college wrestler from an extended arm position and it’s not close.  

On the Cornell squad, Vito, Yianni, and Womack have overlong arms.  This is evident when they can sit the corner and lock hands to turn a deep attack into an offensive move.  Vito and Yianni also have under-rated strength that allows them to convert that length into scoring opportunities.

On a related note, anyone here read The Sports Gene by David Epstein? Very good and easy read, but really changed my outlook on competitive sports. Really the book talks about  how when there are enough athletes and the training and technique is relatively the same, the genetic outliers always rise to the top. Not a ground breaking thesis, but he gives a ton of really interesting examples. Guys with long arms in wrestling definitely have mechanical advantage. Wrestling is very unique though, and I have often wondered how genetics apply to our sport overall. For example, is there one specific body type that is better than others? If you have a short powerful wrestler with average sized limbs, can you optimize his training in a particular way for success beyond someone who is an outlier? How many guys are out there working their butts off, but never learning the technique or approach that could help them specifically? Ben Askren is an interesting person for this. Genetically he was not given what we would consider an athletic body, but he was able to completely change his approach to where he was able to optimize. 

4 hours ago, NJDan said:

It's been established that he has no triceps (though I have seen some sprouting recently) but I did not know that Yianni's arms are also oddly long. In the broadcast, the announcers said he has a 6'1" wingspan despite being 5'6". I had never heard that before. Indeed, I'd never heard any wrestler's wingspan being measured and mentioned. This article says it, too. 

https://www.ithacajournal.com/story/sports/college/2019/03/20/yianni-diakomihalis-cornell-ncaa-wrestling/3210643002/ : "Two aspects jump out when watching Diakomihalis – his gymnast-like flexibility and arm-length that belongs on a basketball player. He’s only 5-foot-6 but he has a 6-1 arm span."

Yeah, I was focused on Yianni's arms - not!

img_5410.jpg?crc=238025180Image result for gina Diakomihalis

2 hours ago, russelscout said:

On a related note, anyone here read The Sports Gene by David Epstein? Very good and easy read, but really changed my outlook on competitive sports. Really the book talks about  how when there are enough athletes and the training and technique is relatively the same, the genetic outliers always rise to the top. Not a ground breaking thesis, but he gives a ton of really interesting examples. Guys with long arms in wrestling definitely have mechanical advantage. Wrestling is very unique though, and I have often wondered how genetics apply to our sport overall. For example, is there one specific body type that is better than others? If you have a short powerful wrestler with average sized limbs, can you optimize his training in a particular way for success beyond someone who is an outlier? How many guys are out there working their butts off, but never learning the technique or approach that could help them specifically? Ben Askren is an interesting person for this. Genetically he was not given what we would consider an athletic body, but he was able to completely change his approach to where he was able to optimize. 

One of my favorite sports books. I've mentioned it on this forum in the past. Well researched.

Ben Askren is one of my favorite wrestlers ever for the reason you mentioned.

Edited by wrestlingnerd