Sign in to follow this  
kgschalhoub

Singlets at this year's tournament

My friends and I found the constant changing of singlets annoying and hard to follow from session to session. I would like to see the NCAA make a rule that each team establishes what singlet they are going to wear and wear it for the entire tournament.

Thoughts? Did anyone else find it hard to follow teams from session to session?

Were you at the tournament?  It wasn't an issue for me because ESPN told me who was who, but I could see how being there and without close-up camera views could be an issue.  Oddly enough, I thought about a similar thing during the B1G tournament and how many of those schools have red singlets.   

I don't think there needs to be a rule about this...We seem to be obsessed with developing rules for this sport.  

2 minutes ago, Chrissn2001 said:

Were you at the tournament?  It wasn't an issue for me because ESPN told me who was who, but I could see how being there and without close-up camera views could be an issue.  Oddly enough, I thought about a similar thing during the B1G tournament and how many of those schools have red singlets.   

I don't think there needs to be a rule about this...We seem to be obsessed with developing rules for this sport.  

We were at the tournament. We did not  have the benefit of ESPN announcers. Plus we were in the upper section. With eight mats it was tough. If not a rule, maybe a request.

Seems like a lot of teams are using darker singlets now that don't even match the school colors.  Iowa State in a black singlet was strange...

I needed a double take on some of the the new Oklahoma State gear (hats, singlets too IIRC) as it looks like a pentagram on a quick glance.

I like the variety, but I do agree that some teams completely ignoring their colors in favor of having 'cool' uniforms does kind of bug me. Not that difficult to throw some red/yellow on to a black singlet. 

With that being said... the singlet that Mekhi Lewis wore in the quarters was sick.

Let the kids change singlets. We had 3 in high school, one reserved for medal matches and the other two we could alternate at the tournaments so we always had a dry singlet. Kids like the fun singlets that people are making now, let em enjoy this aspect of a pretty ****ing hard sport. 

To me it is all about the fan's ability to view a complicated visual experience at a large wrestling tournament. For duals, wear what ever singlet you want, but not for a three day event. Make it simple for the viewer.

33 minutes ago, kgschalhoub said:

My friends and I found the constant changing of singlets annoying and hard to follow from session to session. I would like to see the NCAA make a rule that each team establishes what singlet they are going to wear and wear it for the entire tournament.

Thoughts? Did anyone else find it hard to follow teams from session to session?

I agree - there is no way ISU should be wrestling in black and white singlets - At least keep your school colors recognizable. (they aren't the only ones that just stuck out to me)

This is only an issue for people watching in person.   And even then if you know what 2 wrestlers are on the mat it shouldn't be that hard to figure out who's who.   I'm sure the kids like being able to switch it up.

But speaking of singlets, did anyone wear a 2-piece?

29 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

This is only an issue for people watching in person.   And even then if you know what 2 wrestlers are on the mat it shouldn't be that hard to figure out who's who.   I'm sure the kids like being able to switch it up.

But speaking of singlets, did anyone wear a 2-piece?

Havent seen a 2 piece uniform used in atleast 10 years.

Everyone has the same Nike singlet with the vertical stripes up the back. Used to be cool, but now everyone looks the same. Especially when teams start using red, white, and blue even when it isn't in their color scheme. Also, enough with the gray singlets. I believe there are rules for football and basketball uniforms and would like to see them get a little tougher on gear for wrestling, at least at national tournaments. Should have to be a team's primary or secondary color. 

15 minutes ago, DuckFor2 said:

I recall Princeton wearing them too for a bit. Anyone unhappy they're gone? i'm not

I'd like to see them back. Singlets are the one thing that is universally considered "weird" by outsiders.

20 minutes ago, DuckFor2 said:

I recall Princeton wearing them too for a bit. Anyone unhappy they're gone? i'm not

I'm sure Foley at Intermat is.  He talks about them constantly.  Of course this is the same guy who picked Pitt's heavyweight to bust the bracket wide open, so I wouldn't worry about him.

I don't too much care for the changing of singlets throughout an event but I am not going to say that a rule needs to be introduced.

Though I do think schools would be better off investing into one unique identity and sticking with it.

Everyone knows Penn State, Cornell, Iowa, etc.  They don't change up their singlets.  I thought the Missouri Tiger stripe singlet was neat and makes them easy to identify. 

Teams should have more consistency in their identity and branding, in my opinion.

This is a trend all over college sports.  Young adults love different gear.  Most young men have dozens of pairs of shoes, many in loud colors.  University of Oregon built their entire recruiting pitch on obnoxious colors.  If the athletes like wearing different singlets I say their opinion holds the most sway.  It has no impact on the TV audience because the colors are explained on the TV and couldn't fool anyone for longer than 5 seconds.

I really didn't like Okie States for the Thursday morning session however outside of that, I didn't really care that much.  I do think each team should only have 1 that they wear possibly two but keep the colors the main part of the uniform.