Sign in to follow this  
kgschalhoub

Singlets at this year's tournament

Maybe session IV, two Lehigh wrestlers, on mats side by side, had on different singlets in the same session, one wore brown and one wore white, was that legal????

Edited by fadzaev2

44 minutes ago, JBluegill133 said:

singlet.jpg

I don't really get the 2 piece with the tight shorts, that doesn't really help what people don't like about singlets.

I do think some of the shorts look pretty good and I saw a bunch of photos of kids wearing them at the various HS states.

For example the legally blind kid that won in AL (sorry bad picture):

HS-wrestler.jpg

singlets define wrestling to be honest and there's nothing like pulling up the straps of a singlet preparing for battle. only those that have done it can speak of it.

however, right with that, wrestlers need to invest in a proper athletic supporter to wear under the singlet. some of these guys look plain silly.

as for the 2 piece, too may of the young kids look like they're wearing basketball shorts. even at the HS level.

Completely understand being frustrated with the changing of the singlets session to session from a fans perspective at the event. But the wrestlers themselves love it. Unless you are Iowa or PSU or Oklahoma State(even they wore a different one each day-black on Thursday, White on Friday, and the Iconic Orange on Saturday) and have that iconic look, having different singlets is a recruiting tool. Kids go on their recruiting trips and get shown all the different singlets and apparel and that helps sell them-its clearly not the only thing they look for, but it plays a part. 

Jumping on the idea of who had the best/worst looks:

Best: Virginia Tech in quarterfinals sessions (orange and gray) and on Saturday (black with the Hokie stone drawing in the VT). ODU-the Navy blue with white/columbia belt. Lehigh-the brown with white accents is different from everyone else in a good way. Iowa-the history

Worst: Mizzou-headache inducing is correct. Iowa State-Use the red and yellow.  

Edited by VAtoSC

2 hours ago, ugarte said:

Cornell - Nebraska was even more confusing when one of the guys was named Red. 

I hope even when wrestling an opponent with red singlets they always give Chad the red ankle bands. Otherwise pretty confusing to hear "Two - Red" when the other guy gets a takedown.

17 minutes ago, Red95 said:

I hope even when wrestling an opponent with red singlets they always give Chad the red ankle bands. Otherwise pretty confusing to hear "Two - Red" when the other guy gets a takedown.

almost certain that yianni had them

1 hour ago, boconnell said:

This is a trend all over college sports.  Young adults love different gear.  Most young men have dozens of pairs of shoes, many in loud colors.  University of Oregon built their entire recruiting pitch on obnoxious colors.  If the athletes like wearing different singlets I say their opinion holds the most sway.  It has no impact on the TV audience because the colors are explained on the TV and couldn't fool anyone for longer than 5 seconds.

I started this post to discuss the effect in the arena, not watching on TV. Of course it is not hard on TV. But try with eight mats, in nose bleed seats. That's the point. I get that Oregon started a trend that the young athletes like, but if no one can figure out who they are, then what is the point. And by the way, PSU, Iowa, Northwestern, and many others have traditional one style singlets and they have the same male wrestling demographic.

40 minutes ago, DuckFor2 said:

singlets define wrestling to be honest and there's nothing like pulling up the straps of a singlet preparing for battle. only those that have done it can speak of it.

however, right with that, wrestlers need to invest in a proper athletic supporter to wear under the singlet. some of these guys look plain silly.

as for the 2 piece, too may of the young kids look like they're wearing basketball shorts. even at the HS level.

No offense but this is a horrible take.

I've never heard someone say "there's nothing like pulling up the straps of a singlet preparing for battle"

And I can only imagine how miserable wrestling with an "athletic supporter" would be.

15 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

No offense but this is a horrible take.

I've never heard someone say "there's nothing like pulling up the straps of a singlet preparing for battle"

And I can only imagine how miserable wrestling with an "athletic supporter" would be.

sounds like you can go back to wearing your shorts and t shirt with boxer shorts.

Every team should where the same uniform thru the first four rounds. Saturday, they can use the other style, as it is a lot easier to figure who is who. 

Gordon Wolf is the one Lehigh wrestler who wore a White Uniform Friday. Wolfie does Wolfie things.

While talking of colors, wouldn't it be nice if the eight mats were each a unique color. Say Black, Blue, Green, Violet, Red, Orange, Gold(yellow canary whatever) White. If you are up in the sky watching the blue mat (2) someone might say "look at the Red Mat XXXX is happening" I think you can react to that faster than to "look at mat 7. Of course it looks like NCAA went the other way. They went to 4 black and  blue. The past few years there were some green, some with white center and blue edge. I guess this might be a problem for some colorblind, but that is like 4% of males 0.4% of females

19 minutes ago, DuckFor2 said:

sounds like you can go back to wearing your shorts and t shirt with boxer shorts.

Wearing boxer shorts to wrestle is bad too.

I didn't hate the singlet but it was more of just a necessary evil (that's not necessary anymore).   I never once thought it "defined wrestling," other than defining why other people would make fun of wrestling of course.

it would be interesting to hear the political affiliation of all the people here who want to control what other people wear.

i consider the NFL rules a bit extreme.

Edited by GockeS

I'm fine with programs going slightly (or more - like Oregon football) off-identity with their singlet colors and put on interesting gear. It's the type of thing kids and young fans get excited about these days. Like basketball players routinely Instagram their kicks or special edition gameday unis, and fans actually track which color combinations (helmet - jersey - shoes) football players will be wearing.

It would be helpful though if programs had at least a "home" (school's primary colors) and "away" (black, white, or grey with the school colors as accents) singlet, and that wrestlers could be designated accordingly before matches to wear colors that contrast with their opponents. There were several times when both guys were wearing similar color schemes, like white singlet Ashnault vs. light grey singlet Micah, which only makes things more difficult for the officials.

Didn't Minnesota get penalized like 10 pts at B1G's a few years ago since they all wore different singlets within the same session or something like that?  I like Minny's maroons, but their gold's were horrible, albeit a cool tradition.  Mizzou should follow suit and stick with black until the medal rounds, then gold, but not the gold ones they have now.  Those are terrible, along with the white/black ones.

Does Mizzou used to save the white with tiger stripes for the medal rounds/finals? I seem to remember Mayes and Waters taking the mat in those on the last day, but maybe I'm misremembering.

2 hours ago, kgschalhoub said:

I started this post to discuss the effect in the arena, not watching on TV. Of course it is not hard on TV. But try with eight mats, in nose bleed seats. That's the point. I get that Oregon started a trend that the young athletes like, but if no one can figure out who they are, then what is the point. And by the way, PSU, Iowa, Northwestern, and many others have traditional one style singlets and they have the same male wrestling demographic.

PSU and Iowa don't need gimmicks to recruit.  NW probably does and should consider it.

If wrestlers like it then more power to coaches who make them happy.  Also more power to coaches who don't go for flashy singlets and build an iconic brand.   

1 hour ago, pamela said:

I'm fine with programs going slightly (or more - like Oregon football) off-identity with their singlet colors and put on interesting gear. It's the type of thing kids and young fans get excited about these days. Like basketball players routinely Instagram their kicks or special edition gameday unis, and fans actually track which color combinations (helmet - jersey - shoes) football players will be wearing.

It would be helpful though if programs had at least a "home" (school's primary colors) and "away" (black, white, or grey with the school colors as accents) singlet, and that wrestlers could be designated accordingly before matches to wear colors that contrast with their opponents. There were several times when both guys were wearing similar color schemes, like white singlet Ashnault vs. light grey singlet Micah, which only makes things more difficult for the officials.

This would be a very smart step to take.  

3 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

Maybe session IV, two Lehigh wrestlers, on mats side by side, had on different singlets in the same session, one wore brown and one wore white, was that legal????

Technically I don't think it was but I heard Wolfie forgot his for that session, and he usually has one of the top 3 gpas on the team believe it or not! ;)

I do tons of gear for my wrestlers, the parents, and fans.  The younger generation loves variety.  I do too.  There is a very distinct line where the older generations do not like it, they dont like varying the colors, and they like what has always been.  I can see how color changes would screw you up from a fans perspective.

My last athletic director drove me nuts with having to have final say on what our gear looked like.  She could not fathom that teams that dont have black or grey in their color scheme would ever have the audacity to put it on their singlet.  Having coached 2 teams with brown and yellow, a brown singlet with yellow accents isnt visually pleasing, and good luck getting kids to like the gear. 

There has been a problem in the last few years with singlets all looking the same.  Coaches arent really customizing their gear.  The design choices all look similar of the stock singlets.  When I see a team now, I can pretty much pick with accuracy which catalogue the got it from.  I wish more head coaches would put a little time and effort in to make their brand something that fans both identify with and find visually appealing.

i love the variety and creativity.

i thought the Tech and ISU black & whites were sweet.

to follow a tournament at home shouldn't be a problem w/ the scoreboards.

to follow a tournament in the arena shouldn't be a problem with the big screen and ticker. 

i don't really understand the difficulty. 

I think if PPG would have used the scoreboard correctly, it would not have been as difficult to follow the wrestlers. But, the scoreboard blocked half of the view in front of me and I could not see mats 4-6 as they were listed below my seats.

Booooooooo on Iowa State. that was a discussion I heard often Friday morning. Was there even a team emblem or initials on the singlet.

I have always and will always love the simplicity of Iowa's singlets.  I wouldn't mind seeing it white every now and then, but most the singlets I have ordered were same color with team name on the left thigh.

On 3/25/2019 at 10:28 AM, kgschalhoub said:

My friends and I found the constant changing of singlets annoying and hard to follow from session to session. I would like to see the NCAA make a rule that each team establishes what singlet they are going to wear and wear it for the entire tournament.

Thoughts? Did anyone else find it hard to follow teams from session to session?

They should put a team flag at the feet of the coaches to identify the school and to discourage coaches from moving closer to the mat since they wouldn’t want to step on their team’s flag. 

0B8DF97C-43C6-4F5D-820E-62A076330092.jpeg

56 minutes ago, jcjcjc said:

They should put a team flag at the feet of the coaches to identify the school and to discourage coaches from moving closer to the mat since they wouldn’t want to step on their team’s flag. 

0B8DF97C-43C6-4F5D-820E-62A076330092.jpeg

I like this idea.