Sign in to follow this  
Frank_Rizzo

How important is recruiting?

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/21741

67 out of 80 All-Americans were InterMat Top 100 recruits, or 84%.  

3 were ranked in their respective weight classes but were outside the Top 100, or 4%

9 were not ranked at all, or 11%.  

Dhesi is from Canada.  

So, in sum, recruiting in college wrestling isn't everything, but it's darn close.  

Just now, NJDan said:

The guys who coached those guys deserve a lot of credit.

My takeaway?  If your recruit wasn't a Top 100 guy, there's only a 16% chance he'll see the podium.  Of course I'm only working with one year's data set.  But my guess is that's fairly consistent across years.  

13 minutes ago, Frank_Rizzo said:

My takeaway?  If your recruit wasn't a Top 100 guy, there's only a 16% chance he'll see the podium.  Of course I'm only working with one year's data set.  But my guess is that's fairly consistent across years.  

You're off there. 16% of AAs weren't top 100 recruits. Not 16% of non top 100 recruits reach the podium.  Those 13 non-top 100 AAs were 13 out of thousands. 

8 minutes ago, ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying said:

You're off there. 16% of AAs weren't top 100 recruits. Not 16% of non top 100 recruits reach the podium.  Those 13 non-top 100 AAs were 13 out of thousands. 

How about this: if you are a Division 1 college wrestler and were not an InterMat Top 100 recruit, you only have roughly a 16% chance of becoming an All-American?  

Edited by Frank_Rizzo

1 minute ago, Frank_Rizzo said:

How about this: if you are a Division 1 college wrestler and were not an InterMat Top 100 recruit, you only have roughly a 16% chance of becoming an All-American?  

Not even top 100 recruits have a 16% chance of becoming an All American. 16% of All Americans were non top 100 recruits.  There are thousands of non top 100 recruits. A non top 100 recruit has less than a 1% chance of becoming an All American. 

There’s roughly 2500 D1 wrestlers. Somewhere around 350-450 of them were top 100 recruits in their class. 

So about 13/2100 (0.62%)became AA.

67 of somewhere around 400 top 100 recruits AAd(17%)

23 minutes ago, ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying said:

13/80 = percentage of All Americans that are not top 100 recruits

13/1000+ = percentage of not top 100 recruits that become All Americans. 

You are, of course, correct.  That's what I get for posting before being adequately caffeinated after watching wrestling for three days straight.  

Edited by Frank_Rizzo

It's real simple.  Here are the top five teams with the overall top 20 recruits from the brackets.  From D1CW and Flo:

1) PSU......................................................................1...4...5...6...7...9...12.............................................. (Hall, Nolf, Cenzo, Berge, Nickal, Lee, RBY)

2) Oh St....................................................................4...6...8...8...10...11...................................................(Martin, Jordan, Pletcher, McKenna, Singletary, Hayes)

3) Okie St..................................................................1...7...9...15...16........................................................(Fix, Picc, Brock, Gfeller, Smith)

4) IA..........................................................................2...2...7...14...17........................................................(Lee, Marinelli, Warner, Stoll, DeSanto)

5) Mich......................................................................2....3....18...................................................................(Massa, Parris, Micic)

Recruiting is the lifeblood of a program.

You also can't merely look at recruiting rankings.  That assumes that the recruiting rankings were any good to start with. 

High School kids are coming in better than ever and able to win right off the bat.  That is recruiting and not developing talent that allows teams to have true freshmen getting big wins early in the season.