Sign in to follow this  
Jackson Storm

Most Memorable NCAA moment

I'm not a Penn State fan and have never particularly liked (or disliked) Mark Hall.  Have followed his career for many years and he is obviously an amazing wrestler. but I have never considered him to be one of my favorites.  With that said, he has now become quite possibly my favorite wrestler in the entire country.  

Last Saturday night I watched him walk off the elevated mat after his loss to Valencia, take his singlet straps down, and immediately begin signing autographs for a line of eager young fans.  The sweat was still running and I doubt he even had time for water.  Rather than run to the locker room to deal with this emotional loss by himself (which, btw, is what I likely would have done) he held his head high, smiled, and signed autographs like a true champion.  Quite the impressive display.

Although I am an avid themat.com viewer, I don't really post.  For whatever reason, after seeing Hall's display on Saturday night I felt compelled to share.  

19 minutes ago, Jackson Storm said:

I'm not a Penn State fan and have never particularly liked (or disliked) Mark Hall.  Have followed his career for many years and he is obviously an amazing wrestler. but I have never considered him to be one of my favorites.  With that said, he has now become quite possibly my favorite wrestler in the entire country.  

Last Saturday night I watched him walk off the elevated mat after his loss to Valencia, take his singlet straps down, and immediately begin signing autographs for a line of eager young fans.  The sweat was still running and I doubt he even had time for water.  Rather than run to the locker room to deal with this emotional loss by himself (which, btw, is what I likely would have done) he held his head high, smiled, and signed autographs like a true champion.  Quite the impressive display.

Although I am an avid themat.com viewer, I don't really post.  For whatever reason, after seeing Hall's display on Saturday night I felt compelled to share.  

Good post.  In a similar vein, I distinctly remember Hall's reaction last year, after losing to Valencia in that year's tournament.  Mark was back at matside almost immediately, smiling and cheering for Nickal.  One would never have guessed that he'd just lost his bout.

Not one moment but ...

I was very taken by some cheering scenes. I was in the lower Lehigh section 107 with a perfect view of most of the scoreclocks (not the mats, however). To my immediate right were the Weiler's. We have 3 very good 197s. Gentile, Jakobsen and Weiler. Weiler got the nod last year and Jake rooted for him like a brother. This year the tables were turned. Same thing in reverse.

But a bigger thing to me involved the Mizzou crowd immediately to our left. They had this one guy who was the cheerleader. They did a lot of cheering which was great but two situations stood out (one literally). Our favorite wrestling name's (Brock Mauller) brother was there cheering hard. And standing in front of people a lot without thinking. Nobody complained (he's a big boy though so maybe...). When it was over I noticed he went up the stairs. He came back with a sweatshirt for the cheerleader guy. I saved the best for last- I heard them cheering for an ISU guy at one point. I said something to them kiddingly. The cheerleader was in tears explaining. A lot of you know already but for those who don't- Willie Miklus transferred from Mizzou to ISU to be with his father who had come down with ALS. Once we realized what was going on a lot of Lehigh people cheered him when he came over after winning the blood round.

Just seeing things like that make the trip worthwhile.

Top 10 memorable moments for me were:

1. The look on Hayden Hidlay's face when the match ended. It still haunts me in my dreams.
  2. The look on Gabe Dean's face when his little brother pulled off the upset against Martin.
  3. Mekhi Lewis's last points scored on Cenzo: what a beast!! Talk about putting icing on his coming-out party cake.
  4. Desanto's merkle on RBY. For some reason, this is the move I most remember from the NCAAs. It was beautifully brutal, if that makes sense, and really showcased why Desanto, despite the incorrigible antics, remains so popular. Love him or hat him, the kid is an absolute must-watch. He beat the soul out of RBY with that move.
  5. Joey McKenna's first TD on Yianni. That's the only move I rewinded about a dozen times. It was so simple, effective, and obviously practiced. Just perfect. If you watch closely, he hits his single, posts the outside arm, baiting Yianni to take wrist control of the posted arm. When he does, Joey pull his posted arm in, grabs Yianni's wrist with his hand from the arm that has the single shelved, and completely takes out Yianni's post. A second later, Yianni is flat on his side and Joey has the TD. It was my favorite move of the tournament.
  6. The look on Mrs. Diakomihalis's face after that move. It was beautifully beautiful. And also in my dreams.
  7. Zahid's air guitar followed by smash celebration, mimicking Hall's celebration in Rec Hall when he pulled off the upset against Zahid but adding that smash at the end. Definitely on the short list of best celebrations of all time, adding fuel to the best rivalry in college since Brands/Fried.
  8. Mueller's ruthless assassination of Rivera. Dude wasted no time, sliding by seconds after the whistle and riding the piss out of Rivera in Dake-like fashion. That has to be one of the most dominant upsets of a #1 seed in NCAA history. Good lord. Someone claimed on here that Rivera is moving up to 133. If that's even true, he made that decision in the first period of his match against Mueller, I'm 100% sure.
  9. Cassar celebrating with his hometown homies after his unbelievable run to champ was over. Only one word fits when you consider his entire wrestling career progression: stud. Even after that heinous lip tat, stud.
  10. What Suriano did to Lizak. That was the most brutal beating in the entire tournament. It was an incredibly accurate reenactment of what Zain Retherford did to Brandon Sorensen, including the pinning move. I literally got the flashback while watching Lizak writhe in pain on the way to getting stuck.

Nerd's list is pretty solid and in line with my thoughts. Hidlay's face after the semi loss was heart rending, you could really see how much that hit him emotionally. I'll add seeing miklus go out as a 4x aa, that was neat to see.

Great list nerd, reacting off that:

#7 - I'm pretty sure Hall has done that hammer smash before as well, so that was like a double mock.  Can't remember when he did it though, but pretty sure Hall celebrated with it before.

#8 - I know it's easier said than done but I don't know how Rivera wasn't ready for that slide by, Mueller makes a living off that move.  Pretty sure he hit it a second time against him as well, guess it's hard to scout for all potential opponents but he had to know it was coming. 

Mueller did hit him twice with it. It's one thing to know it's there and quite another to know when it's coming and then stop it. It's a perfect move for a taller, longer guy like Mueller who can exert a lot of leverage against a shorter, stockier guy like Rivera.