Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

All Americans By State

I took this from a larger Flo article. 

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6394957-2019-ncaas-by-the-numbers

All Americans By State

PA (16) - Spencer Lee, Iowa; Luke Pletcher, Ohio St.; Austin DeSanto, Iowa; Ethan Lizak, Minnesota; Kyle Shoop, Lock Haven; Jason Nolf, Penn St.; Kaleb Young, Iowa; Hayden Hidlay, NC State; Vincenzo Joseph, Penn St.; Josh Shields, Arizona St.; Chance Marsteller, Lock Haven; Mikey Labriola, Nebraska; Dakota Geer, Oklahoma State; Zack Zavatsky, Virginia Tech; Ryan Preisch, Lehigh; Jordan Wood, Lehigh

NJ (10) - Sebastian Rivera, Northwestern; Patrick Glory, Princeton; Nick Suriano, Rutgers; Joey McKenna, Ohio St.; Anthony Ashnault, Rutgers; Mekhi Lewis, Virginia Tech; David McFadden, Virginia Tech; Jordan Kutler, Lehigh; Myles Martin, Ohio St.; Anthony Cassar, Penn St.

IL (6) - Austin O'Connor, N. Carolina; Larry Early, Old Dominion; Isaiah White, Nebraska; Emery Parker, Illinois; Patrick Brucki, Princeton; Jacob Warner, Iowa

MI (6) - Rayvon Foley, Michigan St.; Alec Pantaleo, Michigan; Myles Amine, Michigan; Devin Skatzka, Minnesota; Max Dean, Cornell; Trent Hillger, Wisconsin

OH (6) - Dom Demas, Oklahoma; Matt Kolodzik, Princeton; Micah Jordan, Ohio St.; Alex Marinelli, Iowa; Kollin Moore, Ohio St; Matt Stencel, Central Michigan

NY (5) - Nick Piccininni, OK State; Vitali Arujau, Cornell; Yianni, Cornell; Ben Honis, Cornell; Youssif Hemida, Maryland

PA definitely has the depth and I don't see that changing.  However, NJ's high end talent this year was OFF THE CHARTS.  4 Champs, 1-2nd, 2-3rds, 1-5th, 1-6th and 1-7th.

PA, by contrast had 2 Champs, 1-2nd, 1-3rd, 4-4ths, 2-5ths, 2-6ths, 3-7ths and 1-8th.

59 minutes ago, pennsyrules said:

Many point to Pa's high AA count to the number of Division I schools in the state but this doesn't pan out this year.

When this is said, I always think people mean that there are more high school and youth coaches with D1 wrestling experience than anywhere else which helps best prepare a wide population for college wrestling.

21 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

PA definitely has the depth and I don't see that changing.  However, NJ's high end talent this year was OFF THE CHARTS.  4 Champs, 1-2nd, 2-3rds, 1-5th, 1-6th and 1-7th.

PA, by contrast had 2 Champs, 1-2nd, 1-3rd, 4-4ths, 2-5ths, 2-6ths, 3-7ths and 1-8th.

It seems a lot of the NJ guys aren't really from NJ originally.   If a kid transfers into Blair or Bergen, do you consider them a NJ wrestler?

25 minutes ago, pennsyrules said:

Was an awesome year for NJ.  Anyone have the last time that NJ had 4, if ever?  

Pretty sure NJ had 3 champs twice, but never 4.  Maybe Gimp can confirm.

"You could argue Pa wins the depth contest every year, but NJ might just produce better individual talent."

This year yes.  However, if my math is correct, Pa has produced 11 National Champions over the last 3 years.  

14 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

But, forget Illinois or Michigan?  Interesting way of looking at that and completely ignoring 2 ahead of NY........

I think the point is Pa and the states that border on her. 3 from WV, Md, Del would not be a shocking number- which would meant 50%

Interesting facts.  PSU only had 2 of this years 16 AA's from PA.  Rutgers (RU) had 2 of 10 from NJ.

I've been all over RU that they need to recruit better and keep the studs at home.  

But Cael also isn't keeping most of the PA studs home at PSU.

So recruiting isn't so much about keeping your in state studs at home.  More about the school, reputation, program, coach, RTC, etc that is the main draw to a recruit.

So for RU, not so much about keeping most of the in state studs at home (doesn't happen) but about being the best destination for the stud recruits.  They have to up their game on this.  Hate to criticize as I'm a fan but outside of Ash and Suriano, they are real thin, even with the recruits coming in.  And it's been 10 years.  Look at what Cael did in 10 yrs.  And he went to PSU to keep the in state studs at home but he's built a dynasty and the best want in.

4 minutes ago, josephe said:

Interesting facts.  PSU only had 2 of this years 16 AA's from PA.  Rutgers (RU) had 2 of 10 from NJ.

I've been all over RU that they need to recruit better and keep the studs at home.  

But Cael also isn't keeping most of the PA studs home at PSU.

So recruiting isn't so much about keeping your in state studs at home.  More about the school, reputation, program, coach, RTC, etc that is the main draw to a recruit.

So for RU, not so much about keeping most of the in state studs at home (doesn't happen) but about being the best destination for the stud recruits.  They have to up their game on this.  Hate to criticize as I'm a fan but outside of Ash and Suriano, they are real thin, even with the recruits coming in.  And it's been 10 years.  Look at what Cael did in 10 yrs.  And he went to PSU to keep the in state studs at home but he's built a dynasty and the best want in.

Important to mention, PSU kept 2 of the top 3 finishers at home and was damn close on keeping Lee at home, giving him the full court press.  They also had Marsteller at one point before he corroded.  None of the others were all that feasible or can't miss, must haves except maybe Hidlay.  PSU already had Nolf so Hidlay wasn't a fit.  Guys like Labriola weren't fitting in ANYWHERE.  Crazy, but true!

4 hours ago, FAU said:

It seems a lot of the NJ guys aren't really from NJ originally.   If a kid transfers into Blair or Bergen, do you consider them a NJ wrestler?

Absolutely not. NJ has never counted Blair kids who were from another state. Those are all NJ kids that AA.

4 hours ago, FAU said:

Koloznik went to Blair, but is listed as from Ohio.