Sign in to follow this  
ILL1617

Cassar 6th and (7th Year)

I am not sure if anyone caught it during Cassar's post-finals interview, but he was asked about taking a 6th and potentially 7th year. Can anyone shed light on the possibility of a 7th year?

It's my understanding that he can get a 6th year as a result of a medical redshirt, and it seems like he "took another year off" due to financial and personal reasons. Does this mean that Cassar has both a year of eligibility and the ability to petition for the medical year?

Any insight on this would be great.

So...if Cassar gets a 6th and a 7th year, Steveson's dreams of a 4x NCAA Champion (which have already been derailed) become a 3-year battle with PSU. Figures that PSU miraculously pulls this off and has the chance of having a HWT win a title during his 5th, 6th and 7th years...

Not saying this will happen, but the young guys at this weight will close the gap, and it does not seem like Cassar is going away...

He mentioned he will consider staying since he has FS goals as well, but he is not making this Olympic team with Gwiz there so he might as well try for 2-more titles.

Wouldn't that be crazy? I bet there has never been a 4-year back-up who was also a 3x NCAA champ...

1 hour ago, Perry said:

Miklus was from the class of 2012 so..

He also went to the OTC for a year right after high school, so he was effectively a 2013 high school graduate for NCAA purposes. However, Grant Leeth was awarded 2 medical redshirt years, so we will likely be calling him Dr. Leeth pretty soon.

2 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Your clock starts when you enroll in your first year.  It doesn't pause if you take a year off of school.  

this is what i was thinking...but i could never figure out how my friend played so long

2 hours ago, ILL1617 said:

I am not sure if anyone caught it during Cassar's post-finals interview, but he was asked about taking a 6th and potentially 7th year. Can anyone shed light on the possibility of a 7th year?

It's my understanding that he can get a 6th year as a result of a medical redshirt, and it seems like he "took another year off" due to financial and personal reasons. Does this mean that Cassar has both a year of eligibility and the ability to petition for the medical year?

Any insight on this would be great.

They probably meant a 6th and potentially 7th year of eligibility (not competition)? Cassar has already qualified for an ORS for next season so he could do that and then I guess try for a medical waiver to come back and compete the season after that. It doesn't really matter though, I'm not sure he wants to be an Olympian and he may be ready to move on from wrestling and college - or at least not want to put off his plans for another 2 years.

3 hours ago, MSU158 said:

He WILL get another year and definitely should.  2 years?  I think that is a big stretch.

Why should he receive a 6th year of eligibility?  The rule that you receive 5 years to get in 4 years of eligibility should be enforced.  What about the people that attend one of the military academies where they don't allow anyone to redshirt and you must complete everything in 4 years?

28 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Why should he receive a 6th year of eligibility?  The rule that you receive 5 years to get in 4 years of eligibility should be enforced.  What about the people that attend one of the military academies where they don't allow anyone to redshirt and you must complete everything in 4 years?

He should get a 6th because he is the text book case for getting a 6th. The rule was literally made for guys like him. 

Nobody should get a 6th year.  You should get 5 years to complete 4.  End of story.  Injuries are heartbreaking, but they shouldn't change that.  You shouldn't RS early so you have it in case of injury.

I am not saying this regarding Cassar though.  According to the standards of how they're handed out, he could fairly get one.  

Edited by boconnell

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

A large number of academy goers attend their respective prep schools for an academic year. They compete for the prep-school team which, other than the official name, is a redshirt. After the prep school they still have 4 years of eligibility.