Sign in to follow this  
Axe_Spartan

Cassar's riding time against Gable

At the time of the match I was looking for some explanation about this match but haven't found it so far.

The question is, is there any explanation for this situation, which is, Gable getting the escape 3 or 4 seconds before 1 minute of riding time (at least what whas showed on TV), and the clock kept running until reaching over a minute? Which was decisive in not getting to OT and Cassar winning the match.

I was kind of surprise there wasn't much debate about this, which brings me to the conclusion that there is a logic and simple explanation that I'm unaware of.

1 hour ago, IronChef said:

Officials do not award an escape until the top wrestler's hand passes the midpoint of the bottom wrestler's back. By that standard, Gable did not earn an escape prior to Cassar earning over 1 minute of riding time.

This is 100% correct per the rule. The hand has to cross the mid-line of the back before the escape can be awarded.

which is intended to protect the escaping wrestler...but hoses them in a close match.

that said, there were several posts about this earlier

and some mentioned that gable wasn't exactly in a hurry prior to getting out.

Edited by GockeS

1 hour ago, OfficialObserver said:

This is 100% correct per the rule. The hand has to cross the mid-line of the back before the escape can be awarded.

Please cite this rule

Found no mention of it in either of these

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017-19MWR_Case_Book_20180214.pdf

http://www.ncaapublications.com/p-4515-2017-18-and-2018-19-wrestling-rules-and-interpretations-2-year-publication.aspx

Edited by simple

30 minutes ago, simple said:

You're right that it's not in there, but that is the way it is consistently called, and it is what the referees are looking for when waiting to award an escape. I don't know if there is an officiating manual where this and other situations are explained, but I suspect there is, as the rulebook description of an escape is very short.