VAtoSC

2020 NCAA Team Title

Obviously this will be greatly affected by guys changing weights, redshirting (regular and Olympic next year), transfer, injuries, etc.

But going into the 2019-20 the team title seems to be much closer than the previous couple of years with 3-4 teams having realistic chances.

My guess of the top 10..

1. Penn State- IF Cassar comes back and Hall doesn't redshirt they could have a lineup of Teske, Bravo-Young, Lee, Verkleeren, Berge, Joseph, Hall, Brooks, Beard and Cassar. That is a lot of talent..

2. Iowa- Some big IF's on Olympic redshirts and weight changes, but could look like Lee, DeSanto, Murin/Renteria, Lugo, Young/Brands, Marinelli, Kemerer, Wilcke, Warner, Cassioppi

3. Oklahoma State-Does Fix redshirt? Where do Smith and Smith go? Could look like Piccininni, Fix, Brock, Gfeller, Lewallen, Smith, Wittlake, ?, Greer, ?

4. Ohio State-Some what of a drop due to graduation hits, but lots of talent in a lineup that could have Heinselman, Pletcher, Stickley, Sasso, Hayes, Campbell, Jordan, Hoffman, Moore, Kerkvliet

5. Michigan-Should have a strong team next year. Could look like Mattin, Micic, Silva, Storr, Lewan, Massa, Amine, Embree, ?, Parris

6. Missouri- Eierman will take the OLY RS, but the rest of the lineup could look like Punke, Johnson, ?, Leeth, Mauller, Jacques, Flynn, Wisman, Koelling, Elam

7. Cornell-Does Yanni take a redshirt? Do any freshmen start? Could look like Arujau, Tucker, Diakomihalis, Furnas, ?, ?, Ramirez, Dean, Darmstadt, Fernandez 

8. Virginia Tech- Does Lewis take an OLY RS? Who replaces Sleigh at 197? Hokies could look like Latona, Myers/Gerardi, M. Moore, B. Moore/Andonian, Laprade, Lewis, McFadden, Bolen, Smeltzer, Borst

9. Nebraska- Some question marks down low and at 149, but could look like Thomsen, Lovett, Red, ?, Robb, White, Labriola, Venz, Schultz, Jensen

10. Arizona State- Most people think Valencia bumps up and doesn't redshirt, could look like Courtney, Busiello, ?, Maruca, Teemer, Shields, A. Valencia, Z. Valencia, Norfleet, Hall  

HM- NC State, Rutgers, Minnesota, Wisconsin, UNC, Iowa State

Edited by VAtoSC
Correction to Michigan

11 minutes ago, scribe said:

Going to take some ORS commitments to make a call on this. 

Absolutely agree. I'm simply bored at work and wanted to do something to occupy myself for a little while. That rundown will change big time based on Oly RS. 

Yah, looks like a tight race right now. The preseason and early tournaments could be a bellwether for PSU since Teske, Verk, JLee, Beard, Brooks are untested at this level and some of the others very much have their work cut out for them to get to the top of the podium. I think next year will be Nick Lee's breakthrough year if he keeps improving - he's been looking great. 

Iowa looks like the favorite to me but I'm wondering if anyone will transfer between the logjam of JRent, Murin, Lugo, Young, Brands, Marinelli, Kimmer.

OSU also looks pretty good. Picc will be back at 125, right? People have been saying that OSU has been falling short of expectations and not looking tournament-ready over the last several years. I don't know if it's because of aggressive weight cutting or training/grinding too hard all season or what but I wonder if Coach Smith changes anything up to get the team to peak at the right time.

I think Cornell can lowkey make a run for the team title if they can resolve those question marks in the middle of their lineup or if Vito, Tucker, and Yianni bump up and they have a 125er ready to go (will Yianni's brother be a freshman next year?).

Right now it looks like the kind of season where an injury or two could totally derail a team's hopes for a title.

13 minutes ago, pamela said:

Yah, looks like a tight race right now. The preseason and early tournaments could be a bellwether for PSU since Teske, Verk, JLee, Beard, Brooks are untested at this level and some of the others very much have their work cut out for them to get to the top of the podium. I think next year will be Nick Lee's breakthrough year if he keeps improving - he's been looking great. 

Iowa looks like the favorite to me but I'm wondering if anyone will transfer between the logjam of JRent, Murin, Lugo, Young, Brands, Marinelli, Kimmer.

OSU also looks pretty good. Picc will be back at 125, right? People have been saying that OSU has been falling short of expectations and not looking tournament-ready over the last several years. I don't know if it's because of aggressive weight cutting or training/grinding too hard all season or what but I wonder if Coach Smith changes anything up to get the team to peak at the right time.

I think Cornell can lowkey make a run for the team title if they can resolve those question marks in the middle of their lineup or if Vito, Tucker, and Yianni bump up and they have a 125er ready to go (will Yianni's brother be a freshman next year?).

Right now it looks like the kind of season where an injury or two could totally derail a team's hopes for a title.

Piccininni is a R-Jr. I have no idea why I assumed he was a senior. Complete brain fart on my end. I've heard that Gfeller and Brock might swap weights for the cowboys. 

Cornell will have a very strong team next year with Vito, Tucker, Yianni, Dean, Darmstadt all in the lineup. Plus 4 very good recruits coming in Ramirez, Foca, Cardenas, and Ferndandez. Greg Diakomihalis is a junior and a class of 2020 commit. 

51 minutes ago, VAtoSC said:

Obviously this will be greatly affected by guys changing weights, redshirting (regular and Olympic next year), transfer, injuries, etc.

But going into the 2019-20 the team title seems to be much closer than the previous couple of years with 3-4 teams having realistic chances.

My guess of the top 10..

1. Penn State- IF Cassar comes back and Hall doesn't redshirt they could have a lineup of Teske, Bravo-Young, Lee, Verkleeren, Berge, Joseph, Hall, Brooks, Beard and Cassar. That is a lot of talent..

2. Iowa- Some big IF's on Olympic redshirts and weight changes, but could look like Lee, DeSanto, Murin/Renteria, Lugo, Young/Brands, Marinelli, Kemerer, Wilcke, Warner, Cassioppi

3. Oklahoma State-Does Fix redshirt? Where do Smith and Smith go? Could look like ?, Fix, Brock, Gfeller, Lewallen, Smith, Smith, Wittlake, Greer, ?

4. Ohio State-Some what of a drop due to graduation hits, but lots of talent in a lineup that could have Heinselman, Pletcher, Stickley, Sasso, Hayes, Campbell, Jordan, Hoffman, Moore, Kerkvliet

5. Michigan-Should have a strong team next year. Could look like Mattin, Micic, Silva, Storr, Lewan, Amine, Amine, Embree, ?, Parris

6. Missouri- Eierman will take the OLY RS, but the rest of the lineup could look like Punke, Johnson, ?, Leeth, Mauller, Jacques, Flynn, Wisman, Koelling, Elam

7. Cornell-Does Yanni take a redshirt? Do any freshmen start? Could look like Arujau, Tucker, Diakomihalis, Furnas, ?, ?, Ramirez, Dean, Darmstadt, Fernandez 

8. Virginia Tech- Does Lewis take an OLY RS? Who replaces Sleigh at 197? Hokies could look like Latona, Myers/Gerardi, M. Moore, B. Moore/Andonian, Laprade, Lewis, McFadden, Bolen, Smeltzer, Borst

9. Nebraska- Some question marks down low and at 149, but could look like Thomsen, Lovett, Red, ?, Robb, White, Labriola, Venz, Schultz, Jensen

10. Arizona State- Most people think Valencia bumps up and doesn't redshirt, could look like Courtney, Busiello, ?, Maruca, Teemer, Shields, A. Valencia, Z. Valencia, Norfleet, Hall  

HM- NC State, Rutgers, Minnesota, Wisconsin, UNC, Iowa State

Piccinnini will be back for Ok State I believe. I think Kinner probably has the inside track on 141 for Ohio State, but wouldn't be surprised to see Hayes drop all the way back down from 157 and then have Jaden Mattox slide in at 157. Michigan will have Massa back as well. I think you'll see Mauller redshirt for Mizzou next year when Leeth returns and possibly Jacques too allowing Peyton Mocco to slide in at 157 (beat Carr this year).

4 minutes ago, qc8223 said:

Piccinnini will be back for Ok State I believe. I think Kinner probably has the inside track on 141 for Ohio State, but wouldn't be surprised to see Hayes drop all the way back down from 157 and then have Jaden Mattox slide in at 157. Michigan will have Massa back as well. I think you'll see Mauller redshirt for Mizzou next year when Leeth returns and possibly Jacques too allowing Peyton Mocco to slide in at 157 (beat Carr this year).

Fixed Picc and Massa (I knew he was back I just wrote Amine twice-although they will have Cameron Amine there next year but I'd be shocked if he doesnt redshirt). 

Mocco may very well slide in at 157. From talking with a Mizzou fan he thought Mauller might bump up to 157 and Jacques to bump up to 165  and same with Flynn to 174. At this point it is pure speculation message board fodder-nothing concrete. Mauller does a have RS avaiable and so does Jacques. 

184/197 for OKST will most likely be some combination of Geer/Marsden/Montalvo.

I think we'll most likely see Mauller or Jacques redshirt.

I don't believe Yianni will take the year off because Ivy league does not allow redshirts, so he would have to withdraw from the school for a year. Plus, Yianni loves to wrestle.

I think we'll likely see Kinner over Stickley at tOSU. Maybe Hayes back down at 141? (Mattox could slide in at 157 if that's the case)

Busiello at 141, and Chlebove/Raimo at 133. 

edit: Busiello at 141, and Chlebove/Raimo at 133, IF Zeke decides to pull redshirts.

Edited by yonz_g

1 hour ago, VAtoSC said:

Quite a few of those guys won't start next year...

Stickley has not shot at 141. It will be Kinnar or Hayes if he can make 141. Hayes has no shot at 157,  just not big enough and his interest level this year at the weight reflected this (one possibility would be Sasso at 157 and Hayes at 149, but still unlikely). 157 will likely be Mattox. Campbell has no eligibility left, 165 will be Romero or Kharchla. Rocky Jordan has not wrestled all year and has been in a boot and thus very unlikely at 174 next year. Will be Ethan Smith. I would love to see Kerk at HWT but all indications are that he will RS and it will be Singletary.

Edited by DocBZ

Regarding Ohio State. TeShan has wrestled in 4 different NCAA Championships so I am confident he is done. Also, if your line up is the one they utilize then two of their three best wrestlers will be true freshmen. Not sure if that translates into winning an NCAA title, but they are still great wrestlers. 

Sorry if I missed someone posting it, but Womack , 2017 AA at 165 for Cornell 174 the last two years and 1, 3, 2 in the EIWA will be back. Maybe Ramirez or Barryesa (sp)  goes 165 ?

1 minute ago, Broomstick said:

Someone asked if Yianni will redshirt.  Does the ivy league allow Olympic RS?

Ivy LEague does not allow redshirts, he would have to withdraw form the school. I don't think he would anyways, he loves wrestling too much.

6 minutes ago, yonz_g said:

Ivy LEague does not allow redshirts, he would have to withdraw form the school. I don't think he would anyways, he loves wrestling too much.

Not saying he's going to do it, but withdrawing from Cornell for 1 year and training freestyle full-time with  NYRTC doesn't sound unreasonable at all.  Especially if he makes or gets close to making the team this year.  

Re Cornell, next years strong recruiting class along with the return of  Hunter Richard 149 and Fredy Stroker 157 could very well be top 3/4.

Add Greg D and Josh Saunders in 2020-21 and the Big Red is within a guy or two:of even better things.