VAtoSC

2020 NCAA Team Title

Was curious so I went ahead and looked this up.  In terms of who is returning the most points, see below. Note, I added Kemerer's 2018 point total to Iowa--same with Darmstadt, and also normalized Joe Smith's point total to match his last AA finish.  

Returning Team Score -- Points (# of wrestlers)
1) Iowa -- 91.5 ( 9)
2) Penn State -- 82 (6)
3) Cornell -- 63 (5)
4) Oklahoma State -- 58 (5)
5) Michigan -- 46 (6)
6) Virginia Tech -- 42 (5)
7) Ohio State -- 36.5 (6)
8) Nebraska -- 32.5 (6)

26 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Kemerer's total from 157? Does that really translate to 174 post knee surgery? 

Who knows.  It's not meant to be predictive for what's going to happen next year--just a point of reference.  

If I had to guess I would say he probably scores a few less points and places in the 5 - 8 range, but it's kind of pointless to project until we see what he actually looks like next year.  

17 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Who knows.  It's not meant to be predictive for what's going to happen next year--just a point of reference.  

If I had to guess I would say he probably scores a few less points and places in the 5 - 8 range, but it's kind of pointless to project until we see what he actually looks like next year.  

Agree.

1 hour ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I'm actually pretty high on Kemerer at 174. I think his style translates really well. I think a lot of people forget how good he is because it's been a while since we've seen him. He's lost to 3 guys: Nolf, Palacio, Jordan. Both of the losses to Palacio/Jordan were weird pins. He had dominated Jordan previously. He also has a career bonus rate of 65%. Depending on how redshirts/weight changes play out, I think he'll be right there to contend for a finals spot. Injuries could be a problem though. He's been banged up quite a bit his first two years. He might be the guy I'm most anxious to see next year.

ASU next year is looking excellent too. I know people say this every year, but this is actuallly their shot I think unless everyone takes Olympic shirts. 

They should have 9 top 10ish guys, including a guy that placed 3rd, a defending champion, a 2 time AA, plus Anthony Valencia who could win a title or go 0-2. 

I plan to do a full rundown post at some point 

Pretty sure that if Yianni takes a year off from school he can stretch out his eligibility to five years. If he stays enrolled, he can't. Ivy guys sometimes take a semester off to postpone completing their credits and graduating since the Ivies don't allow grad students to compete either. Yianni said something about switching to freestyle practice at the post-match press conference but didn't say that he was going to take a redshirt for it.

As for the projected Cornell middle weights, Furnas has graduated but Santoro and Berreyesa have not and Stroker should be back from injury. Richard and Schoenherr and maybe Colton Yapoujian will also compete to start. As someone else said, Womack is likely the starter at 174. AFAIK nobody knows who is greyshirting.

I do think ASU pulls all the red shirts they need at the lower weights. Courtney was not impressive this past season. If Raimo is healthy, I could see Chlebove 125, Raimo 133 and Busiello 141. Now the big surprise. Anthony has had a long time off and had all that time to bump up to, 184? What if he goes up there? My biggest question is Norfleet at 197. He wasnt the strongest guy at 184. The jump to 197 would have me extremely worried. Teemer is going to be fun. But if he goes 149, that could leave a big hole at 157

16 minutes ago, gobraves101905 said:

I do think ASU pulls all the red shirts they need at the lower weights. Courtney was not impressive this past season. If Raimo is healthy, I could see Chlebove 125, Raimo 133 and Busiello 141. Now the big surprise. Anthony has had a long time off and had all that time to bump up to, 184? What if he goes up there? My biggest question is Norfleet at 197. He wasnt the strongest guy at 184. The jump to 197 would have me extremely worried. Teemer is going to be fun. But if he goes 149, that could leave a big hole at 157

I think ASU will figure it out.  They are pretty likely to have a shortcoming in their lineup somewhere, just a question of where.  Their 125-141 situation could be a tossup or mystery depending on where their incoming recruits and Courtney and others stand.  I'd love to see Busiello and Chlebove wrestle though.  I could see the rest of the lineup looking something like this though....

149- Teemer/Maruca

157- Teemer/Maruca

165- Shields

174- A. Valencia

184- Z. Valencia

197- Norfleet

285- Hall

If they can figure out the first 3, ASU will be in pretty good position to challenge next year.  Teemer is a bigtime talent and I think Maruca has been very solid.  Shields is a proven talent and I think Valencia not pulling to 65 helps him a lot. Norfleet has talent and I think him getting into a college room has helped, he has a lot of guys who can help him out.  He was basically a part time wrestler in high school. Hall is solid and will definitely be an AA next year.  If everything breaks ASU's way they could have 6 or 7 AAs.  

8 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Was curious so I went ahead and looked this up.  In terms of who is returning the most points, see below. Note, I added Kemerer's 2018 point total to Iowa--same with Darmstadt, and also normalized Joe Smith's point total to match his last AA finish.  

Returning Team Score -- Points (# of wrestlers)
1) Iowa -- 91.5 ( 9)
2) Penn State -- 82 (6)
3) Cornell -- 63 (5)
4) Oklahoma State -- 58 (5)
5) Michigan -- 46 (6)
6) Virginia Tech -- 42 (5)
7) Ohio State -- 36.5 (6)
8) Nebraska -- 32.5 (6)

MN has 37 returning

12 hours ago, gowrestle said:

Suriano stays away from freestyle. Why?

He can’t cry about all of his adversity when he’s living for free at an OTC. He needs people to understand the struggle a D1 athlete on a full scholarship face.

9 hours ago, gobraves101905 said:

From what I had been told by some fans of ASU they don't think Chlebove can make 125. Thought was it was more likely for him and Busiello to go 133/141 

14 hours ago, qc8223 said:

I'm actually pretty high on Kemerer at 174. I think his style translates really well. I think a lot of people forget how good he is because it's been a while since we've seen him. He's lost to 3 guys: Nolf, Palacio, Jordan. Both of the losses to Palacio/Jordan were weird pins. He had dominated Jordan previously. He also has a career bonus rate of 65%. Depending on how redshirts/weight changes play out, I think he'll be right there to contend for a finals spot. Injuries could be a problem though. He's been banged up quite a bit his first two years. He might be the guy I'm most anxious to see next year.

Kemerer is interesting. He is a great wrestler but jumping up two weights is going to be tough. Its not like 174 is an easy weight either with Valencia (one of them), Hall, Amine, McFadden, Kutler, Labriola, and Skatzka all back plus potentially adding in a freshmen like Kharchla. I think some Iowa fans pencil in him automatically as top 3 at the weight and he might end there but it isn't guaranteed-especially after knee surgery. It takes 6-9 months to start wrestling again, and just over a year before its fully healed and no limitations. 

19 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Thanks--forgot to check them.  37 Returning from just 4 wrestlers.  

Plus Patrick McKee, Brayton Lee, Ryan Thomas, and Garrett Joles coming of redshirt could all contribute significantly.  Qualifier Carson Brolsma could drop to 157, opening 165 for Sophomore Jake Allar.  133 is the biggest question mark, may be watching the transfer portal.

44 minutes ago, MNRodent said:

Plus Patrick McKee, Brayton Lee, Ryan Thomas, and Garrett Joles coming of redshirt could all contribute significantly.  Qualifier Carson Brolsma could drop to 157, opening 165 for Sophomore Jake Allar.  133 is the biggest question mark, may be watching the transfer portal.

Lee is going to be a good one--kid is a gamer.  Have there ever been 3 All Americans with the same last name in one season?  Smith maybe?