Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Aside from Snyder and Cassar, are there smaller HWT champs?

Howard Harris and he pinned everyone he weighed below 200 maybe 195

Harris is one of the greatest wrestlers in the history of Oregon State University. He was a four-time All-American at 190 lbs and heavyweight, and holds the school record for career wins (169) and single season pins (40, 1980). He won the NCAA Heavyweight championship in 1980 with a perfect record of 46-0 and is one of only five wrestlers to pin every opponent in the NCAA tournament.[4] His dominance at the NCAA tournament garnered him the Outstanding Wrestler Award, the first African-American to win the award.[5]

Edited by cangemi

5 minutes ago, cangemi said:

Harris is one of the greatest wrestlers in the history of Oregon State University. He was a four-time All-American at 190 lbs and heavyweight, and holds the school record for career wins (169) and single season pins (40, 1980). He won the NCAA Heavyweight championship in 1980 with a perfect record of 46-0 and is one of only five wrestlers to pin every opponent in the NCAA tournament.[4] His dominance at the NCAA tournament garnered him the Outstanding Wrestler Award, the first African-American to win the award.[5]

I doubt he weighed less than 200 lbs - I believe he was around 210 to 215.  He was light for a heavyweight.

Fred Bohna, UCLA, Howard Harris, And Lou Banach were beat by Lehigh's Mike Brown at 190 the year prior to their HWT titles. So none was that big.

Wasn't Wojo bigger Dave Joiner, Making him a Big (270-290) HWT, Just small compared to Taylor. So it was like one man v one and a Half. (I think there is a TV series in there somewhere. 

19 hours ago, lu1979 said:

I doubt he weighed less than 200 lbs - I believe he was around 210 to 215.  He was light for a heavyweight.

I was told less then 200 from someone, Truth is I was not close enough to know  if that is bull**** or not. 

actually just found this online so we know he wrestled 190 that year and this article says 220 --I would say somewhere closer to LU1979 says is correct!

1980: Howard Harris, Oregon State. The third Beaver big man to win a national heavyweight title in a decade, Harris won the unlimited bracket at the 1980 NCAAs, and was voted the event's Outstanding Wrestler. He was a four-time NCAA All-American. 6'3", 220 pounds.

Edited by cangemi

20 hours ago, cangemi said:

Was going to mention him.  I had heard from old-timers he weighed about 205-210 (very lean, ripped dude) when he went heavyweight.  Think he went 90 kilos in freestyle (198 pounds).

Edited by Coach_J
clarity

I'm sure if you scour the HS record books you'll find 177 and 178 pound guys who were HWT champs at one time or another. MAYBE in the very early days of college wrestling you might find a few. In boxing Bob Fitzsimmons was world HWT champ for awhile at 160 pounds.