Sign in to follow this  
BigTenFanboy

197 should not have been last..

9 hours ago, nhs67 said:

While I agree they were probably prepared to anoint Nickal the Hodge had he won by pin there.

It didn't happen that way, though.

To me, it looked like Nickal didn't want to get greedy going for the fall and perhaps get rolled thru....he had it won, Penn State had it won, he probably had the Hodge locked up and if not, Nolf was probably next in line.....why get greedy.

9 hours ago, HoonMasta said:

Agreed it should have been 174 where you have two returning national champs in Hall and Valencia. Not complaining though as I'm a Nickal fan

Which also would have been led in by 165, which involved a guy on pace for 4 titles and the breakout star of the tournament. 184 would have also been a great kickoff match 

When was the decision made?  If early in the tournament, maybe they were thinking it would be a tight team race that would come down to the last PSU wrestler against the last tOSU wrestler to determine the winner.  Unfortunately, wrong on many accounts since the team race was never in question and Cassar continued to lose his underdog label.  

40 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

To me, it looked like Nickal didn't want to get greedy going for the fall and perhaps get rolled thru....he had it won, Penn State had it won, he probably had the Hodge locked up and if not, Nolf was probably next in line.....why get greedy.

I think Bo was rehearsing his acceptance speech at that moment.  "Hmm, maybe I'll anoint myself the most dangerous wrestler of the last 4 years.  Yeah that's it."

1 hour ago, TheOhioState said:

What a great guy.  He didn't want to hurt Kollin Moore's feelings by pinning him.

I’ve seen a lot of fans saying Bo didn’t roll through the cradle out of respect for Moore and I think that’s kind of silly. My thoughts are Bo was winning 5-1 with 20 ish seconds left so why roll through knowing there’s a tiny chance that Moore breaks your grip and ends up on top. It would’ve been a risk that was pointless to take. Anyone who thinks Bo didn’t want to pin Moore again in his last ever collegiate match is kidding themselves.

Yeah, it's not like Nickal has any prior experience making a mistake against an Ohio State wrestler in the finals and letting a title slip away...

Nickal is an easy character to market to the casual fan, especially after last year's final, which I assume is why they put him last.  I was in the arena so not watching on TV, but from the bits of the coverage they showed on the big screen it seemed like they were cutting to shots of Nickal warming up, walking in the tunnel, etc. in all of the televised rounds in anticipation of some fireworks to close out the whole thing.  

5 hours ago, goheels1812 said:

I’ve seen a lot of fans saying Bo didn’t roll through the cradle out of respect for Moore and I think that’s kind of silly. My thoughts are Bo was winning 5-1 with 20 ish seconds left so why roll through knowing there’s a tiny chance that Moore breaks your grip and ends up on top. It would’ve been a risk that was pointless to take. Anyone who thinks Bo didn’t want to pin Moore again in his last ever collegiate match is kidding themselves.

Agreed. Plus it favors his chances at a Hodge

19 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Was probably the most boring final of all 10 weights and well as the easiest to predict the winner.

Most boring?  Did you watch the Fix-Suriano match at all?  Snoozer.  The only thing more boring than that was their dual matchup.  The 197 final was not close to that level of boredom.

As others said, this was last because Bo Nickal is highly marketable and had the best potential to put on a good show for the casual wrestling fan.  A slight leader in points per match, giving him the title of most dominant wrestler, and a good chance at the Hodge.  Why not showcase him.  

48 minutes ago, MDAlum said:

Most boring?  Did you watch the Fix-Suriano match at all?  Snoozer.  The only thing more boring than that was their dual matchup.  The 197 final was not close to that level of boredom.

As others said, this was last because Bo Nickal is highly marketable and had the best potential to put on a good show for the casual wrestling fan.  A slight leader in points per match, giving him the title of most dominant wrestler, and a good chance at the Hodge.  Why not showcase him.  

Disagree. I thought Suriano v Fix was exciting and the people I was with when watching were on the edge of our seats for that one.

7 hours ago, goheels1812 said:

You are absolutely right. No chance Bo didn’t pin him to be nice. 

It was a calculated decision. Rolling through when you are up by 4 at the end of the match is risky. A 4 point lead isn’t enough in that scenario. 

It wasn’t worth the risk. Excellent awareness by Bo. While we all wanted to see him go for it (I was rooting for Moore), he made the smart decision. If he had lost there, it would’ve dramatically impacted his legacy. There are a lot of 2 time champs. There are very few 3 timers.