5. Mekhi Lewis 165 - 2 loss champ

6. Nick Suriano 133 - 3 loss champ

7. Mark Hall 174 - 1 loss runner up

8. Daton Fix - 2 loss runner up

9. Gable Steveson HWT - 2 loss 3rd placer

10. Kollin Moore 197 - 3 loss runner up

Spencer has 3 losses

4 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Joseph has to be on this list somewhere. He had a bad year but you can’t ignore his hefty resume. Hall is too low. 

Excluding Joseph was the entire point of his list. 

Despite the fact that Valencia has one more loss, I would put him ahead of Casser. Casser lost to White who was a 0 time AA before this year and beat him in the finals. Valencia lost to Hall who is 1-2-1 and Lewis is 4-6-4-4 I believe, and went on to beat Hall in the finals. If you are looking at body of work, Valencia should probably be #2

Edited by russelscout

8 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Despite the fact that Valencia has one more loss, I would put him ahead of Casser. Casser lost to White who was a 0 time AA before this year and beat him in the finals. Valencia lost to Hall who is 1-2-1 and Lewis is 4-6-4-4 I believe, and went on to beat Hall in the finals. If you are looking at body of work, Valencia should probably be #2

If looking at Body of work, Spencer should be 3 then and Cassar 4.

42 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Joseph has to be on this list somewhere. He had a bad year but you can’t ignore his hefty resume. Hall is too low. 

A bad year?  Only measured against his previous accomplishments.  He finished 2nd.  With 2 losses on the year.  He had a dominant year.  

Still subjective if you want to include him on your list or not, but the hyperbole of "bad year" is fake news.

And I'm not sure you would say Lewis dominated him.  Lewis is a counter puncher, and Joseph fell behind.  Had to play into his game.  Lewis could retreat and counter, and he won because of that.  Really, he beat marinelli that way too.  Brilliant strategy and execution, but I never call a counter puncher "dominant".

1. Yianni Diakomihalis
2. Zahid Valencia
3. Spencer Lee
4. Mark Hall
5. Mekhi Lewis
6. Vincenzo Joseph
7. Nick Suriano
8. Daton Fix
9. Gable Steveson
10. Kollin Moore

I didn't include Anthony Cassar because who knows if he is coming back. 

I would exclude Cassar, too, until he says he’s coming back. 

Also, I think some (but not all) undervalue Mekhi. Last summer he won a junior world gold with almost no freestyle experience. Then at NCAAs, in arguably the toughest weight class, he won a title without giving up a takedown. 

My top five:

1. Yianni
  2. Zahid
  3. Lee
  4. Mekhi
  5. Hall
Edited by Katie

Lee

Lewis

Gable

Zahid

Yianni

Fix

Hall

Joseph

Marinelli

Rivera

Moore

Suriano

Totally subjective. Its more how I think it’ll end up at the end of next year and how I think they’d do on a world stage

33 minutes ago, Katie said:

I would exclude Cassar, too, until he says he’s coming back. 

Also, I think some (but not all) undervalue Mekhi. Last summer he won a junior world gold with almost no freestyle experience. Then at NCAAs, in arguably the toughest weight class, he won a title without giving up a takedown. 

My top five:

1. Yianni

2. Zahid

3. Lee

4. Mekhi

5. Hall

I don’t think anybody on a list of pound for pound guys can be considered undervalued 

1 hour ago, MDAlum said:

A bad year?  Only measured against his previous accomplishments.  He finished 2nd.  With 2 losses on the year.  He had a dominant year.  

Still subjective if you want to include him on your list or not, but the hyperbole of "bad year" is fake news.

And I'm not sure you would say Lewis dominated him.  Lewis is a counter puncher, and Joseph fell behind.  Had to play into his game.  Lewis could retreat and counter, and he won because of that.  Really, he beat marinelli that way too.  Brilliant strategy and execution, but I never call a counter puncher "dominant".

Here's the thing: sometimes matches that end 9-3, 10-3, etc aren't the blowouts they appear to be on paper. The week before Joseph lost to Marinelli 9-3. 5 of Marinelli's points came off a failed Joseph throw attempt. That's hardly a blowout. Joseph got stuck exactly twice this year (also against Mekhi), and both times it cost him the match. He was losing both those matches anyway (not getting slaughtered, but getting stifled and losing).  Too bad, he had a shot at being another 4 timer, which nobody expected out of him. Would be ironic if he finished 2nd his last two years, huh? Kinda like IMAR looked like a for sure 4 X Champ after winning his FR/Soph years :D

1. Yianni Diakomihalis

2. Spencer Lee

3. Zahid Valencia

4. Mekhi Lewis

5. Nick Suriano

6. Mark Hall

7. Gable Steveson 

8. Vincenzo Joseph

9. Daton Fix

10.Marinell/Moore

*Cassar would be 2 if he comes back. 

Well, pound for pound who is the best going into next year?

1. Spencer Lee

2. Yianni Diakhomihalis

3. Zahid Valencia

4. Nick "Headgeargrabber" Suriano (LOL, suck on it Rutgers goons!).

5.Vincenzo Joseph

6. Mekhi Lewis

7. Mark Hall

8. Daton Fix

9. Alex Marinelli

10. Somebody who was able to crack the starting lineup at any weight other than HWT.....

6 hours ago, MDAlum said:

Joseph lost because Lewis cradled him up and put him on his back.  From the top position.  How is that “counterpunching”?  

17 hours ago, LCpl Schmuckatelli said:

Joseph lost because Lewis cradled him up and put him on his back.  From the top position.  How is that “counterpunching”?  

That is true.  He is a good top wrestler.  My position is that he is not good in neutral, and uses his length to fend off attacks without a real offense of his own.  He certainly won the title without controversy.  I am not trying to discredit any of that.  He might develop into an offensive threat in neutral, but it isn't there now.  

Once Joseph got turned, it became a defensive stall from Lewis to close it out.  Nothing wrong with that.