BuckyBadger

Bo Nickal Freestyle Questions

I think Nickal at 86 kg is a threat sooner rather than later.  

Does anyone have insight as to how he does vs Taylor in the room?  

Is 86 kg his ideal weight class?  I have no idea if had to cut to get to 197 this year, but he doesn’t look that big.

2020 may be too soon for him to catch up to Taylor, but I think he takes over after.

Edited by BuckyBadger

Good questions. Bo did mention he's looking forward to Tokyo 2020........maybe as Taylor's training partner again?  Ok, just kidding but in the same breath I don't see anyone beating Taylor in 2019 (already sitting in X) or 2020. So yes, Bo has a world of talent and will be interesting to see what he does for the freestyle season. Bo also mentioned he's not interested in BTS. We'll see what happens ther too.

I don't see Bo squeezing DT out either, but (just a guess) I'm thinking he's probably got sponsors reaching out now that his college career is over and so we may see him make a run for the WT/OT plus compete in open international tournaments sooner than later. Although I guess the absence of competition didn't seem to deter Jordan Oliver's sponsors.

Well hopefully he enters the US Open in April, and perhaps then we can get some sort of an idea then. But whether he goes 86, or 92, I think he will do very well. I wouldn't bet against him reaching the best of three in Final X at either of those two weight classes, heck he might be able to do it at 97 as well. 

3 hours ago, Alwayswrestling said:

what did Bo place at hte last Senior USA championships he entered?

2017 US Open.   He went 4-2

He was on the 2018 World Cup roster, but I'm pretty sure he didn't compete. 

Before that was the Jr WTT in 2016.

Zahid beat him in two straight matches:

8-2 and 2-1

Edited by CA_Wrestler

I know Bo gives Taylor a good match. I don't know anything beyond that, and to PSU's credit, they do a good job of preventing info leaks. 

I think Bo might go 92kg for trials this year. That is a complete guess ,but I doubt he tries to take Taylor's spot away unless he has no choice (like for the Olympic trials). 

I think a lot of the PSU guys go for the in between weights this year.

70 kg: Nolf

79 kg: Hall

92: Bo

23 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

I know Bo gives Taylor a good match. I don't know anything beyond that, and to PSU's credit, they do a good job of preventing info leaks. 

I think Bo might go 92kg for trials this year. That is a complete guess ,but I doubt he tries to take Taylor's spot away unless he has no choice (like for the Olympic trials). 

That's a little bit surprising to me, unless he's doing it with his size, because I am not sure Bo has the technique to match Taylor? Actually Bo's technique is kind of a question mark since he hasn't really had to rely on chain wrestling and superior positioning much over the last couple of years since he's been able to muscle his way out of scrambles and horse guys over to their backs.

I think you're right about Bo going 92kg this year, and am inclined to believe he'll want to grow into 97kg for OTTs. He's mentioned numerous times that he hates cutting weight and kinda of sucks at it anyway (I assume he never really had to do it much before) so maybe he'll take a pass on 86 even though it might not be too steep of a cut. 

11 minutes ago, pamela said:

That's a little bit surprising to me, unless he's doing it with his size, because I am not sure Bo has the technique to match Taylor? Actually Bo's technique is kind of a question mark since he hasn't really had to rely on chain wrestling and superior positioning much over the last couple of years since he's been able to muscle his way out of scrambles and horse guys over to their backs.

I think you're right about Bo going 92kg this year, and am inclined to believe he'll want to grow into 97kg for OTTs. He's mentioned numerous times that he hates cutting weight and kinda of sucks at it anyway (I assume he never really had to do it much before) so maybe he'll take a pass on 86 even though it might not be too steep of a cut. 

But against elite talent Taylor wins with scrambling and gas tank more than clean technique.  I'd favor Taylor (obviously the world champ), but if he dove at Bo from distance looking to muddy up the match and create action like he does with many guys, I don't think it'd end well for him.  Nickal has more length, just as much gas tank, and possibly an even better feel for positions.  He's kind of turned into a more dangerous version of Taylor.  It's another testament to Cael.

Now if he goes 97 kg in 2020 he won't sniff the team.  Hopefully he goes 92 this year and 86 next year.

Edited by boconnell

That's a good point about gas tank. Do you think DT can come close to matching Bo's strength and raw horsepower? I'm actually still getting used to seeing Taylor being able to use his raw strength which wasn't really a thing for him until pretty recently. Mostly I'm curious what it would look like if he tied up with Nickal and Bo got in his underhooks.

10 minutes ago, DuckFor2 said:

Nickal should give Greco a go with his style of wrestling.

I don't think this would be a good idea. I don't know much about Greco, but based on my limited expirience with it, the lack of leg attacks dramatically impacts how good free/folk style upper body guys are. To explain further, one of the reasons Bo is so dangerous in the clinch is because you can't step out of the clinch without giving up your legs. I imagine the defensive greco techniques allow for guys to evade clinches in ways that won't work in other styles. 

1 hour ago, pamela said:

Fair point. Worth noting that Bo was Taylor's training partner for worlds and even went there with him. 

When Bo wrestles guys close to his level, which is pretty rare, he is a little bit tighter. For example, the Gabe Dean final - Bo didn't go for any of his classic attacks. He stuck to the fundamentals and beat a guy who always sticks to fundamentals at his own game. It is incredibly impressive. I think his outcomes would've been even better if he had always done this. He could very well be a 4 timer, as his only NCAA loss came because he went for crazy stuff against a guy who it had worked on before. No way Bo could've known Martin had jumped levels over the prior couple of weeks. 

Back to freestyle...I really hope Bo doesn't go up to 97kg. Bo didn't cut to make 197. He didn't cut much for 184 previously either. 97kg guys walk at 220+. He will be giving up 20 pounds of muscle. If he plans to bulk up for the Olympics, that has to start now. look at how comparatively terrible Taylor was when he put on a lot of mass. It took him a good year and then he became a world beater. 

I also think Bo has a much better chance of beating the guys at 86 in 2020. Still a tall order, but going against Taylor, Zahid, Reenan, Ringer (I'm leaving some guys out but you get the point) seems like a more realistic path than beating Snyder, Cox and the rest of the 97kgers. 

Bo knows better than I do. I'm sure he will go wherever he feels like he is the best wrestler he can be and then the chips will fall where they fall

I want Bo to go where he believes the best chance for him to be our #1 this year and next, then if necessary reset for the following cycle.

Snyder is big and brutish, but Nickal does well against big and British.

I favor all of our gold medalists(which includes Snyder) from 74 on up to 97, however I believe his best shot may be at 97.

74-He isn't making 163lbs. No way.

79-He isn't making 174lbs either.

86-He can make 189lbs. I believe this is the 3rd likeliest route. His teammate and mentor holds this spot.

92-202lbs is only a few pounds up of 197, so this is his most immediately available weight class for him. I believe this is where he lands, although I believe Cox is the worst matchup between Taylor, Cox, and Snyder.

97-213lbs is where I want him to go. If he is going for the Oly spot, and allegiances are held, 97 is where he goes to prep for it. If his goal is Oly then he can take a hit first year out on size while bulking.

All this being said I don't know his personal situation(s). He may not care about this cycle so may just give 92 a go and do world's both years or 86 and be happy with 2nd on the team until Taylor hangs it up. He may aim for the 86 spot for the 2024 cycle.

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I want Bo to go where he believes the best chance for him to be our #1 this year and next, then if necessary reset for the following cycle.

I favor all of our gold medalists(which includes Snyder) from 74 on up to 97, however I believe his best shot may be at 97.

86-He can make 189lbs. I believe this is the 3rd likeliest route. His teammate and mentor holds this spot.

92-202lbs is only a few pounds up of 197, so this is his most immediately available weight class for him. I believe this is where he lands, although I believe Cox is the worst matchup between Taylor, Cox, and Snyder.

97-213lbs is where I want him to go. If he is going for the Oly spot, and allegiances are held, 97 is where he goes to prep for it. If his goal is Oly then he can take a hit first year out on size while bulking.

All this being said I don't know his personal situation(s). He may not care about this cycle so may just give 92 a go and do world's both years or 86 and be happy with 2nd on the team until Taylor hangs it up. He may aim for the 86 spot for the 2024 cycle.

Nobody puts in the work to compete with the goal of being 2nd place.  He may choose to avoid 86 to not wrestle Taylor, but there is no way if he goes 86 he's happy to lose.

10 minutes ago, boconnell said:

Nobody puts in the work to compete with the goal of being 2nd place.  He may choose to avoid 86 to not wrestle Taylor, but there is no way if he goes 86 he's happy to lose.

I didn't mean a joyful sort of ecstasy.  Meant contented due to the situation and understanding that it was his teammates chance now and his would be coming soon(very soon).

Snyder will obliterate Bo.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

SnyderMan vs Bo, I am going with SnyderMan. Kyle is a very strong offensive juggernaut, who has a ton of experience and a gas tank to match. However, it is a match I would love to see. Bo is great and I expect him to be an immediate threat, and it wouldn't surprise me that we see Bo in the finals of Final X, at whatever weight ( 86, 92, 97, ) he decides to compete at. 

3 hours ago, cjc007 said:

Snyder will obliterate Bo.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

And they’re basically the same age. So, yeah, maybe Bo should go to Snyder’s weight....

Edited by scribe

Bo had one of the greatest collegiate careers in history. Better than Taylor’s or Snyder’s for sure. In fact, he is a late move by MM from being in the discussion of 2 or 3 best. I understand favoring those two guys, because they are incredible. Especially Snyder, but why is it crazy to think that a talent like Nickal could transition as fast and effectively as Burroughs? Nickal is one of the best pure athletes we have seen in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk