Sign in to follow this  
BHawk91

Overwhelming Team Favorite to NOT Win It

Has there ever been an overwhelming favorite like PSU was this year to win the team race that did not.

I am not sure what you would categorize an overwhelming favorite (how many wrestlers ranked in the top 5? Top 3?) but I’m sure we all would have been shocked if PSU did not win it considering who they had ranked and where they were ranked.

Any teams come to mind?

Just now, Gantry said:

Am I crazy or was that Iowa team in Gable's last year that broke the scoring record not favored to win?  Maybe I'm misremembering, but I'm pretty sure they lost a dual that year

Okie St. beat Iowa during the year at national duals. I am not sure if they met another time during the year or not. 

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

Okie St. beat Iowa during the year at national duals. I am not sure if they met another time during the year or not. 

Ok St beat Iowa in the one dual they had that year. Ok St may have been a slight favorite going into NCAAs. Lincoln McIlravy did not wrestle in the dual so right there puts an * on margin of victory. 

That said, Ok St underperformed a tad and Iowa wrestled well over seeds to make it a huge gap at NCAAs. 

Fyi- Iowa actually lost duals in other championship years. Crazy right?

21 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

Fyi- Iowa actually lost duals in other championship years. Crazy right?

Just by looking at Wikipedia, Iowa definitely didn't go undefeated in '75(Gary Kurdelmeier), '76, '78, '81, '82, '83, '84 and they won titles in all those years. There may have been a couple of other years in there, but on wikipedia it doesn't show the record from every year, and I have been down this road and had a hard time finding past dual records for Iowa before. It is interesting that Iowa took dual losses in '81 and '83 since they had 9 AA's both years. In '83 they had 4 NCAA champs, scored 155 pts at the NCAAs and had 9 Big Ten Champs. How could they lose that year?

Edited by russelscout

14 minutes ago, russelscout said:

. In '83 they had 4 NCAA champs, scored 155 pts at the NCAAs and had 9 Big Ten Champs. How could they lose that year?

Well they lost by 5 to Ok St in dual. Ok St got 6 in dual at 118. At NCAAs Ok St 118 #1 seed DNP and Iowa #8 seed placed 5th. Pretty big swing just at that weight. 

And NCAA champ Lou Banach got pinned in the dual as well. 

Edited by KTG119

1 hour ago, GockeS said:

1987? or 1986? the year Iowa had the X on their poster? ..tho they may not have been the overwhelming favorite...

That was the 86-87 season.  Gable was so confident that the Hawkeyes would win their tenth NCAA title in a row that he had a big black X stitched on to their uniform warm-ups.  However, they ended up 25 points behind Iowa State, who they had just beaten in their last dual of the season 18-15.  Iowa State had won their first dual meet that year.  (Incidentally, Penn State also beat them early in the season in their only dual that year.)

1 Iowa State 133  

2 Iowa 108  

3 Penn State 97.75

4 Oklahoma State 85.25 

8 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

Well they lost by 5 to Ok St in dual. Ok St got 6 in dual at 118. At NCAAs Ok St 118 #1 seed DNP and Iowa #8 seed placed 5th. Pretty big swing just at that weight. 

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6246806-top-10-ncaa-seasons-of-all-time 

Pretty good article on the best teams ever by flo. I was not aware that '97 technically have the scoring record, but adjusting for the changes in rules, '91 Iowa with 170.5,  '92 Iowa with 175, and '83 with 177.5 all had higher team scores. Yikes.

Edited by russelscout

Okie St was a solid favorite in Gable's last year so much so that they had already picked Coach Myron Roderick to hand out the championship torphy on Saturday night.  That left them scrambling Friday after semi finals to change their presenter to Danny Gable's HOF HS wrestling coach the late Mr. Robert "Burly" Siddens to present the championship trophy to Gable and his championship team.  I was a little gather Friday night after the semi's Mr. Siddens had a HUGE smile on his face.  Great memory and time!

On 3/27/2019 at 3:17 PM, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

That was the 86-87 season.  Gable was so confident that the Hawkeyes would win their tenth NCAA title in a row that he had a big black X stitched on to their uniform warm-ups.  However, they ended up 25 points behind Iowa State, who they had just beaten in their last dual of the season 18-15.  Iowa State had won their first dual meet that year.  (Incidentally, Penn State also beat them early in the season in their only dual that year.)

1 Iowa State 133  

2 Iowa 108  

3 Penn State 97.75

4 Oklahoma State 85.25 

Not a big deal, but it was a gold "X" on the left thigh of the singlet.  At the time, they were tied with USC Outdoor Men's Track and Field, which has since been broken.