tommygun

Lose a challenge, lose a point

15 hours ago, jchapman said:

Do we know the % of challenges that resulted in overturned calls, this season, at B1G, at NCAAs, etc?

At NCAA's:

Total Reviews = 127

Coaches Challenges = 96

Officials Review = 32

Calls Overturned = 27 / 127 = 21.25%

In other words, 1 out of every 5 reviews was changed.

This information is right on FloWrestling website.

3 hours ago, ptz305 said:

If you make it a match point and teams are allowed unlimited reviews, they will challenge everything at the end of matches.

Make it a team point (or two, or three, or four) and make them unlimited. A team can challenge, but they better be sure. It wouldn't result in a ton of  challenges because the teams at the bottom are at the bottom due to only having a few wrestlers that are not progressing through the tournament and the teams at the top wouldn't challenge everything because they want their points. 

I get what you are saying, but I don't think anything should ever impact the team score. I can't think of a single example elsewhere where you can impact the team score through doing something other than scoring. The sport should move away from these types of penalties.

I think limiting the number of challenges and giving the opponent a point if the call isn't overturned would be sufficient. I agree this is a big issue.

44 minutes ago, OfficialObserver said:

At NCAA's:

Total Reviews = 127

Coaches Challenges = 96

Officials Review = 32

Calls Overturned = 27 / 127 = 21.25%

In other words, 1 out of every 5 reviews was changed.

This information is right on FloWrestling website.

I'm asking specifically about breaking it down into coaches challenges and officials reviews.  My thought is that officials reviews will have a higher overturn rate as compared to coaches challenges.

2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

I get what you are saying, but I don't think anything should ever impact the team score. I can't think of a single example elsewhere where you can impact the team score through doing something other than scoring. The sport should move away from these types of penalties.

I think limiting the number of challenges and giving the opponent a point if the call isn't overturned would be sufficient. I agree this is a big issue.

How is a match point any different? I can't think of any other situation where points are given to one team or the other because of a penalty or missed challenge. 

Edited by ptz305

There should not be a penalty for a lost challenge. No team has more than three challenges in the whole tournament. Zeke Jones ran out on Thursday. 1-3 qualifiers= 1 challenge; 4-6 qualifiers= 2 challenges; 7-10 qualifiers= 3 challenges. This is a reasonable number considering the number of matches.

Matches per team at 2019 championships
Penn State - 46
Ohio State - 46
OK State - 45
Iowa - 49
Michigan - 40

I think three challenges without penalty are fine considering the number of potential matches. For the whole tournament, there were 95 coach challenges spread out among 640 total matches. This seems like a reasonable amount.

Third party review should be required, not optional, because officials do not have the humility to look a call and admit a mistake, especially when the second official is whispering in his ear that he got it right the first time. Also, coaches need to not waste their challenges trying to get a hands to the face call. I don't think that worked once.

I also wish we could get a breakdown of how many coach challenges were accepted. I assume almost all of the 27 changed calls were initiated by the officials and not the coaches.