Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

If Iowa doesn't win the team title in 2020 does Brands' seat get hot?

Returning 7 All Americans next year....PSU losing big guns in Nickal, Nolf and maybe Cassar and Rasheed.  This is Iowa's best shot at a time title in the last 10 years.  If Brands can't get it done next year does his seat heat up?

Or is he safe regardless?

Not until there is someone better. Who right now would do a better job than the current staff? There are maybe 5 people that come to mind, all of which are at programs they won’t leave. Even still there is a lot of risk - the Brands are really good coaches, know Iowa well, are well connected at the university, etc. 

Look at their lineup next 4 years. It will be full of hammers, including some young ones. Kids will transfer if Brands is fired. 

1 hour ago, Sheerstress said:

Iowa fans are probably as impatient as ever, but if they were to get rid of Brands, who is the replacement?

It's got to be somebody who has real cache with the kids. A guy with impeccable college credentials and a Gold medal on the world stage, nothing impresses the kids more than success. I'd go with somebody like Dake, Taylor, Burroughs, Varner, etc. Probably Varner's Gold was long enough ago that a lot of these hot HS wrestlers don't remember, so he'd be at the bottom of the list of those guys.

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

Not until there is someone better. Who right now would do a better job than the current staff? There are maybe 5 people that come to mind, all of which are at programs they won’t leave. Even still there is a lot of risk - the Brands are really good coaches, know Iowa well, are well connected at the university, etc. 

Look at their lineup next 4 years. It will be full of hammers, including some young ones. Kids will transfer if Brands is fired. 

Do you think Pop will ever leave NC State? That’s got to be a guy on the radar of big programs if they ever need to replace their coach, particularly Oklahoma State. 

16 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

Do you think Pop will ever leave NC State? That’s got to be a guy on the radar of big programs if they ever need to replace their coach, particularly Oklahoma State. 

Can't see OSU giving the reins to a guy that didn't wrestle for the Cowboys.

27 minutes ago, PSUSMC said:

He was a multi-time NCAA qualifier for OK State.

Totally forgot he wrestled for OSU. Probably because he was never an NCAA champ. Thanks for making me feel old :(

While reading up on him after seeing your message, I saw he did have a #1 recruiting class at NCSU one year, which shocked me. That's what is needed if anybody is to finally beat Cael, superior talent. Guess my heart is set on Branch, though.

17 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Totally forgot he wrestled for OSU. Probably because he was never an NCAA champ. Thanks for making me feel old :(

While reading up on him after seeing your message, I saw he did have a #1 recruiting class at NCSU one year, which shocked me. That's what is needed if anybody is to finally beat Cael, superior talent. Guess my heart is set on Branch, though.

Branch is an awesome coach. Pop is as well. Getting Hayden Hidlay and his brother was huge for the program. Also something I don’t think people realize is how good Pop is at developing wrestlers. Michael Machiavello came to NC State as a 1 time NC state champion. Not exactly a blue chip recruit but Pop and staff developed him into a national champion by his senior year. 

Between Branch, Pop, and Coleman Scott the OSU coaching tree is becoming extremely successful. I love everything Coleman has done for UNC and hope he stays around for a while. 

20 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

Branch is an awesome coach. Pop is as well. Getting Hayden Hidlay and his brother was huge for the program. Also something I don’t think people realize is how good Pop is at developing wrestlers. Michael Machiavello came to NC State as a 1 time NC state champion. Not exactly a blue chip recruit but Pop and staff developed him into a national champion by his senior year. 

Between Branch, Pop, and Coleman Scott the OSU coaching tree is becoming extremely successful. I love everything Coleman has done for UNC and hope he stays around for a while. 

I was stoked that Macchiavello won a title his SR year after never AAing before. Seems like a great kid, too. I get his name wrong sometimes.

I dont think brands will be in the hot seat. l thought he did a great job (all the coaches) at the NCAAs getting their wrestlers ready. young was a surprisingly high finish, murin wrestled well and was a match short of AA, lugo wrestled well and so did warner at the end. Even had Stoll scoring points and strategizing to move into the tournament.  of course lee, desanto and marinelli wrestled well. these next few years will be exciting for Hawkeye fans. question will be- will lee take a redshirt year? if they want to win a title they need him there.  but it sounds like he wont sinve gilman is there. 

2 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Can't see OSU giving the reins to a guy that didn't wrestle for the Cowboys.

Joe Seay never Wrestled for the Cowboys, He Wrestled for Kansas State, E.C. Gallegher NEVER WRESTLED, but He was the Wrestling Coach at Oklahoma State (EXTREMELY SUCCESSFUL), I hope John Smith coaches for 20-30 more years, but based on Gallegher's Success, when Smith decides to retire, and the same with Brands at Iowa, Maybe they should go with someone who has never wrestled and see if he can emulate the success Gallagher had as a Wrestling coach.  few if any have suggested a person who has never wrestled to lead a top program, but 11 NCAA titles and 19  Undefeated seasons, maybe that is the way to go, results speak louder than words,  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_C._Gallagher

Edited by dougb

Well this topic has been discussed at length many times before, and my take is the same, as long as Dan Gable and the Iowa AD are happy with  TnT, they aren't going anywhere. I believe that everyone knows Cael is in the middle of great run, and there is very little anyone can do about it presently. I think the best TnT can do is try and recruit ( which they been doing ), and develop like crazy, and hope for a down year in Happy Valley. 

Also, I may get people who disagree with this but as long as Dan Gable has a say, I believe only a former Iowa wrestler (that has all the right qualifications), would be brought in if TnT were to be let go. And at the moment, I don't think there is anybody out there that fits this description. 

Lastly, Now let's just say that there are some people that are unhappy and may be pushing for a change, who is out there that could replace TnT, and still maintain the same or greater success? Secondly, even though Iowa isn't winning titles, they are having wrestlers win individual titles, as well as getting numerous wrestlers achieve AA status, which continues making Iowa one of the top programs in the nation. So to the people that are unhappy, I would say to them, be careful what you wish for. 

23 minutes ago, dougb said:

Joe Seay never Wrestled for the Cowboys, He Wrestled for Kansas State, E.C. Gallegher NEVER WRESTLED, but He was the Wrestling Coach at Oklahoma State (EXTREMELY SUCCESSFUL), I hope John Smith coaches for 20-30 more years, but based on Gallegher's Success, when Smith decides to retire, and the same with Brands at Iowa, Maybe they should go with someone who has never wrestled and see if he can emulate the success Gallagher had as a Wrestling coach.  few if any have suggested a person who has never wrestled to lead a top program, but 11 NCAA titles and 19  Undefeated seasons, maybe that is the way to go, results speak louder than words,  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_C._Gallagher

Yeah, Joe Seay was an OSU coach who never wrestled there.

How'd that end up working out?

Maybe the fans and administration will cut him some slack while Nelson is in school there. He's probably earned enough goodwill to not get fired while his nephew is on the team. Or maybe not, who knows.

Also I think Brands' contract runs through the 2023 season or something like that and it seems doubtful that the AD would want to pay for a buyout for wrestling, even if it is Iowa.

Edited by pamela