Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Cael's in match coaching

Anyone else notice that Cael basically is silent during matches.  He doesn't really seem to do anything other than throw the brick.  Meanwhile, Cunningham is very vocal and active.

Makes me wonder if Cunningham is really the brains behind the operation, while Cael is the face.

1 minute ago, russelscout said:

In match coaching is overrated. I am not saying it doesn't help at all, but if the wrestler doesn't know at that point, then they don't stand a chance anyways. 

from my experience I couldn't really my coach during a match anyway.  But I do think having an alert coach for purposes of challenges is vital. Casey seems to excel at that.

I think it has more to do with the fact that Cael has the utmost confidence in his wrestlers. All of the preparation leading up to a match has already been done, so the wrestler should know what to do.

But it really depends on the match. During Nickal v Martin 2016 NCAA Finals, Cael was shouting a lot at Bo after he got turned

I don't think that screaming instructions during matches is necessarily the mark of a good or successful coach.  At the college level, and especially D1, wrestlers know what they're doing, and their actions are probably 99% automatic/muscle memory.  Frankly, I think one could actually put forth a sound argument that overall program management trumps technical aspects of the sport in many cases (within reason, of course).  Cael, for example, has a very low-key personality, and I see no reason to think that changes in the practice room.  However, he has proven time and again that he is adept at lineup management, he is able to get his athletes to "peak" at the right time, and he instills a sense of confidence in his wrestlers.  In other words, they believe in him and they believe in the product he is selling.  Listen to Penn State wrestler interviews- you'd think Cael is the messiah from the way they talk about him.  These qualities, while very intangible, are quite powerful.

He definitely talks to his wrestlers during video reviews (which is to say, OFTEN), injury time, between periods and resets, and other breaks in the action. Just not by screaming or gesticulating wildly. 

A bunch of his guys don't really need to make big in-match adjustments anyway? Like if I was coaching Nolf, I'd be sitting back with a latte, posting photos of the match on Insta and shooting the breeze with Quint.

Edited by pamela

"Cunningham the brains and Cael is the face".....

If you believe matches are won due to instructions being screamed at a kid during match...then I can't help you. 

Maybe the match is won from killing the recruiting game, intense practice sessions engulfed in high level technique training and live sessions, and full trust that the athletes you trained will carry out what they learned in practice. 

^^^^All of that......is because of Cael. 

4 hours ago, Dr. Novak said:

Screaming coaches just make idiots of themselves.   It's mostly young assistants who recently stopped wrestling and are having a difficult time realizing the focus is not on them.  

And Terry Brands

Coaches, especially head coaches in D1, seem more focused on calling penalties and grandstanding 

At most of the top programs, the assistants are doing a lot of the personalized in room coaching anyways, so they are better equipped to know what their wrestler should do in that moment. Yelling moves almost never helps though. Occasionally you see it work out

9 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Anyone else notice that Cael basically is silent during matches.  He doesn't really seem to do anything other than throw the brick.  Meanwhile, Cunningham is very vocal and active.

Cael telepathically communicates to Cunningham who then verbalizes the info to the wrestler.

10 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Makes me wonder if Cunningham is really the brains behind the operation, while Cael is the face.

I never wanted the coach in my corner screaming and yelling and acting the fool. I assume most wrestlers are the same.

Think back to your days on the mat.  Did you ever hear anything being yelled to you during a match...ever?  Even during a break, you look at your coach but you really can't hear too much of what they are saying.   Add 18,000 people into the mix, and screaming instructions during a match just makes a coach look like an idiot.  

i had wrestlers who would say this. I can't hear  you. too much noise, the headgear...

one of the moms took them aside... just listen, focus on his voice...

they all came back... wow, i can hear him.

lol

In Cassar's match it looked like Cael actually got on the mat in referee's position to show a move, might have been Varner. If that was Cael that is the most active I have seen him during a match. A few times he has shown some excitement post match, like when Nickal pinned MyMar last year. People used to always give Metcalf a hard time for never showing excitement. Some guys just don't express themselves like that.

He picks his spots to give match advice and thus the kids listen more when he speaks. Some coaches feel the need to yell every single minute detail like these kids haven't been wrestling their whole life. The other coaches haven't figured out that if they yell underhook to your double, the other guy kinda knows that is coming...well unless that is code word for headlock or something.

3 hours ago, BobDole said:

The other coaches haven't figured out that if they yell underhook to your double, the other guy kinda knows that is coming...well unless that is code word for headlock or something.

And now I need in match encryption code.  

A few years ago, an NCAA champ, then a coach when he posted here said that he thinks "it is just as important to know when NOT to say anything as a coach during a match", (paraphrasing). Totally agree.

Also agree with some of the posts above. So many times I've seen coaches "babysit" and scream out instructions during the entire match, to elite level wrestlers no less. And too often it looks like a coach will scream out instructions, the wrestler loses his focus and then gets immediately scored on. I could give some real good examples here but don't want to disrespect some high level coaches.