JC

Championship attendees: for we who ain’t never been to one, TELL US:

you may answer ALL or some, or even just one.

1.    Which moment is more exciting, for you? The start of the tournament, OR the start of the Finals?

2.    For what was the LOUDEST applause or reaction that YOU have ever heard?

[for example; a PSU wrestler winning, or an OSU (either OSU) wrestler winning (and so on), or a Dake 4th title, etc., etc. Name the occasion for the SINGLE LOUDEST applause that you can remember.]

3.    What is the one concession food item that you ALWAYS buy and eat?

4.    What is the one high-priced food item that you really do want but hate to purchase?

5.    If you’re willing to tell, has there ever been an undefeated top seed that you WANTED to see lose? But provided that he was not wrestling the wrestler for YOUR team.

6.    What is the music like? Is it loud and overbearing like at a football game (domed stadium game)? Or is it real good and actually ADDS to the overall atmosphere?

7.    Excluding all consolation rounds, do you ever feel any LULLS in the action?

8.    You who sit up high, how well can you see the action on the floor? Are there TV monitors that you look at?

9.    What was the most pleasant conversation that you ever had with a stranger sitting next to you or nearby? On the contrary, you ever get close to fisticuffs with somebody sitting nearby? Or witness such?

10. Can you describe any moment that brought you to tears, or near tears?

Thank you. I (perhaps we) look forward to reading your responses.

Great questions. To add to this:

Does your seat really matter? Is sitting super close helpful? 

I've always been concerned I would miss a lot of matches I catch from home, especially during the early rounds. once the Semis hit, being there seems like it would be way more fun. Prior though I'm worried I'll be pissed for missing half the quarters and most of the earlier round matchups. Even during the R12 it is a struggle

31 minutes ago, JC said:

1.    Which moment is more exciting, for you? The start of the tournament, OR the start of the Finals?

[for example; a PSU wrestler winning, or an OSU (either OSU) wrestler winning (and so on), or a Dake 4th title, etc., etc. Name the occasion for the SINGLE LOUDEST applause that you can remember.]

4.    What is the one high-priced food item that you really do want but hate to purchase?

5.    If you’re willing to tell, has there ever been an undefeated top seed that you WANTED to see lose? But provided that he was not wrestling the wrestler for YOUR team.

6.    What is the music like? Is it loud and overbearing like at a football game (domed stadium game)? Or is it real good and actually ADDS to the overall atmosphere?

7.    Excluding all consolation rounds, do you ever feel any LULLS in the action?

8.    You who sit up high, how well can you see the action on the floor? Are there TV monitors that you look at?

9.    What was the most pleasant conversation that you ever had with a stranger sitting next to you or nearby? On the contrary, you ever get close to fisticuffs with somebody sitting nearby? Or witness such?

Jimmy Buns, is that you?

my first experience at NCAA's way back in the late 80's was really cool

im a husker football fan and the crowd cheers loud when the huskers score a touchdown.

well, when Iowa got a takedown, a single takedown, the crowd erupted on that scale. (cue the iowa hater jokes.)

it's not like that anymore... it gets loud...but not like those first years. maybe it's just me... but im older so it should be louder?

i just thought... wow it must be incredible to wrestle at some of these places that value wrestling

i actually thought about moving. but im not much of an Iowa fan.

Edited by GockeS

I thought it got crazy loud when Caldwell beat Metcalf, but Metcalf effectively silenced (stunned?)the crowd momentarily with his shenanigans.  

Sat next to Mark Branch's wife and little kids one year (Des Moines maybe?).  Then Branch came up and joined them for the finals and actually chatted with me about all sorts of things, wrestling and non-wrestling related.  I've been a fan of his ever since.

Had a great time drinking with Joe&Jim Gibbons and Mike Sheets at the hotel bar in St Louis one year.  They really know how to have fun, and the stories were awesome.

Loudest: Rob Rohn pinning Lambretch!

Upstaged Cael Sanderson 159/0.

It was an exhilarating experience.

As for Music, Ozzy Crazy Train and the House of Pain, Jump Around.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1.    Which moment is more exciting, for you? The start of the tournament, OR the start of the Finals?

Start of the finals, without a doubt.  The start of the tournament is exciting but it's a morning session.  The finals is Saturday night, there's been a long break between sessions and half the arena is at least a few drinks in by that point, so there's a different buzz about it in addition to the matches being more important.  

2.    For what was the LOUDEST applause or reaction that YOU have ever heard?

In the past 10 years I remember Ness over Dennis as being exceptionally loud.  Nickal over Martin last year was big as well, as was Martin over Nickal at MSG.  

3.    What is the one concession food item that you ALWAYS buy and eat?

Peanuts?  

4.    What is the one high-priced food item that you really do want but hate to purchase?

Dippin' Dots.  Ice cream of the future.    

5.    If you’re willing to tell, has there ever been an undefeated top seed that you WANTED to see lose? But provided that he was not wrestling the wrestler for YOUR team.

Depends on the round.  Generally I'm all for chaos, but I'd also like to see the best possible matchups in the semis and finals.    

6.    What is the music like? Is it loud and overbearing like at a football game (domed stadium game)? Or is it real good and actually ADDS to the overall atmosphere?

Varies somewhat by arena, but I think it's typically a non-issue and generally additive to the environment.  

7.    Excluding all consolation rounds, do you ever feel any LULLS in the action?

Yes, but hardly any if you're a fan of wrestling and not just a fan of "your team."  Bracket challenges, fantasy drafts, and gambling help as well.  

8.    You who sit up high, how well can you see the action on the floor? Are there TV monitors that you look at?

Again, depends on the arena, but I've sat in the 5th row and the 5th from last row, and enjoyed both.  Some arenas have TV monitors in the upper decks that are useful but generally you'll be able to see all of the action pretty well even from the upper upper deck.  

9.    What was the most pleasant conversation that you ever had with a stranger sitting next to you or nearby? On the contrary, you ever get close to fisticuffs with somebody sitting nearby? Or witness such?

I met a Penn State fan from Oklahoma this year.  He said he roots for them because he likes their singlet, and that he's been following them since 2016 so he's not one of those "fake fans."  I called him a phony and we got pretty close to fisticuffs.  I think I could have taken him, too.  Granted,  he looked pretty tough for an 11 year old, but I had justice and Jim Beam on my side.   

Tears no.  Plenty of moments of absolute dejection or elation, though.  

Edited by steamboat_charlie v2

With Dippin' Dots part of the future we are doomed. Astronaut Ice Cream tastes better.

I have a (free) cell phone app that records decibels. Problem is You need to refresh it ever minute or less, or it shuts off. Maybe if enough of us downloaded, we could get meaningful data. 

1. Finals, but I enjoy R12 and semifinals a lot as well.

2.  Too many to specify.

3. Nachos with extra cheese and extra jalapenos

4. nothing is off my table

5. Jake Varner. Would've been happy to see him lose every match.

6. Don't pay much attention to it. Usually it's simpering pop music or country-pop. That's still better than (C)rap, but not by much.

7. There are always huge lulls in wrestling tournaments.

8. I have vision correctable to 20/20, but I watch replays on the monitors, naturally.

9. I don't usually chat with the people around me, I just spectate. If someone addresses me directly I'll answer.

10. I cried when Ed Banach lost to Mark Schultz. JK..I was stoked :D

19 hours ago, JC said:

1.The  start of the finals is most exciting.

I think the semis are the most fun to watch.

3.Popcorn or pretzel.

4.Does beer count ?

Way too expensive at most places

7.Depending on the year,yea.lots of lulls.

8.Depends on the arena.

Best seats I've ever had were at the Garden.

They were at the very top of the arena.

Thing is,apparently the NCAA didn't know that they are condidered the best seats

in the Garden.

Its called "The Bridge".

The seats overhang over the lower sections.

Only 2 rows of seats,with a plexi panel.

Unobstructed view of all the mats and clear view of all the  screens.

9.I live in N.J.

When the Finals were in NYC I gave my tickets for Sat.morning to a friend of

ours ,whose son had just finished his junior wrestling season.

When we went to finals the people sitting next to us couldn't stop

talking about what a great kid he was.

Attentive and kept saying "wow".

They also said he ate just about everything they were

selling at the stands.

His  "catch phrase " ,  "soooo hungry".

Never had any issues with anyone sitting near me.

Never saw any either.

Just some good natured "banter".

20 hours ago, JC said:

1 - Semis/blood round. Nothing like it. It was awesome (in cleveland last year)

2- Idk if it was the loudest I'v ever heard, but the way the arena erupted when they called Kyle Snyder's name to run out for the finals last year was unexplainable. The wrestling world loves him, and being in Ohio helped obviously I'm sure. Close second when JDJ threw Guilibon to his back for the W at BIg Ten's in Columbus a few years ago. 

3- Dew

4- Dip n Dots

5- Hall. Hope he gets another one next year though, sincerly. Just not against Zahid, although it would seem that will be the matchup. 

6- Music is awesome IMO. Especially during the warmup time for the medal round. 

7- Not in my experience, other than the obvious commercial break. I actually found it to be overstimulating at times. Theres always someone you want to watch out there no matter what round youre in. 

8- N/A for my one experience.

9- Everyone I sat by last year for the finals were very friendly regardless of what shirts we were wearing. I was pretty close to a lot of finalists parents/fam, so that was cool. 

10- Watching Snyder get his last NCAA Chip. The whole experience was awesome. Mike Mach getting his as well was very cool. Actually met him in Raleigh a few months later and he is an incredibly genuine dude. Noticed I was wearing a USA wrestling shirt and talked to me and my Finance for like 20 min in their training facility lol. 

NCAAs is the best sporting event I have ever been to. By far.

20 hours ago, JC said:

1. Finals, but the Friday Night Bloodround is probably the loudest, most anticipated round

2. Nickal pinning Myles Martin. Kyle Conel pinning Moore also stands out compared to other pre finals roars 

3. Rarely buy anything in the arena. Prefer to eat beforehand to avoid the concession prices

4. None

5. Mark Hall this year. Stieber in 2013 because I wanted to see Ramos win the title.

6. No problems with the music. Not at all overbearing 

7. You'll find lulls, especially if emotionally invested in a team. There's always something to watch though and some moment is always right around the corner 

8. Have always been able to see every mat. Jumbotron typically has the TV coverage of one of the mats playing 

9. Have typically been around people there with tickets from the team allotment, but sitting behind Rutgers this year was actually a lot of fun. No issues with any of them and enjoyed their passion

10. Kasper falling to Snyder in the 2018 semifinals. Was in his home region and after losing over ten pounds due to an inflammatory bowel flare up, watching that loss when the match was quite close for a period was heartbreaking

21 hours ago, mlbruem said:

1. Most exciting - Semifinals followed closely by quarterfinals

Most exciting session, by far.  But for me, the best wrestling is not on the center mats.  The round of 12 is the best action in the whole tournament.  One match determines if a guy is an All-American or not.  The intensity is off the charts.  I love the round of 12!

3 hours ago, iGranby said:

NCAAs is the best sporting event I have ever been to. By far.

iGranby: that statement right there just makes me wonder, WHAT I must be missing! I am already a fan, but now I feel like I have GOT to make it to a championship.

If all of you with Presidential-type connections can help bring this thing (D1 Championships) down south, just once even (Nashville, Atlanta, Charlotte, etc.), the folks down here and around here might just start marching in the streets to get one or two or more D1 programs started around here somewhere.

The replies have been great. Thanks to all of you!

Hanging out with thousands of fans that love the sport of wrestling as much as I do.

I have had great times meeting people from everywhere who root for all different teams.

I have not seen anyone come to fist to cuffs, constant banter absolutely. Huge grins and loud laughs... all day long.

41 minutes ago, JC said:

iGranby: that statement right there just makes me wonder, WHAT I must be missing! I am already a fan, but now I feel like I have GOT to make it to a championship.

If all of you with Presidential-type connections can help bring this thing (D1 Championships) down south, just once even (Nashville, Atlanta, Charlotte, etc.), the folks down here and around here might just start marching in the streets to get one or two or more D1 programs started around here somewhere.

The replies have been great. Thanks to all of you!

If you're a fan of wrestling there's nothing better.  I've been to countless other "big" sporting events and would still choose NCAA's in Des Moines over pretty much anything else. 

10 minutes ago, Cruiser94 said:

Hanging out with thousands of fans that love the sport of wrestling as much as I do.

I have had great times meeting people from everywhere who root for all different teams.

Really like going to McGillins in Philly and The Triple Crown in NYC for supper before finals.

Packed to the rafters with fans from all over the country .

In Mc Gillins ,a table of guys (for the most part) would stand up,salute their team and do shots.

Some even bought a round for the people around them.