JC

Championship attendees: for we who ain’t never been to one, TELL US:

2 minutes ago, Michigan wrestling said:

My most exciting match was at Auburn Hills, Darrion Caldwell vs. Ryan Lang, (I think quarterfinals) 

A lot of action packed into that 1:40 of wrestling.

1 hour ago, Cruiser94 said:

I have not seen anyone come to fist to cuffs, constant banter absolutely. Huge grins and loud laughs... all day long.

Sitting in the front row or NC State's section this year, right behind PSU's section....the first session, PSU fans made it known that they were going to stand and cheer for every PSU takedown/backpoints.  I didn't have a problem with this....slightly annoying making it difficult to watch other matches, but glad that there are passionate fans out there.  Some others around me grew tired of this very quickly though.  That combined with too many beverages before the session led to some verbally complaining every time and booing PSU any chance they got.  One guy yells PSU SUCKS after a PSU win....lady goes to get an usher to try to get a couple guys removed.  It took fans not involved from the one section over to speak up and talk the usher out of it...still a verbal warning to the rowdy bunch.

Cue the next session and the DeSanto/RBY match. I did not catch the beginning of it, and it was loud with the PSU faithful booing the end of the match....but I look over and some big, bulky dude got out of his seat and walked back a couple rows to get in these same guys' faces.  Didn't escalate to blows, but tempers were raised.  His wife/girlfriend was holding him back, trying to calm him down.....Cooler heads prevailed after, and smooth sailing the rest of the tournament.

Aside from this, everyone does get along regardless of favorite teams/wrestlers.  You can be sitting next to a guy who is passionate about McKenna/Ohio State while you root for Nick Lee/PSU, and everyone gets along just fine.

On 3/28/2019 at 11:39 AM, JC said:

you may answer ALL or some, or even just one.

1.    Which moment is more exciting, for you? The start of the tournament, OR the start of the Finals?

THE BEGINNING OF THE SEMIS IS THE BEST. 

2.    For what was the LOUDEST applause or reaction that YOU have ever heard?

BUBBA JENKINS PINNING DAVID TAYLOR OR CALDWELL BEATING METCALF SEEMES LIKE THE LOUDEST.

[for example; a PSU wrestler winning, or an OSU (either OSU) wrestler winning (and so on), or a Dake 4th title, etc., etc. Name the occasion for the SINGLE LOUDEST applause that you can remember.]

3.    What is the one concession food item that you ALWAYS buy and eat?

CREEPY

4.    What is the one high-priced food item that you really do want but hate to purchase?

HOUSES

5.    If you’re willing to tell, has there ever been an undefeated top seed that you WANTED to see lose? But provided that he was not wrestling the wrestler for YOUR team.

ANY OF THEM

6.    What is the music like? Is it loud and overbearing like at a football game (domed stadium game)? Or is it real good and actually ADDS to the overall atmosphere?

ITS GOOD. I DONT THINK FOOTBALL GAMES HAVE OVERBEARING MUSIC.

7.    Excluding all consolation rounds, do you ever feel any LULLS in the action?

I SOMETINES DONT GO TO SATURDAY MORNING

8.    You who sit up high, how well can you see the action on the floor? Are there TV monitors that you look at?

GIANT SCREENS AT STADIUMS

9.    What was the most pleasant conversation that you ever had with a stranger sitting next to you or nearby? On the contrary, you ever get close to fisticuffs with somebody sitting nearby? Or witness such?

NOT AS SENTIMENTAL AS OTHERS

10. Can you describe any moment that brought you to tears, or near tears?

Thank you. I (perhaps we) look forward to reading your responses.

WATCHING MY GRANDPA DIE 

Sat in a section at last years finals witha bunch of Penn St fans. Gave a friendly hello to the elderly guy sitting next to me and that was about it, until.... The murderer’s  row of PSU hit the mat, then the guy started elbowing me, stepping on my foot, leaning on me. He apologized, said he was a big PSU fan and was just acting out how he would react to their opponents moves. I laughed and told him no problem, keep it up!

Sat in a section at last years finals witha bunch of Penn St fans. Gave a friendly hello to the elderly guy sitting next to me and that was about it, until.... The murderer’s  row of PSU hit the mat, then the guy started elbowing me, stepping on my foot, leaning on me. He apologized, said he was a big PSU fan and was just acting out how he would react to their opponents moves. I laughed and told him no problem, keep it up!

1.    Which moment is more exciting, for you? The start of the tournament, OR the start of the Finals?

Close call, but I'll go with the finals. Start of the tournament definitely has a unique feel to it too.

2.    For what was the LOUDEST applause or reaction that YOU have ever heard?

[for example; a PSU wrestler winning, or an OSU (either OSU) wrestler winning (and so on), or a Dake 4th title, etc., etc. Name the occasion for the SINGLE LOUDEST applause that you can remember.]

Man, there's a BUNCH that come to mind. But for single loudest applause/reaction, I'll go with Bo sticking Martin in the finals last year. (I've changed my answer to this 3 times before hitting submit)

3.    What is the one concession food item that you ALWAYS buy and eat?

I try to wait to eat until between sessions, but if I do eat at the arena, usually chicken fingers.

4.    What is the one high-priced food item that you really do want but hate to purchase?

They're all overpriced.

5.    If you’re willing to tell, has there ever been an undefeated top seed that you WANTED to see lose? But provided that he was not wrestling the wrestler for YOUR team.

Not particularly. One of the guys in our group is an Iowa fan, so it was fun to give him crap about Marinelli the rest of the weekend, but I wasn't necessarily hoping it would happen.

6.    What is the music like? Is it loud and overbearing like at a football game (domed stadium game)? Or is it real good and actually ADDS to the overall atmosphere?

Not really as issue. They really only play it before each sessions and during breaks.

7.    Excluding all consolation rounds, do you ever feel any LULLS in the action?

At times yes, but when you get top level wrestling, you get a lot of 3-2 matches. But there's almost always someone on the mat to root for, whether it's someone from your team, your state, your fantasy team, someone with a feel good story, etc.

8.    You who sit up high, how well can you see the action on the floor? Are there TV monitors that you look at?

Sat in the very last row of the upper bowl this year, no problem seeing the action. And yes, there are TV monitors along with the big scoreboard.

9.    What was the most pleasant conversation that you ever had with a stranger sitting next to you or nearby? On the contrary, you ever get close to fisticuffs with somebody sitting nearby? Or witness such?

Last year in Cleveland, we sat right in front of a suite with the Abounader family and sweet talked our way into the suite. Pretty cool being with them when Dominic won his quarters match to AA. Actually, almost every conversation I've had at nationals has been pleasant, wrestling people are pretty cool in general. In 6 years, the only "bad" interaction I've had was in between sessions when my buddy (feeling good at the time) was talking trash to a college foe. We were able to de-escalate the situation pretty quickly.

10. Can you describe any moment that brought you to tears, or near tears?

Not tears, but as a Mizzou fan (and maybe for any fan in general), Miklus hugging the Mizzou fans after his blood round win this year was definitely a touching moment.

Thank you. I (perhaps we) look forward to reading your responses.

I don't care for it as much, because some of the guys let off the gas slightly. This might be mostly because of injury, team standings, relief over All American (3rd is better than 8th, but it's remembered as one thing), etc.

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 11:39 AM, JC said:

you may answer ALL or some, or even just one.

1) The start of the finals is pretty crazy.  ESPN and the ring announcers do a good job of getting the crowd hyped up; when they go live the arena is simply electric.

2) Loudest moments: Ness taking Dennis to his back in the last 5 seconds, Martin tossing Nickal at MSG, Jenkins sticking Taylor (although I was in the bathroom for this one, thinking Taylor was simply going to major or tech Jenkins). 

8) In Philly, we sat in the very, very last row- our backs were resting on the arena wall.  Not recommended, as we were just too far away. 

9) Good vibes and good conversations were kind of a staple of the weekend.  We all have our favorites and we all love to root against certain teams and people, but we're all fans of the same sport.  I imagine the same sort of comradery exists at certain comic and film events/conventions. 

10) Tears? No.  But plenty of goose bumps.  Matt Miller receiving a standing O for AAing as a Naval Academy senior was close.  So was the Tomasello-Terao consolation match in Cleveland, which was like a fireworks display.  And of course Robles winning his title, but that kind of goes without saying. 

Edited by Mr. Peepers

Agree with quarters and semis being the best wrestling.

I had my share of IC (Iron City) Light at Pittsburgh.

With the angle of the seating, the seats up high were good.  We were section 203 (I think), right in the middle and 1/2 up the upper deck

Edited by buf87

1.    Which moment is more exciting, for you? The start of the tournament, OR the start of the Finals?

Of the two choices given... Start of Finals.  In past years, I would have gone with 'start of tournament' but the seeding to 33 took away many of the opening round match-ups that the random draw presented.

If I had my choice:  Start of Session IV (Semi-Finals & R12 matches) - Dog Bone mat configuration.  You've got guys going for the Finals in the middle; and guys going for AA on the outer mats.  Typically, the team race hinges on this session as well.  THIS IS THE BEST FOUR HOURS OF WRESTLING ANYWHERE.

2.    For what was the LOUDEST applause or reaction that YOU have ever heard?

Mine isn't tied to a SINGLE match, but rather a combination of matches this year.  QFs at 165, Cenzo scores a TD in SV against White which obviously has the PSU faithful roaring; immediately after Cenzo's TD, Lewis scores the winning TD against Marinelli.  The timing was perfect, as PSU fans were already on their feet from Cenzo's win, then switched their attention to the Lewis-Marinelli match just in time to see the TD - taking an already loud roar to another level.  

3.    What is the one concession food item that you ALWAYS buy and eat?

Twizzlers and a Diet Coke - every year, every session.  

4.    What is the one high-priced food item that you really do want but hate to purchase?

Don't usually buy anything but my Twizzlers & Diet Coke, because I don't want to be ripped off for a $12.00 arena cheeseburger.     

5.    If you’re willing to tell, has there ever been an undefeated top seed that you WANTED to see lose? But provided that he was not wrestling the wrestler for YOUR team.

David Taylor his FR year.  Never liked how the whole Bubba thing went down at PSU.    

6.    What is the music like? Is it loud and overbearing like at a football game (domed stadium game)? Or is it real good and actually ADDS to the overall atmosphere?

Never really pay attention to the music being played in the arena.  

7.    Excluding all consolation rounds, do you ever feel any LULLS in the action?

Not really.  If pressed, I'd say during the QFs and SFs when they hold matches to keep the weights together.  If there is ONE straggler match, that very few fans are into, you can sense an overall LULL in the arena.

8.    You who sit up high, how well can you see the action on the floor? Are there TV monitors that you look at?

Been to 17 tourneys and I've done both upper & lower levels.  Back before seats/tickets became difficult, I usually got lower level because I was buying a single ticket.  I've done upper level for a couple of tourneys (2004, St Louis; and 2007 Auburn Hills) & could still see well (bring binoculars for sure).  2004 was fun because I sat right in front of Phillip Simpson's family when when earned his second AA in a brutal 157 bracket.  However, I definitely prefer being lower level in the middle. Who wouldn't?  Fortunately, I am in a position where I can afford to buy seats in my desired location.

9.    What was the most pleasant conversation that you ever had with a stranger sitting next to you or nearby? On the contrary, you ever get close to fisticuffs with somebody sitting nearby? Or witness such?

Most Pleasant:  Sitting next to Show_Me in 2016 (Madison Square Garden) and putting a face to the name .  We have since exchanged PMs on this forum and the WR forum.

Close to Fisticuffs:  I sat behind Thomas Gilman's family and GF when he got pinned by Zeke Moisey in 2015 (St Louis).  Friends of the family turned around to tell me Gilman's GF was sitting right in front of me - to which I responded, "I don't care", and continued to stand and cheer Moisey's accomplishment.  I made it a point to actively cheer for Gilman's opponent for the remainder of the tourney.

Never had tears.  However, I always have a soft spot for the feel good stories.  e.g., guys who have always come close & finally break through to make AA.  Recent examples would be: Ryan Preisch of Lehigh (4x qualifier, 2x R12, 4th this year); and George DiCamillo of Virginia (3x R12, 2nd in 2017).

Edited by lu_alum

On 3/30/2019 at 4:51 PM, lu_alum said:

ars, or near tears?

Never had tears.  However, I always have a soft spot for the feel good stories.  e.g., guys who have always come close & finally break through to make AA.  Recent examples would be: Ryan Preisch of Lehigh (4x qualifier, 2x R12, 4th this year); and George DiCamillo of Virginia (3x R12, 2nd in 2017).

haze

I hesitate to ask, for fear of losing my posting privileges. But,

What exactly is the Round of 12? Is this what some call the Blood Round?

I think I know. But just in case I don’t. Thanks!

J

14 minutes ago, JC said:

I hesitate to ask, for fear of losing my posting privileges. But,

What exactly is the Round of 12? Is this what some call the Blood Round?

I think I know. But just in case I don’t. Thanks!

J

Correct, 12 wrestlers are still alive, the four semi-finalists and 8 in the consi's (the blood round)

Edited by gromit

1.    Which moment is more exciting, for you? The start of the tournament, OR the start of the Finals?
Start of the tournament

2.    For what was the LOUDEST applause or reaction that YOU have ever heard?
Caldwell over Metcalf and Perry over Hendricks

3.    What is the one concession food item that you ALWAYS buy and eat?
N/A, guys like me have food delivered

4.    What is the one high-priced food item that you really do want but hate to purchase?
See #3

5.    If you’re willing to tell, has there ever been an undefeated top seed that you WANTED to see lose? But provided that he was not wrestling the wrestler for YOUR team.
Nope

6.    What is the music like? Is it loud and overbearing like at a football game (domed stadium game)? Or is it real good and actually ADDS to the overall atmosphere?
I can't hear any more

7.    Excluding all consolation rounds, do you ever feel any LULLS in the action?
The first round can be kinda boring

8.    You who sit up high, how well can you see the action on the floor? Are there TV monitors that you look at?
Ha... I don't sit up high

9.    What was the most pleasant conversation that you ever had with a stranger sitting next to you or nearby? On the contrary, you ever get close to fisticuffs with somebody sitting nearby? Or witness such?
I told Cael once to get out of my seat and he obliged. I also told Billy Baldwin he's my least favorite Baldwin.

I don't cry