Jimmy Cinnabon

What was the Iowa fanbase's reaction to getting 4th this year?

Based on the Iowa wrestling forums, some are really pissed, but others see 6 AAs + Kem coming back and know what Iowa might be able to do next season. Plus they underperformed - it is reasonable for 149, 165 (especially), and 197 AAs to score way more points next year. 

This is the first time since maybe 2014 that Iowa has such a stacked lineup. 

This season lived and died with Spencer Lee, and to a lesser extent, Alex Marenelli. 

The fanbase is generally very happy for Spencer and very optimistic about next year. Had Spencer lost, the entire season would have been considered a waste and feelings for next year would be pessimistic

14 minutes ago, sstark46 said:

This season lived and died with Spencer Lee, and to a lesser extent, Alex Marenelli. 

The fanbase is generally very happy for Spencer and very optimistic about next year. Had Spencer lost, the entire season would have been considered a waste and feelings for next year would be pessimistic

I would say Desanto had a great season.  He is a potential finalist next season.

I think it's mostly neutral. They mostly over-performed. 165 hurt, but that's mostly a bracket thing with Marinelli losing to the champ and 3rd place finisher, who avenged his only loss of the tournament for 3rd. I would strongly bet he makes the finals from the 2 with Joseph's path (he had comfortable wins over Joseph's quarter and semi opponents that I don't think would have flipped).

125 3 seed, champ - over-performed

133 7 seed, 5th - over-performed

141 22 seed, R12 - over-performed

149 10 seed, 8th - over-performed

157 6 seed, 5th - over-performed

165 1 seed, 7th - under-performed, but not as bad after closer examination

184 12 seed, R16 - neutral, the victim of a R2 upset of Parker, only lost to 4th and 5th seeds. Actually wrestled pretty well. He had Dean beat, gave up a pretty bad stalling point (out-shot Dean something like 10-2 I think).

197 5 seed, 7th - under-performed

285 29 seed, R12 - over-performed

Part of the reaction is that this season never felt right for the hawks, very similar to Ok State last year. There was never a moment where the team felt at full strength or firing on all cylinders. Even in their over-performance at NCAAs, they left a bunch of matches out there they could have won which gives some hope for the future. Outside of Lee, there isn't a single guy in their lineup that feels close to their peak with this performance. And even some hawk fans think Lee can improve on this performance (that's not a reasonable expectation imo when all of the contenders are focused exclusively on figuring you out). It's also a very young team: 2 freshman, 4 sophomores, 2 Juniors, and 1 senior. Two of those sophomores are true sophomore too, so almost half of their lineup is only 2 years out of high school. They'll get Kemerer back and add a more dynamic young heavyweight in Cassioppi.

There's a lot for hawkeye fans to be hopeful about, but their patience is certainly wearing thin. As frustrating as the season was, I think they came out of it better than they entered. Spencer is still Spencer. Desanto went from a fringe AA to a legit finalist contender going forward. Tons of improvement in his wrestling and I think he'll be significantly improved next year as he develops into a more complete product. Kaleb Young emerged as a legit finalist/possible title contender next year at 157, and I don't think he even realized he was good until NCAAs. Marinelli proved his Joseph win wasn't a fluke and that he can compete with him. They have good reason to feel good about next year.

Edited by qc8223

2 minutes ago, justafan said:

Wait until next year is what they've been saying for 9 years and it will continue until they win and then they will say told you so

You could say this about any title contending sports program.

20 minutes ago, BobDole said:

HAHA Hawkeye Report gets a lil crazy! I think its pretty neutral though. A couple losses like Bull and really Stolls entire season culminating in no AA were upsetting, but Spencer Lee winning in the fashion he did is enough to make you feel better. I think I walked away a little upset but excited about the future. 

There is just so much Iowa hate on these boards it is comical! I have not seen one person say that Nolf cheated, the whole GD board is saying he was bailed out by the refs (and he was), not just Iowa fans. And Cassar DOES look like he could be on roids, the dude is jacked but deserved to win his title.  I love how all of the Iowa haters get on the Iowa message boards to see what all Iowa fans are saying.  Why do you care?!?!

As far as this Iowa fan, it was a frustrating year from the get go with Kem being hurt.  Not because I thought we had a shot at the team title but I really wanted to see how he could do up two weights.  Lee kind of under-preformed all year against top competition until NCAAs and then did what Lee does, win championships.  The Bull was great all year until NCAAs.  Of course that one stings a little but other than that, all of our guys wrestled well at nationals and we did leave a lot of points out there.  You can only assume that will get better as the wrestlers get older.  I think if you actually talk to most Iowa fans (not the ones who come on these boards) they were pretty happy with the results at NCAAs.

Iowa haters gonna hate I guess but for people who hate us, you guys and gals sure do spend a lot of time wondering what Hawkeye fans think.

1 hour ago, BobDole said:

You forgot the slush fund payments to wrestlers at camps and with their student loans. Now they even tried to get a steroids narrative off the ground. Lol. 

This stuff never gets old. 

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

You forgot the slush fund payments to wrestlers at camps and with their student loans. Now they even tried to get a steroids narrative off the ground. Lol. 

This stuff never gets old. 

You don't really believe the majority of Iowa fans feel that way do you? The loudest ones certainly do, but they are definitely the minority.

2 hours ago, KCMO2 said:

So did Lee over perform, or did Rivera under perform with his semi loss?  I'd say Rivera under performed and Lee had an easier opponent in the finals.

Not an either/or. Lee certainly over-performed, majoring a tough Fausz, pinning Russell, and avenging his loss to Piccininni, before blanking Mueller. Rivera certainly under-performed by getting shellacked by Mueller. That said, I think Lee would have beaten Rivera. He had the Big Tens match won and he looked much better at NCAAs than he did at Big Tens imo. We'll never know though.

21 hours ago, ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying said:

"potential" yeah. But all four guys who finished ahead of him are coming back next year plus Bravo-Young, Phillippi, WIlson, and Gomez. He's a potential finalist but also could potentially not AA. 

He had a win over the champ, so he definitely has a chance.