moveurfeet32

Biggest dropoff in NCAA History?

Coaching isn't just about recruiting and developing. It is about energy and enthusiasm, as well as a slew of other things.

They lost the most energetic and enthusiastic coach in the big leagues. Couple that with Gross sitting, which isn't a morale booster. That isn't even taking into account the rumors which started swirling about him waiting it out so he could transfer for next season?

When a kid does that he doesn't just say the new coaching staff isn't up to snuff for me, it is also saying the current teammates and the school in itself isn't good enough.

As unfortunate as that is, whether true or not I guarantee you they were words thought by many of the people tied directly to Bono, to Gross, and to the program as a whole.

I disagree, couple Gross being hurt and the graduation of 3 seniors 2 of which were AAs and a qualifier, (also more seniors but weren’t qualifiers), Mueller got hurt early this year and wasn’t the same, Pohlmeyer is a scrapper and is up a weight from last year. Also with Brown transferring to Wisconsin to me this is the kind of season I expected especially with the turnover in the staff.

Bono and company really didn’t do the program any favors.(I’m not going to get further into it maybe some of what’s going on will come to light at some point.). I for one am fully behind Hahn and staff and look forward to next year when Redshirt freshman Sloan enters the lineup (who teched Warner from Iowa) along with the other good crop of recruits coming in.

Did they slip a lot? absolutely. Was it expected? I don’t think any reasonable wrestling fan expected them to be able to reload right off the bat. But they will be better starting next year.

Go Jacks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, 4awrestler said:

I disagree, couple Gross being hurt and the graduation of 3 seniors 2 of which were AAs and a qualifier, (also more seniors but weren’t qualifiers), Mueller got hurt early this year and wasn’t the same, Pohlmeyer is a scrapper and is up a weight from last year. Also with Brown transferring to Wisconsin to me this is the kind of season I expected especially with the turnover in the staff.

Bono and company really didn’t do the program any favors.(I’m not going to get further into it maybe some of what’s going on will come to light at some point.). I for one am fully behind Hahn and staff and look forward to next year when Redshirt freshman Sloan enters the lineup (who teched Warner from Iowa) along with the other good crop of recruits coming in.

Did they slip a lot? absolutely. Was it expected? I don’t think any reasonable wrestling fan expected them to be able to reload right off the bat. But they will be better starting next year.

Go Jacks

Bono didn't do the program any favors?  They had one winning season in D1 before he got there.  They were not relevant.

6 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Bono didn't do the program any favors?  They had one winning season in D1 before he got there.  They were not relevant.

He meant with his departure and the sequence of events that have happened during and since. Not while he was there providing proper and full effort as a member of the SDSU family.

Tad disingenuous considering a new HC just came in.  Add in Gross not wrestling and you will almost always see a major drop off in the 1st year.  Hell, it even happens at the major universities.  Dresser came in, a bunch of kids left and they stunk the 1st year.  He was just named COTY the following year.

Give Hahn some time and he will move them up quickly.  He only started 3 upperclassmen this season.  Sloan comes out of RS and should be a force at 197.  Alex Lloyd could be something if they can get him on the mat.  Guys like Z. Carlson and Pohlmeyer are top 20.  C. Carlson and Price should do well coming off RS.

21 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

He meant with his departure and the sequence of events that have happened during and since. Not while he was there providing proper and full effort as a member of the SDSU family.

Did he tell you that?

I was more talking about the way he left, constantly turning the screws to the AD threatening to leave if not paid more, tampering with athletes after he had accepted the Wisconsin job. Along with other “shady” things again I say SDSU is much better off with Hahn than they were with Bono, give it a couple years but I already see next season as vast improvement.

I will give credit where it’s due, Bono resurrected a program and got a lot out of his guys but I think most would prefer he went about it in a different matter.

2 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

Ok St scored 103 in 2017 and 37.5 in 2018. 

Bounced back nicely this year. 

2018 was the lost shocking team performance in awhile. Preseason they had an insane lineup. 9 guys were serious AA threats. They had 8 AAs the year before, 6 were returning plus they had other solid guys. Then...

1. Joe Smith redshirted

2. Weigel was injured and way underperformed becuase of it

3. While they won 4 matches in the blood round, 3 of those guys placed 8th, 1 placed 5th

4. No finalists

5. Returning 2 time champ and 3 time AA lost in the Blood round. He wasn’t having the best season and the loss to Yianni in hindsight makes sense, but getting pinned by chad red in th 1st period of the r12? 

6. Derek White didn’t AA

7. Returning 4th placer Piccininni didn’t AA. He had one of the worst draws of the tournament. He was the 6th seed,  pinned Piotrowski, best returning AA Russell, lost to Spencer Lee in the quarters and then somehow ended up against Lizak. He lost to the champion and 4th placer, eliminating him from the tournament. 

Everything that could’ve gone wrong, did. It was pretty crazy to watch. 

Damion Hahn has a great resume and I have to believe he was a big part of the success at Cornell....he's been with Jay Robinson and Rob Koll....I have to believe he will do great things with the Jack Rabbits.