BigTenFanboy

How many calls should be overturned by video review?

So I see on Flo and message boards all over the place and social media with people complaining about the video review process and how the review should be conducted by a 3rd party offcial. One thing I read often is how so few reviews get overturned. I read somewhere about 20% of reviewed calls got overturned at NCAAs. With that said what percentage of reviewed calls should be overturned to make people happy? Are the refs so terribly, horribly bad that they cant see what's right in front of them? This sport has been around for a long long time and only recently has the video review system been in place. What did we ever do before it came about? 

Heres another question. Since we all are watching matches from a screen, clearly we must all have a better view of what's taking place down on the mat since we are able to see all the "blown" calls these refs make. Should refs officiate matches from the score table watching the match via video screen instead? Or how about in a sound proof room so they dont get influenced by the crowd. We certainly have the technology now to do it this way.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Only the wrong calls. I saw FRL say a certain percentage was too low, but that does not seem right to me. You can't place a percentage on it and claim that percentage to be the correct percentage because that isn't based on whether the calls were correct or not correct, but rather just a target percentage. 

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

Only the wrong calls. I saw FRL say a certain percentage was too low, but that does not seem right to me. You can't place a percentage on it and claim that percentage to be the correct percentage because that isn't based on whether the calls were correct or not correct, but rather just a target percentage. 

Agree.  They seems surprised that half of official reviews were overturned but that makes sense, if they’re calling the review themselves they’re probably not sure the initial call was correct.   

I’m sure there is a bit of the refs want to stand by their calls when the coaches challenge them, but between desparation challenges (Fix HTF), challenges to get your guy a breather, and challenges just because you have one left, it’s probably something like 50% of coaches challenges even have a shot.  So if maybe 50% of those get overturned, I’d say 25% is probably a realistic number if I had to put a number on coaches challenges

Edited by 1032004

You just can't have the official on the mat judging his own review. Being able to hear the refs discussion was pretty eye opening to me. I hear a ref more or less defending why he called it a certain way and finish by saying, "you good with that?". That is so dumb I can't even understand it. If they are defending their position and using their bias as part of the review process of course they aren't going to overturn it. If they think they made a mistake and defend that position, of course they are! Its just a waste of time at this point.

I wasn't able to watch as much of NCAAs this year as in the past. What I did notice though was the lack of explanation from the referees whether they reverse the call or not. Perhaps if they explained why the call is confirmed or changed it would appease people. Also, in NCAA wrestling do they use the same terminology as the NFL? For example, in the NFL I know they say "stands" if they might have been lacking certain angles. When it comes to these challenges and percentages we have to remember that sometimes these coaches throw the brick in desperation, because what do they have to lose?

13 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

This is not a percentage of how many reviewed calls should be overturned.

Nor was it intended to be. 

You wrote, " This sport has been around for a long long time and only recently has the video review system been in place. What did we ever do before it came about? "

I commented, "The technology drives "the review."

13 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Heres another question. Since we all are watching matches from a screen, clearly we must all have a better view of what's taking place down on the mat since we are able to see all the "blown" calls these refs make. Should refs officiate matches from the score table watching the match via video screen instead? Or how about in a sound proof room so they dont get influenced by the crowd. We certainly have the technology now to do it this way.

I have solid inside-scoop that this has been placed on the agenda for the next NCAA/Referee rules and procedures meeting. 

Seems many refs think it would be good if a couple of well-qualified former or retired high-level refs were in an isolated room viewing the video from various angles and making a judgement on the mat referee’s calls and coaches protests. 

I like the idea!

39 minutes ago, Old Corps said:

I have solid inside-scoop that this has been placed on the agenda for the next NCAA/Referee rules and procedures meeting. 

Seems many refs think it would be good if a couple of well-qualified former or retired high-level refs were in an isolated room viewing the video from various angles and making a judgement on the mat referee’s calls and coaches protests. 

I like the idea!

Im not even talking about reviews. I'm talking about officiating the match as a whole. 

Put the refs in a sound proof booth with a video feed from multiple angles. 

This way there's no influence from coaches or fans screaming at the ref during matches.

The refs will be more inclined to make calls without fearing backlash from those physically mat side or in attendance.

The other thing you wont see any longer is refs butts blocking the camera angle.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

1 minute ago, 10point said:

refs aren't going to make themselves look bad and change their call.. it should be a third ref call over to make decision

So what percentage of challenged calls should be overturned? It was stated that it was 21% on flo. What would be a more appropriate percentage?

13 minutes ago, pamela said:

Weird question, implies that there should be imposed limits on the # of overturned calls. Video reviews are dumb, anyway.

I'm more responding to Flo's analysis of how few reviewed calls get overturned. A point of emphasis was how only 21% of challenged calls were overturned implying that it wasn't enough.

When someone complains saying "Only 20% of challenged calls were over turned," its insinuating that more than 80% of those challenged calls were very very wrong.

Just now, BigTenFanboy said:

I'm more responding to Flo's analysis of how few reviewed calls get overturned. A point of emphasis was how only 21% of challenged calls were overturned implying that it wasn't enough.

When someone complains saying "Only 20% of challenged calls were over turned," its insinuating that more than 80% of those challenged calls were very very wrong.

Flo's commentary was completely disjointed. At the same time Pyles is complaining that only 21% of calls were over turned Nomad is stating the officials were using the self review process as a way to correct their own missed calls. Wat? Can't have the one both ways guys. 

4 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Im not even talking about reviews. I'm talking about officiating the match as a whole. 

This way there's no influence from coaches or fans screaming at the ref during matches.

The refs will be more inclined to make calls without fearing backlash from those physically mat side or in attendance.

The other thing you wont see any longer is refs butts blocking the camera angle.

who is going to physcially stop flying kimura's if there is no ref on the mat?

4 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

So what percentage of challenged calls should be overturned? It was stated that it was 21% on flo. What would be a more appropriate percentage?

i told you. every call that is wrong.

especially the obvious wrong ones.

5 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

I can’t agree with you on this idea. 

I think there’s a need for a ref to be on the mat with the wrestlers.