lu_alum

Conference Strength

Typically a lot of discussion on the subject, with stats such as number of AQs and AAs being tossed about.  Here's a look at NCAA results, factoring in the number of teams in each respective conference.

1b675307e799b3a6dd065d488ea7bdf8.jpg

Edited by lu_alum

We all know the Big 10 is the toughest conference but that has to do with investment into those programs.  I can't think of an ACC or EIWA program that gets the investment an Iowa, or PSU or Michigan or Minnesota get from their school and athletic department.

We all know the Big 10 is the toughest conference but that has to do with investment into those programs.  I can't think of an ACC or EIWA program that gets the investment an Iowa, or PSU or Michigan or Minnesota get from their school and athletic department.

Lehigh is fully funded, just built a dedicated facility within the past few years, and is probably the #1 sport on campus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Nice work on the table, but EIWA is not the 6th strongest conference.  For me, EIWA would be 2nd or 3rd.

Pure statistics not opinion or rating. Percentage of starters that made AA. So yes the EIWA would indicate they placed 6th.

2 hours ago, lu_alum said:

Lehigh is fully funded, just built a dedicated facility within the past few years, and is probably the #1 sport on campus.

How much investment from the school compared to donors?

I'm thinking lehigh needs to still dump fundraising $ into their NCAA program instead 100% into their RTC.

Some of the Big 10 schools don't have that problem and I'm not busting on Lehigh here but if they had the same amount of funding (2-3 mill annually) then their results would be considered lackluster for the investment.

1 minute ago, Boompa said:

How much investment from the school compared to donors?

I'm thinking lehigh needs to still dump fundraising $ into their NCAA program instead 100% into their RTC.

Some of the Big 10 schools don't have that problem and I'm not busting on Lehigh here but if they had the same amount of funding (2-3 mill annually) then their results would be considered lackluster for the investment.

Lehigh's NCAA program is fully endowed - coaches & athletes.  Wrestling facility was fully financed through private donations.

2 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:
Nice work on the table, but EIWA is not the 6th strongest conference.  For me, EIWA would be 2nd or 3rd.

As a Lehigh alum, I’m a big EIWA fan. However, beyond the top three, the conference is really weak. Even Army, with their 10 EIWA podium place winners, only had 3 place in the top four.
6b54d6f17be624a13b5c568e6556c5ae.jpg

Edited by lu_alum

Lehigh's NCAA program is fully endowed - coaches & athletes.  Wrestling facility was fully financed through private donations.

Well that explains why Lehigh cannot maintain a top 10 program.  Sounds like a wealthier Bucknell or Franklin and Marshall with redshirt options and arguably easier admissions for non engineering students.

Not even close to PSU, Iowa, tOSU and Michigan and they have even easier admissions.  Have you seen tOSU's new 48 million wrestling facility yet?

Edited by Boompa

Well that explains why Lehigh cannot maintain a top 10 program.  Sounds like a wealthier Bucknell or Franklin and Marshall with redshirt options and arguably easier admissions for non engineering students.

Not even close to PSU, Iowa, tOSU and Michigan and they have even easier admissions.  Have you seen tOSU's new 48 million wrestling facility yet?

Are you a PSU fan or really that stupid? Is there a difference?

5 hours ago, lu_alum said:

As a Lehigh alum, I’m a big EIWA fan. However, beyond the top three, the conference is really weak. Even Army, with their 10 EIWA podium place winners, only had 3 place in the top four.
6b54d6f17be624a13b5c568e6556c5ae.jpg

EIWA is weaker than the new MAC/EWL precisely and exactly because we have one more team, Possibly the only team in the country with no AA ever. and the only team to win no bouts in the conference tournament. by the way,  didn't we use to count 12 places, for qualification, for reason )Admittedly I don't know how many 9-12ers each conference has.

Are you a PSU fan or really that stupid? Is there a difference?

Read carefully.  I said the Big 10 has easier admissions than Lehigh and Lehigh has easier admissions than many EIWA programs (but admittedly not easier than most Cornell wrestlers).

I'm not being critical of Lehigh, I'm stating that conferences like the ACC and EIWA don't have Big 10 resources.

You do understand for Lehigh to be fully endowed and have PSU's annual budget, they would need about 90 million.

9 hours ago, RichB said:

EIWA is weaker than the new MAC/EWL precisely and exactly because we have one more team, Possibly the only team in the country with no AA ever. and the only team to win no bouts in the conference tournament. by the way,  didn't we use to count 12 places, for qualification, for reason )Admittedly I don't know how many 9-12ers each conference has.

What team is that?

edit: nevermind I assume Sacred Heart?

Also, Hofstra didn’t have any qualifiers? Did they get a new coach yet?

Edited by 1032004

9 hours ago, Boompa said:

Read carefully.  I said the Big 10 has easier admissions than Lehigh and Lehigh has easier admissions than many EIWA programs (but admittedly not easier than most Cornell wrestlers).

Yeah, right:  Lehigh is harder to get into than Cornell if you are a wrestler.

"You're a good wrestler, but frankly you don't have the chops to get accepted at Lehigh.  Why don't you try Cornell instead?"

1 hour ago, klehner said:

Yeah, right:  Lehigh is harder to get into than Cornell if you are a wrestler.

"You're a good wrestler, but frankly you don't have the chops to get accepted at Lehigh.  Why don't you try Cornell instead?"

Lehigh requires all wrestlers to be engineering majors.  In fact, I have read that they want to start an all-engineering conference.  Although I have to admit - I wrote those forum posts where I then went back and read that! ;-P

(Isn't it funny how you can make up all kinds of s### on a discussion forum and it then becomes truth?)

15 hours ago, RichB said:

SHU. Obviously if they changed conferences to MAC/EWL it would make the latter stronger and EIWA weaker, yet the "logic" of this post says the opposite.

Sacred Heart has had an AA. 

I think the Big XII had 11 AAs (9.2%)?

• OSU - 5 (Picc, Fix, Geer, Weigel, White)
  • OU - 1 (Demas)
  • ISU - 2 (Degen, Milkus)
  • UNI - 2 (Foster, Steiert)
  • Fresno St - 1 (Hokit)

It looks like the pre-affiliate member Big XII had a stronger outcome by this metric with 8 AAs across 4 teams or 20% (also pre-affiliate Pac-12 had all 5 AAs from its member schools for a 16.7% yield which is interesting).

1 hour ago, pamela said:
I think the Big XII had 11 AAs (9.2%)?
  • OSU - 5 (Picc, Fix, Geer, Weigel, White)
  • OU - 1 (Demas)
  • ISU - 2 (Degen, Milkus)
  • UNI - 2 (Foster, Steiert)
  • Fresno St - 1 (Hokit)
It looks like the pre-affiliate member Big XII had a stronger outcome by this metric with 8 AAs across 4 teams or 20% (also pre-affiliate Pac-12 had all 5 AAs from its member schools for a 16.7% yield which is interesting).

I pulled the AA count from someone else’s post in a different thread. I’ll have to look to see which conferences got too much credit, since my total comes to 80 AAs.

UPDATE: Shift 2 from the MAC to the Big 12. The updated table is below:

b47fd053dfedb705cccc43e9397872f6.jpg

Edited by lu_alum