Sign in to follow this  
VakAttack

Vak's All American Predictions: All Weights Posted

Excuse my possible ignorance, but certain aspects of wrestling I follow very little. However, I thought that the concept of the team title was now gone, being the the national duals are now considered the team championship and people spent pages and pages arguing over it.

Is that so, or is it coming in future years?

Excuse my possible ignorance, but certain aspects of wrestling I follow very little. However, I thought that the concept of the team title was not gone, being the the national duals are now considered the team championship and people spent pages and pages arguing over it.

Is that so, or is it coming in future years?

Not 100% sure, but I think they have the dual national title, and the tourney team title as well. I'd prefer the dual title stand as the national title, with individual titles on the line for the year end nationals, but we've been over this 1k times.

NJ declared itself the best wrestling state? I've never heard of a landmass making proclamations.

I also don't recall any posters proclaiming NJ as the top wrestling state. Perhaps you can provide some evidence of this claim? I do know that NJ is one of the top wrestling states in the country, and the fact that we have the third most national qualifiers would seem that that viewpoint is accurate.

I also know that NJ had 2 national champs last year, 3 the year before that, and I believe multiple the year before that. 5 of the last 20 national champs is pretty solid, right?

Also, all due respect to Vak, but something tells me he hasn't nailed his brackets with 100% accuracy. We'll see how it plays out.

The qualifiers are largely Rutgers gents with at-large bids, correct? If we look to the last few years, as you have to defend NJ's vast talent pool, we probably shouldn't hold anyone on this team to high expectations!

VAK is very good; the anticipation to this thread is second only to the matches themselves. One is the expected number of All-Americans (and a low place at that). How many are you expecting?

I don't see exceptional talent in their high schools right now either. Granted, I rely heavily on the rankings.

I'm a New York guy so I'm not impartial. Still I don't see N.J. as being as gifted and exciting as everyone else does. They are the New York Yankees to many here, but one All-American is the equivalent of the Yankees coming in last place.

I'm most definitely not a sage, just a guy who loves wrestling who filled out his own brackets at NCAA's.

I'm not demanding humility.

In the end, I would like to see how you fare, versus the rankings in general

NJ declared itself the best wrestling state? I've never heard of a landmass making proclamations.

I also don't recall any posters proclaiming NJ as the top wrestling state. Perhaps you can provide some evidence of this claim? I do know that NJ is one of the top wrestling states in the country, and the fact that we have the third most national qualifiers would seem that that viewpoint is accurate.

I also know that NJ had 2 national champs last year, 3 the year before that, and I believe multiple the year before that. 5 of the last 20 national champs is pretty solid, right?

Also, all due respect to Vak, but something tells me he hasn't nailed his brackets with 100% accuracy. We'll see how it plays out.

The qualifiers are largely Rutgers gents with at-large bids, correct? If we look to the last few years, as you have to defend NJ's vast talent pool, we probably shouldn't hold anyone on this team to high expectations!

VAK is very good; the anticipation to this thread is second only to the matches themselves. One is the expected number of All-Americans (and a low place at that). How many are you expecting?

I don't see exceptional talent in their high schools right now either. Granted, I rely heavily on the rankings.

I'm a New York guy so I'm not impartial. Still I don't see N.J. as being as gifted and exciting as everyone else does. They are the New York Yankees to many here, but one All-American is the equivalent of the Yankees coming in last place.

Not sure what your hard on for NJ is all about, but I'll play along. NJ has 21 national qualifiers, so there are far more qualifiers not affiliated with Rutgers, than are RU wrestlers. NJ has the third most qualifiers in the nation, so you can interpret that any way that you'd like. NJ consistently is among the best states in qualifiers, All Americans, and national champs. The best wrestler in America, and possibly the world, is from NJ, and that's not open for debate.

Do I have high expectations for Rutgers wrestlers? Not really, but that's hardly the beginning and end for NJ representation at nationals.

As for talent in NJ, I'd suggest you take the time to watch the state finals that are available at NJ.com. You'll see nationally ranked wrestlers in every weight class, and in many cases two top twenty kids facing off with each other. TheOpenMat has roughly 25-30 kids from NJ nationally ranked, with some kids in other rankings as well. The top HS program in the nation, year after year, is in NJ. We just had a kid from NJ that didn't qualify for our state tournament (top 24 qualify), knock off your state champ. NY had multiple state champs lose to non placers as well.

How do I see this year's performance? Frankly, I only see 3-4 possible All Americans, but you never know. I do know that NJ is superior to NY on a pretty regular basis, and I don't see that changing.

Tell me, how many NJ tourneys have you been to as you developed your opinion on NJ wrestling?

Is NJ the best state in the country for wrestling? No, but it's on the short list. Even master baiters like you realize this deep down.

I'm most definitely not a sage, just a guy who loves wrestling who filled out his own brackets at NCAA's.

I've had a few minor skirmishes with Vak...but day in/day out..his observations and opinions are pretty much spot on. Sage minor.

I've had a few minor skirmishes with Vak...but day in/day out..his observations and opinions are pretty much spot on. Sage minor.

You're just saying that because I picked Maple. ;)

157 lbs:

1. Derek St. John, Iowa

2. Dylan Alton, Penn State

3. Jason Welch, Northwestern

4. Walter Peppelman, Harvard

5. Joey Napoli, Lehigh

6. James Fleming, Clarion

7. James Green, Nebraska

8. Taylor Walsh, Illinois

Semifinals: Dylan Alton vs. James Fleming; Joey Napoli vs. Derek St. John

Round of 12: Green vs. Jesse Dong, Virginia Tech; Welch vs. Alex Dieringer, Oklahoma State; Walsh vs. RJ Pena, Oregon State; Peppelman vs. Josh Demas, Ohio State

Team title implications: Iowa nad Penn State are above. Dieringer of Oklahoma State lost in the Round of 12 to Jason Welch. Danny Zilverberg of Minnesota won his first match, but then lost to Napoli and Kyle Bradley in succession, losing in the second round of consolations.

Dieringer will AA, he has wrestled too good this year not to. Barring injury or other I could easily see him as a 4X AA.

Oh, well then never mind. I didn't realize he had wrestled "too good" to not AA. That never happens to freshmen. Again, he lost to Welch in the Round of 12, who was upset by Alton in the quarterfinals, I hardly have him losing to a bum.

Zilverberg, Napoli, Peppelman, Green all lose first round, If he wrestles his best Dieringer make the semi's the way the bracket sits as we speak.