Sign in to follow this  
Katie

Which college wrestlers would do well in MMA?

48 minutes ago, Katie said:

DeSanto seems to have the personality for it. Not sure about the interest. 

Who else?

IMO...No way.  I've never seen the kid as a brawler.  I see him as a wrestler who wants to win more than anything.  It takes a special kind of person to keep getting hit in the face and coming back.  His 'personality' may actually be detrimental in the MMA.  Like I wrote, just my opinion.  If i knew anything I'd be rich.

JC mentions Suriano.  I can see that way before DeSanto.

Edited by Mphillips

it's really a tough question to answer. ed ruth,  Damian Caldwell,  Gregor Gillespie, lance palmer are all great examples but it just depends. look at cary kolat and Steve mocco. kolat fought once and lost mocco fought and did well but hasnt fought for a while. so it just depends. no doubt that they have the best base to do well. ben askren is a high level bjj guy too. so with his basic striking makes him a hard opponent to deal with

This is an insanely hard question for me, because I'm looking at mentality and body type - and going way too far into it.

I'll pick just three: Ashnault, Suriano, and DeSanto (yes, DeSanto) would likely make for great fighters - and I actually expect them all to pursue it.  All three are tough as hell, and both Ashnault and Suriano appear to have a longer reach than height - a very good thing to have in MMA.  They come ready to fight when there's not even a fight to be had.  They wont back down.  And for those knocking the DeSanto pick - consider this.  He gets amped up for big events.  I've never seen the kid back down.  He absolutely hates losing.  I'm no fan of what he did against Micic in '18, but we went this season with no similar issues.  His "antics" are a whole different story.  Things that in MMA, you draw PPV buys over.  And he's only 2 years out of high school.  He has 2-3 more years of college training and maturing ahead of him, and a couple years of fight training too. 

Cassar is a tossup.  His size puts him in a bind.  He looks to be about 6'0.  That puts him about 3" taller than Conor McGregor, but fighting at either 185 or 265 - both of which he'd likely have significant reach disadvantages. Some have overcome it - Fedor was 6'0, about 235 - just like Cassar - but Fedor is Fedor.  Especially from 2000-2006, he was in a class all to himself.  I think Cassar could have mediocre to moderate success, but nothing elite... whereas he seems like he would be one heck of a coach - particularly strength and conditioning.

I think Mark Hall would be awesome.  I dont know if it is his body style or his quickness, but to me he seems like he would be a natural.  He has that long torso and shorter legs, that gives him a ton of power.

Edited by jeffrideal

Fighters with longer reaches seem to do well. That makes me think of M. Lewis and Zahid.

Also, it appears that Suriano would have no problems transitioning to MMA. He seems tough, strong, and hard working.

Edited by Katie

Personally, I don't think you can tell how well a wrestler will do in MMA,based

on how they did in college.

The type of contact in MMA is very different then wrestling.

There's a scene in the movie "Annapolis" talking about why they box.

The instructor says something to the effect of wanting to see how they react to getting smacked

in the face.

You really need to see how these guys handle getting punched in the face or kicked.

You get a guy down on the ground, and he's still going after you with his 

his fists and feet.

That takes getting used to.

Edited by rpbobcat

My possible guessing they could be good at MMA lineup would be:

125: Glory

133: Suriano or Gomez

141: Red

149: Ashnault

157: Berger

165: Lewis

174: Labriola

184: Foster or Martin

197: Weigel

285: White

The most difficult thing to predict about the transition from wrestling to MMA is if they can take a punch.  They may be a great wrestler but if they have a glass jaw then it's all over and they will never be successful.  

There are a bunch of successful MMA guys who were wrestlers, but not AAs or national champions, right?  Jon Jones is one, I think.

There are also some top wrestlers (Cormier, Askren and Hendricks) who are also at or near the top of MMA. I would think that being a great wrestler makes one more likely to be great at MMA-- just because they are likely to be better athletes and tougher guys. But maybe not.

Austin Gomez - tough scrapper and his habit of putting himself on his back wouldn’t be such a problem

Patrick Brucki - if he can punch half as hard as it looks like he can punch he can decapitate people. Probably not the best way for him to put his Princeton engineering degree to work though.

125-Vito

133-Suriano and Austin Gomez. Also RBY. Hes a freak athlete that could develop skills quickly. 

141-Eierman

149-Ashnault. Maybe Oconnor

157-Hidlay

165-Mehki Lewis

174-Valencia.-I think valencia would be great. Hes fast, great cardio and long. He would have great reach in the standup and good chokes in BJJ. And he could shoot from a mile out and close the distance very easy. 

184=Martin

197-Not sure

285-Cassar

Edited by jsmalls131313

Almost all of them would be good at it if they trained. The best suited would be lankier wrestlers because reach plays a more important role in MMA than it does in wrestling. 

Guys who are faster would also do better for the same reason (striking in MMA).