Wrestlingbcpc

Up and coming States.

I spend a lot of time in youth/JH wrestling.  Both Missouri and Georgia studs are getting better and can compete with anyone nationally and their depth has improved.

Haven't seen anything that impressed me from Texas or Colorado.  A good kid here and there but little depth.

12 minutes ago, Boompa said:

I spend a lot of time in youth/JH wrestling.  Both Missouri and Georgia studs are getting better and can compete with anyone nationally and their depth has improved.

Haven't seen anything that impressed me from Texas or Colorado.  A good kid here and there but little depth.

Why do you think wrestling is catching on in Georgia?

3 hours ago, Boompa said:

Colorado HS wrestling has been on the up and up for a few years now. Alirez is no slouch. Many ranked wrestlers nationally and several who qualified for NCAA from Colorado. 

Increase in top 100 recruits rankings for GA, increase in qualifiers, more kids going to good programs 

i think this was the first year ever that GA had 2 returning AAs in the same weight (125)

nc state and UNI have both developed Georgia guys well. 

Chip Ness also put together back to back all American seasons and he’s from Georgia. Devin Kane lost this year in the blood round as a 33 seed. He took out Jacobe Smith in the round of 16. 

The Bullard bros from NC State are very competitive as well. Not sure either one will ever become an AA, but they aren’t slouches by any means. 

Florida and Georgia have both been producing great talent since the 1960's.  You can find a ton of NQ's and AA's from both states throughout the years.  

It's Texas that is growing and with the likes of Nickal and Mueller, it just goes to show how disadvantaged our sport was by those who tried to keep wrestling out of the lone star state for such a long time.  Varsity wrestling at Public high schools has been around for twenty years.  That's it. A very young sport in Texas.  Even at the private school level, early 70's is the earliest you'll find schools with wrestling programs. 

49 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

Russ Cozart retired didn't he? Maybe not as simple as that but a factor. 

No.  

Brandon had a few tough kids transfer out about five years ago and hasn’t been the same. They are back in hiding mode and refuse to wrestle anyone tough in state. Team didn’t even show up for their district dual meet tournament because they knew they would lose and not advance. 

3 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

What numbers indicate Georgia is an up and coming wrestling state? Zip code of the posters?

Georgia had about ten NCAA qualifiers this year, which was more than some traditional wrestling states had.

Edited by Katie

47 minutes ago, SamStall365247 said:

No.  

Brandon had a few tough kids transfer out about five years ago and hasn’t been the same. They are back in hiding mode and refuse to wrestle anyone tough in state. Team didn’t even show up for their district dual meet tournament because they knew they would lose and not advance. 

oh my mistake then. thought I'd read that he was handing over the reigns to another coach, one his sons maybe?

Missouri has always been solid, but now that Smith has pretty much closed the borders to recruiting it's more noticeable.  Some of the guys we used to lose to Oklahoma, Nebraska, UNI, etc. are staying home.  Hence 7/10 starters and all 4 AA's on a 6th place team being from Missouri.

2 minutes ago, KCMO2 said:

Missouri has always been solid, but now that Smith has pretty much closed the borders to recruiting it's more noticeable.  Some of the guys we used to lose to Oklahoma, Nebraska, UNI, etc. are staying home.  Hence 7/10 starters and all 4 AA's on a 6th place team being from Missouri.

Does it also help that high school wrestling has grown significantly south of Osage Beach?  When I was a kid, it seemed that Missouri was divided into two.  North of Osage Beach was Missouri, where most schools had wrestling teams and south of Osage Beach was Missouruh where most schools didn't have wrestling programs.  Now, most of those schools in the south have wrestling programs.  For example when I was little Branson high school didn't have wrestling.  Now, they do.  

It definitely doesn't hurt, but most of the newer programs in the south aren't quite up to the D1 level yet.  I can't think of any wrestlers from any of the newer Missouri hs programs who are making a D1 impact, although they are making some noise at HS national tournies.  All of the solid D1 wrestlers are I-70:  KC, StL, or Eierman kids.

Edited by KCMO2

12 hours ago, SamStall365247 said:

No.  

I would say this is very possible.  That's why I could never get behind the documentary "the streak". We're they good? Yes.  Did they pass up challenges against in state schools when they might get beat? Without a shred of doubt.  They did get talented kids who moved there.  Which isn't unique.  However, they also would not schedule teams that had a legit chance to beat them.  

10 hours ago, KCMO2 said:

It definitely doesn't hurt, but most of the newer programs in the south aren't quite up to the D1 level yet.  I can't think of any wrestlers from any of the newer Missouri hs programs who are making a D1 impact, although they are making some noise at HS national tournies.  All of the solid D1 wrestlers are I-70:  KC, StL, or Eierman kids.

Blake Stauffer from Southwest MO was a D1 AA for Arizona.  I'm having a memory lapse but there was another kid for Neosho who was an AA for Mizzou back in Brian Smith's early years.  I will remember eventually.   Those are the only two I can think of though since about 2002.