Sign in to follow this  
moveurfeet32

Do ALL 2019 NCAA Champs automatically

Yes, actually the top 3 per weight at NCAAs automatically qualify for an Olympic Redshirt if they haven't taken an ORS year yet.

Also prior world medalists (at any level), past USA senior national team members, and I think the top 8 (the WTT qualifiers) from last year's US Open are eligible for ORS.

All these Olympic Redshirts might just become the new “wear your backpack around the tournament all day’ circa 2005,” “fold your socks over the top of your wrestling shoes circa 1994,” and “tuck your sweats into your socks circa now.” 

5 minutes ago, jcjcjc said:

All these Olympic Redshirts might just become the new “wear your backpack around the tournament all day’ circa 2005,” “fold your socks over the top of your wrestling shoes circa 1994,” and “tuck your sweats into your socks circa now.” 

The tucking your sweats into your socks thing is nothing new!!!! Sweatshirts tucked into sweatpants, sweatpants tucked into socks.  That's how you spot an ex wrestler on a jog.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

1 minute ago, Billyhoyle said:

The tucking your sweats into your socks thing is nothing new!!!! Sweatshirts tucked into sweatpants, sweatpants tucked into socks.  That's how you spot an ex wrestler on a jog.  

I’ll agree with you on the sweatshirt into the pants, but the pants into the socks...when is the earliest evidence we have of the cool kids doings this?

3 hours ago, pamela said:

Yes, actually the top 3 per weight at NCAAs automatically qualify for an Olympic Redshirt if they haven't taken an ORS year yet.

Also prior world medalists (at any level), past USA senior national team members, and I think the top 8 (the WTT qualifiers) from last year's US Open are eligible for ORS.

It’s not that simple.  Even Joseph from Penn State hasn’t qualified for one yet.

1 hour ago, jcjcjc said:

I’ll agree with you on the sweatshirt into the pants, but the pants into the socks...when is the earliest evidence we have of the cool kids doings this?

2nd

2 hours ago, jcjcjc said:

At least a decade ago. I’d guess around the time sauna suits were banned and we were forced to improvise.

3 hours ago, jcjcjc said:

Better question is how many active D1 wrestlers were even born in or before 1994.

9 hours ago, jcjcjc said:

Some teammates and I did it in college back in 1989.  And I saw guys on other teams doing it in the saunas before weigh-ins.  Didn't like our rubber suits pulling up and exposing our lower legs to cool air, so we tucked them in our socks.  We weren't trying to be cool though, we were being practical.

Edited by KCMO2

Don’t fold your socks over your wrestling shoes! Imagine if you did that while wrestling Zain or Nolf and they were like, “ahh, working my bow and and arrow so much more comfortable now thanks to these soft padded socks” 

Here are the criteria:

1. Past national team members (top three from the World or Olympic Team Trials).
  2. Top eight at the 2019 Senior U.S. Open.
  3. Top three at the 2019 NCAA Wrestling Championship; or NCAA champion from a previous year AND top two from the 2019 U23 World Team Trials (must accomplish both).
  4. Previous Cadet, Junior, U23 world medalist.

Flo has a list of those who have already met criteria for ORS:

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6316414-so-whos-qualified-for-an-olympic-redshirt-so-far