skikayaker

Headgear: Cliff Keen vs Halo

You Young Guns may not know what a Halo headgear is, but I have to say that it seems to me that the HALO headgear prevents cauliflower ear better than the Cliff Keen (CK) headgear.

I remember when I was wrestling I thought the Halo was a better choice and the CK was hard to fit right. This year we've seen plenty of headgear problems and I would like to see a team of coaches handle this problem.

Edited by skikayaker

Halos are cliff keen.

For those that dont know, halos were most popular during the 90s and was most recently worn by Carson Kuhn. So people called it the cliff Keen 2 strap and where as rhe currently most popular cliff keen head gear was called the 4 strap.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

13 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Disagree. I found the CK headgear to be the best, and it fits well if you adjust the straps.  

The problem with the CK signature headgear is that it's very difficult to adjust, but you're right. If fitted properly they work very well.

The halos have rubber padding on the inside that sits directly on your ears. If hit with a firm blow to the ear, you absolutely feel it and your ears absorb a good amount of the impact.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

1 hour ago, BigTenFanboy said:

The problem with the CK signature headgear is that it's very difficult to adjust, but you're right. If fitted properly they work very well.

The halos have rubber padding on the inside that sits directly on your ears. If hit with a firm blow to the ear, you absolutely feel it and your ears absorb a good amount of the impact.

Is it really that difficult?  I know wrestling programs don't have the highest APR, but all you have to do is toggle with the straps before practice starts.  I agree with your criticism with the halos.  Same thing for the tornado headgear, which can kind of collapse onto your ear.  I wore CK all throughout college wrestling and never had issues with ear pain/cauliflower ear. Nobody on the team who wore them did.  

2 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Is it really that difficult?  I know wrestling programs don't have the highest APR, but all you have to do is toggle with the straps before practice starts.  I agree with your criticism with the halos.  Same thing for the tornado headgear, which can kind of collapse onto your ear.  I wore CK all throughout college wrestling and never had issues with ear pain/cauliflower ear. Nobody on the team who wore them did.  

Compared to size adjusting the halo (which has simple snaps) or tornado (which uses a velcro system) yes it is difficult. You need to pull the slack out of the small holes in the padding, then push the strap through the slits for each of the 4 straps. Each straps must be correctly adjusted, then the slack needs to be tucked back it. Sometime the slack gets stuck in the padding holes which makes it very difficult to pull out. I would use a stick to pull the straps out because of how the the padding was against the inner metal plates.

Do you think the CK Signature headgear is similar in difficulty to adjust as the halo or tornado? 

We constantly see wrestlers tugging and pulling to adjust their CK Signature headgear. I venture to say the most of them do not have them properly adjusted. Not an issue when properly fitted. Other than a halo coming unsnapped you never see that happen with them.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

I wore CK signature all of my wrestling days and never had any sort of ear pain. I don’t recall a time where my ears took any impact or contact/impact/abraision etc. If properly fit they almost never come off or get out of place. Going to the foam covers instead of rubber was glorious. Although the foam definitely did crack. 

55 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Compared to size adjusting the halo (which has simple snaps) or tornado (which uses a velcro system) yes it is difficult. You need to pull the slack out of the small holes in the padding, then push the strap through the slits for each of the 4 straps. Each straps must be correctly adjusted, then the slack needs to be tucked back it. Sometime the slack gets stuck in the padding holes which makes it very difficult to pull out. I would use a stick to pull the straps out because of how the the padding was against the inner metal plates.

Do you think the CK Signature headgear is similar in difficulty to adjust as the halo or tornado? 

We constantly see wrestlers tugging and pulling to adjust their CK Signature headgear. I venture to say the most of them do not have them properly adjusted. Not an issue when properly fitted. Other than a halo coming unsnapped you never see that happen with them.

I thought the CK Signature were very easy to adjust... It’s just toggling straps we’re talking about. I know wrestling gives you an admissions boost for college, but I think this is something they can handle. 

2 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

I thought the CK Signature were very easy to adjust... It’s just toggling straps we’re talking about. I know wrestling gives you an admissions boost for college, but I think this is something they can handle. 

You must be a genius. For everyone else...

Interesting how the preview of this video is titled "Finally we can adjust this thing... "

Wow how simple.....

Anything that requires "trial and error" of 5 straps is not "easy" to adjust.

Anything that requires you to pry straps out is not easy to adjust.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

6 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Pretty sure most people that have cauliflower ear are because they’re not wearing it at all (in practice), not because of the type of headgear they wear

100%

I'm a product of the 70s & 80s wrestling world and although I thought CK Signatures looked cooler, I always preferred the Halo. I forgot that CK actually made the Halo headgear. Thx for that post.

Edited by skikayaker

4 hours ago, simple said:

I always like the CK signature with the top two straps taped together. Never had any issues once properly fitted. It was a little annoying to adjust.

In high school it's illegal to tape the straps together. Infact it's illegal to use tape at all on headgear. Also it's illegal to switch/cross the straps because the headgear has been "modified" and not being used how originally intended. Yes, horribly stupid. Following this, CK made a strap holder that basically holdes the straps together.

cliff-keen-signature-two-strap-holder-Wh

Edited by BigTenFanboy

15 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

In high school it's illegal to tape the straps together. Infact it's illegal to use tape at all on headgear. Also it's illegal to switch/cross the straps because the headgear has been "modified" and not being used how originally intended. Yes, horribly stupid. Following this, CK made a strap holder that basically holdes the straps together.

cliff-keen-signature-two-strap-holder-Wh

Beat me to it, no more taped headgear.

17 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

That was one of the reasons. All the grime and bacteria that builds up and grows on the tape.

That totally makes sense. I dont even want to imagine what McD's headgear must have looked and smelled like up close. Good strategy to get opponents to choose neutral, haha.

Most cauliflower ear isn’t caused by wearing a certain headgear in meets.  It’s mostly a result of not wearing any type of headgear enough during on or off-season practice.  Most of these guys knew what they may be getting into by skipping out on headgear for a good part of their time on the mat.  

34 minutes ago, pamela said:

That totally makes sense. I dont even want to imagine what McD's headgear must have looked and smelled like up close. Good strategy to get opponents to choose neutral, haha.

Yeah the no tape rule makes sense.  Technically I think you’re not supposed to cross the straps either but I don’t think they enforce that much.  I don’t get that one, that always seemed smart to prevent the front strap from coming down.