Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Billyhoyle

One of the most antiheroic moments in years

Recommended Posts

I was waiting for DF to start a topic on the matter, but I guess he may have missed watching the NCAAs this year.  Did anyone else immediately think about how antiheroic Fix was in his NCAA finals match?  Consider the fact that he did a masterful job with his neutral defense for most of the match. And of course he would have won in overtime thanks to some really tactical leg riding, which has to be considered the cousin of the cheap tilt, if not for the intervention of a referee who decided he wanted to insert himself into the match. To top it all off though, in truly an outstanding display of antiheroicism, was the moment when Fix started complaining about Suriano grabbing his headgear midway through the takedown attempt in overtime instead of actually trying to defend the shot.  When that happened, I immediately thought that DF would be proud, as the "try hard" wrestler thing to do would have been to go for a scramble/Hail Mary defense. A true tactician knows that statistically his odds were better going for the headgear penalty point than a takedown defense. I only wish the ref would have awarded Fix the match upon review though, like they did for Mark Hall against Valencia a couple of years ago.  

 

 

usa_today_12406701.0.jpg

Edited by Billyhoyle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The true irony is that Okie State and Penn State view themselves as the antithesis of this anti hero wrestling styling. 

The true tragedy is that so few us can comprehend DF’s genius, and we think the shadow he casts is just clouds on an overcast day when in fact it is the mountainous cliffs of inadequacy that only the enlightened can identify. 

Who mourns for Fix, mourns for corruption. Consider me a renagade, an outlaw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

I was waiting for DF to start a topic on the matter, but I guess he may have missed watching the NCAAs this year.  Did anyone else immediately think about how antiheroic Fix was in his NCAA finals match?  Consider the fact that he did a masterful job with his neutral defense for most of the match. And of course he would have won in overtime thanks to some really tactical leg riding, which has to be considered the cousin of the cheap tilt, if not for the intervention of a referee who decided he wanted to insert himself into the match. To top it all off though, in truly an outstanding display of antiheroicism, was the moment when Fix started complaining about Suriano grabbing his headgear midway through the takedown attempt in overtime instead of actually trying to defend the shot.  When that happened, I immediately thought that DF would be proud, as the "try hard" wrestler thing to do would have been to go for a scramble/Hail Mary defense. A true tactician knows that statistically his odds were better going for the headgear penalty point than a takedown defense. I only wish the ref would have awarded Fix the match upon review though, like they did for Mark Hall against Valencia a couple of years ago.  

 

 

usa_today_12406701.0.jpg

The ref did not award the match to Hall like you claim. He awarded a point. Hall then scored a takedown after the restart. Hall legitimately won that match. Zahid legitimately pulled on the head gear, however that is not what cost him the match. What cost in the match was later getting takedown when he had plenty of time to score a takedown of his own. Now you want to say Zahid went for a desperation move because of being behind by a point? Sure. But that's Zahids fault. He did not need to go for that stupid jump. He could have executed a proper set up. He didnt. His fault. He lost legtmately. There was zero controversy there.

 

Suriano v Fix? Yes controversial. Hall v Valencia 1? Zero controversy.

Do not even try to pretend theyr the same thing. And please no, I am no fan of Mark Hall. I laugh every day whenever I think of those people a few years ago calling him a once ina generation talent.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

The ref did not award the match to Hall like you claim. He awarded a point. Hall then scored a takedown after the restart. Hall legitimately won that match. Zahid legitimately pulled on the head gear, however that is not what cost him the match. What cost in the match was later getting takedown when he had plenty of time to score a takedown of his own. Now you want to say Zahid went for a desperation move because of being behind by a point? Sure. But that's Zahids fault. He did not need to go for that stupid jump. He could have executed a proper set up. He didnt. His fault. He lost legtmately. There was zero controversy there.

 

Suriano v Fix? Yes controversial. Hall v Valencia 1? Zero controversy.

Do not even try to pretend theyr the same thing. And please no, I am no fan of Mark Hall. I laugh every day whenever I think of those people a few years ago calling him a once ina generation talent.

Sorry if I wasn’t clear with my post. I’m glad Hall was awarded the match upon review by the ref. I’m not saying it was wrong/a bad call for him to have won or that the referee’s decision was controversial. This thread is about Fix’s epic reaction and how legendary it would have been if he were also given a match on a headgear grab call, so let’s keep the Hall/Valencia discussion to a minimum. If you want to start a separate thread about how a headgear grab is likely why Valencia won’t be a 4xer, feel free to do so. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jcjcjc said:

The true irony is that Okie State and Penn State view themselves as the antithesis of this anti hero wrestling styling. 

The true tragedy is that so few us can comprehend DF’s genius, and we think the shadow he casts is just clouds on an overcast day when in fact it is the mountainous cliffs of inadequacy that only the enlightened can identify. 

Who mourns for Fix, mourns for corruption. Consider me a renagade, an outlaw.

Truly ironic then that undefeated #2 Rasheed from PSU was also anti heroic late in both of his losses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @BigTenFanboy

 

sat·ire

/ˈsaˌtī(ə)r/

noun

the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

synonyms:mockery, ridicule, derision, scorn, caricature; More

Edited by jchapman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jchapman said:

Hey @BigTenFanboy

 

sat·ire

/ˈsaˌtī(ə)r/

noun

the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

synonyms:mockery, ridicule, derision, scorn, caricature; More

Ok Webster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...