Perry

Would Marinneli be a Champ at PSU

Assuming he was in the lineup and cenzo wasn't there, do you think cael, Casey and staff would get marinelli to the top of the podium? It seems that their guys are generally ready to go in March mentally where marinelli seems to fall off the rails once post season starts. He is a tremendous talent and I would love to see him win it all. Hopefully he doesn't continue to descend to 8th place next year as a junior.

3 hours ago, Perry said:

Assuming he was in the lineup and cenzo wasn't there, do you think cael, Casey and staff would get marinelli to the top of the podium? It seems that their guys are generally ready to go in March mentally where marinelli seems to fall off the rails once post season starts. He is a tremendous talent and I would love to see him win it all. Hopefully he doesn't continue to descend to 8th place next year as a junior.

Racheed?

6 hours ago, Perry said:

Your Iowa hate is pathological, take your meds.

16 hours ago, Perry said:

I don't see how you can reasonably say he "fell off the rails" in this post season.  The guy won Big 10s, beating the returning 2X NCAA champ.  At NCAAs he lost a close match to the eventual Champion.   THen he loses another competitive bout to Marstellar who has always been very good and ends up 3rd in this bracket.  Yes he was the #1 seed and he lost twice but he didn't have a terrible tournament.  He lost close matches to 2 really good guys and ended up an AA.

Assuming he was in the lineup and cenzo wasn't there, do you think cael, Casey and staff would get marinelli to the top of the podium? .

Yes I do. Here’s my reasoning

If I’m not mistaken, Bull hasn’t lost a dual match in 2 yrs. He has all the physical tools to do better than his postseason results.

I feel it’s his style. 3 day tournies and Bull don’t match because of his physical style. His body gets beat up.

Obviously I can’t prove this but if he were at PSU, he would be taught a more diverse style to go along with his physical nature. He would be fresher, and mentally no team has the coaching staff PSU does.

I don’t like getting into hypothetical questions, but I do feel strongly that YES Bull would have fared better than 6th/7th if he were at PSU.

For people in this thread who said “Rasheed.” He’s hurt so cant compare.

2 hours ago, gowrestle said:

RBY, Berge, Joseph, Hall, were they ready?

Rby AA as a true freshman in one of the most loaded weights of all time. Yes he was ready.

Berge. Could have performed better.

Joseph runs to the finals and loses to an up and coming superstar. Yes he was ready.

Hall gets to the finals and loses to a returning champ that hes traded wins and losses with. Yes he was ready.

Rby AA as a true freshman in one of the most loaded weights of all time. Yes he was ready.
Berge. Could have performed better.
Joseph runs to the finals and loses to an up and coming superstar. Yes he was ready.
Hall gets to the finals and loses to a returning champ that hes traded wins and losses with. Yes he was ready.
Ready to lose to more offensive and diverse wrestlers. You can't hide at Nationals, just ask Tupac.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, pish6969 said:

If I’m not mistaken, Bull hasn’t lost a dual match in 2 yrs. He has all the physical tools to do better than his postseason results.

I feel it’s his style. 3 day tournies and Bull don’t match because of his physical style. His body gets beat up.

Obviously I can’t prove this but if he were at PSU, he would be taught a more diverse style to go along with his physical nature. He would be fresher, and mentally no team has the coaching staff PSU does.

I don’t like getting into hypothetical questions, but I do feel strongly that YES Bull would have fared better than 6th/7th if he were at PSU.

more diverse style, is that why cenzo keeps losing to him? 

1 hour ago, pish6969 said:

now do mark hall

more diverse style, is that why cenzo keeps losing to him? 

Lol. Didn’t realize dual wins meant as much as Nationals.

The results aren’t even on the same level. Cenzo could sleep next year and still have 3 finals and two championships in his back pocket.

Would you rather be 1,1,2 or 6,7 but be undefeated in duals?

Marinelli is just fine where he is. The idea he’d be somehow winning more at PSU is just silly. He wrestles like the guys under Gable used to, Iowa is as good a place as any. Winning nationals is just really really hard, especially at 165. This weight class has been loaded the last few years 

Congratulations to Cenzo for happening to be on the opposite side of the bracket from Lewis. Maybe next time Joseph sees Marinelli he won't give upback points, though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

As a 2x champ Cenzo doesn’t worry about who’s on his side of the bracket

Vak..I realize you’re an Iowa homer but even you should realize it’s impossible for Bull to compare to Cenzos career. Stop pulling at straws it’s embarrassing

This is just silly obviously. Marinelli did not wrestle poorly. He lost to the eventual champ, who has beaten him before (everybody seems to ignore that Lewis already had a win over him coming into the tournament), and to the 3rd place finisher who avenged his only loss of the tournament for 3rd. I think Marinelli was the 3rd or 4th best guy in the bracket that weekend behind Lewis, Marsteller, and maybe Cenzo. With Cenzo's draw, he more than likely finishes 2nd. He didn't really collapse like he did on the backside last year, losing to 2 guys who he's better than (Wick and McFadden). I also think Marinelli could win that bracket on any given day.

He lost to two guys who presented very specific match up problems for him that the rest of the field didn't. Lewis has a rare combination of strength and agility combined with elite mat awareness and tactics. He was able to hold his ground against Marinelli's club-post offense and pick his spots with reattacks. This kept the official off his back despite Marinelli being the aggressor for most of the match. He also showed some alien-level defense defending once Marinelli got to his legs. Eventually, he caught Marinelli recovering a step slow from an attack and dropped in on his own reattack and finished when it counted right at the end. I think a lot of people see the physical gifts and tools Lewis has, but what really impresses me is his mental game. He wrestled perfect matches against Marinelli, Wick, and Joseph. Great tactics and great awareness.

This is a really tough match up for Marinelli. Lewis is primarily a re-attacker (all 4 of his takedowns against Marinelli, Wick, and Joseph were re-attacks/counters) and Marinelli is a high-volume shooter, with his offense being straight on posts, leaving him somewhat vulnerable to reattacks. Lewis picked him apart with them last summer. You could tell right away that Marinelli was ready for that as he was very disciplined in clearing every time he shot and didn't get to the legs. There was really one sequence in the match where he didn't clear properly and Lewis capitalized.

Marsteller also presented some match up problems in that Chance can match Marinelli's power and he's really short for the weight. When your go-to offense is a post, it's going to be hard to get underneath Marsteller. What's worse is that Marsteller pulled Marinelli up into an over-under every time he posted, then transitioned right to his underhook single for 3 takedowns.

I think it's completely reasonable to say that those were the only 2 guys in the bracket that could have beaten him, and he happened to run into them at really unfortunate points in the bracket, leading to a placement that's really misleading.