Sign in to follow this  

Doing the most with the least

10 hours ago, scramble said:

I remember when Smith first got to Mizzou.  This is especially true after the first or second year when he kicked Scott Barker off the team.  Most Mizzou fans were in an uproar.  There was so much negativity around him the first couple year.  He wasn't a big name coach, and when he booted Barker the Missouri Wrestling Forums were blowing up with very little good to say.  A few people liked the idea of him cleaning up the culture, but most people were not happy.  He had a very hard time recruiting top in-state talent.  Anyone that was top notch went elsewhere.  He picked up a few, but most of the bigger names were from out of state.  He got the Spates boys and Soredas.  Then he was able to eventually grab Askren and Pell. Then he got Raymond Jordan.  Those guys put some AA's on the books.  From there he started getting more of the better Missouri Kids.  After that and since he has been able to get and develop most of the top Missouri kids.  A few go elsewhere (i.e. Keshawn Hayes), but a majority of the top prospects stay home.  The one who I wish would have stayed was Ream.  He did a nice job for NDSU, but I would have liked to see how he would have developed at Mizzou. 

The Scott Barker thing is understandable, from a fan standpoint. He was one of the few home state talents that actually came to Mizzou and he had a legitimate shot at a championship. But he was also notoriously lazy and probably not the best guy to build a new program culture around. Smith can't be blamed for not getting in-state guys early on because prior to his arrival, MU was not the place to go if you actually wanted to have success. It takes a while to change that and now he as locked down the boarder about as well as you can. I'd like to see him land a big name out-of-state guy every once in a while, though.

12 hours ago, cornercoach said:

...back the f' up off of Borelli armchair 1/4 back .....

Why? He sucks bad.  Any coach worth their weight would be able to do a lot more with the talent Stanford attracts.  He is a weak leader and just not a good coach at all. 

2 hours ago, DrStrange said:

Why? He sucks bad.  Any coach worth their weight would be able to do a lot more with the talent Stanford attracts.  He is a weak leader and just not a good coach at all. 

Ironic, because I always thought the dad over-performed with his squads at CMU (though haven't heard much from CMU lately). 

8 hours ago, Crotalus said:

The Scott Barker thing is understandable, from a fan standpoint. He was one of the few home state talents that actually came to Mizzou and he had a legitimate shot at a championship. But he was also notoriously lazy and probably not the best guy to build a new program culture around. Smith can't be blamed for not getting in-state guys early on because prior to his arrival, MU was not the place to go if you actually wanted to have success. It takes a while to change that and now he as locked down the boarder about as well as you can. I'd like to see him land a big name out-of-state guy every once in a while, though.

Smith has a history of not tolerating guys who aren't willing to put in the work and stay out of trouble. I remember a couple years ago he kicked a senior and 2 time NCAA qualifier off the team for alcohol issues. And when Joey Lavallee made the nationals finals, Smith revealed that he was about to kick Lavallee off the team the prior year and told him he had to make a list of 10 things he would change if he wanted to come back on the team. I'm probably biased as a Mizzou fan, but it's nice to see that Smith doesn't have a different standard for his better wrestlers and I have a ton of respect for him as a result.

14 hours ago, dtry222 said:

Duke has had six straight years with an All American without one top 100 recruit, no scholarships, and one of the smallest budgets in Division One 

Well, they did have one top 100 recruit, but he's now at (ironically) Missouri. (Grant Leeth was originally at Duke)

23 hours ago, dtry222 said:

Duke has had six straight years with an All American without one top 100 recruit, no scholarships, and one of the smallest budgets in Division One 

before these 6 straight years with an AA, how many had there even been in program history? 

1 hour ago, KTG119 said:

before these 6 straight years with an AA, how many had there even been in program history? 

One AA overall. Konrad Dudziak, who was runner up and 4th place. The program was founded in 1929 to add context. What Lanham has accomplished with this run is quite unprecedented, especially considering the resources given to the program 

11 hours ago, dtry222 said:

One AA overall. Konrad Dudziak, who was runner up and 4th place. The program was founded in 1929 to add context. What Lanham has accomplished with this run is quite unprecedented, especially considering the resources given to the program 

Thats pretty special. I wonder if Coach K has started pitching in some?