Sign in to follow this  
D3UC157

Non-wrestlers needed

Are there any people here who never wrestled? Im curious how people who didn’t participate end up following wrestling. 

The group of non-wrestler fans(if they exist) hold valuable insights and information. Their connections show us ways to bring people into the sport who don’t have a direct link to wrestling.

Banbasketball never wrestled. He was a varsity basketball player in high school.   I'm surprised he hasn't responded to this post yet. 

My high school shared a football program with another  local high school.  That other high school did not have a wrestling program, until they finally joined with us in 2005.  I know quite a few people from that area who used to come over and watch wrestling duals at our high school.  Some that to this day attend Iowa Hawkeye wrestling meets. 

It's a rarity to find fans who never wrestled. Damn near impossible to find fans who didn't become fans because of a son, nephew, grandson, boyfriend or good friend that wrestled. 

2 hours ago, D3UC157 said:

Are there any people here who never wrestled? Im curious how people who didn’t participate end up following wrestling. 

The group of non-wrestler fans(if they exist) hold valuable insights and information. Their connections show us ways to bring people into the sport who don’t have a direct link to wrestling.

I know a few of these people. 

1) kids got into wrestling and complete through high school and some college. Dad starts following the sport and now follow it more than his kids do. 

2) works at a high school that rarely has athletic success and never in wrestling. Followed kid that gets D1 scholarship after national rankings. Big man on campus. Followed him and learned about others. Kid fizzed but still know the top wrestlers. 

In in my experience the introduction to wrestling is personal. It isn’t seeing an advertisement to watch a wrestling tournament. 

22 minutes ago, JohnnyThompsonnum1 said:

It's a rarity to find fans who never wrestled. Damn near impossible to find fans who didn't become fans because of a son, nephew, grandson, boyfriend or good friend that wrestled. 

That’s what I assume but would be interested to find some people like BanBasketball to hear their connection or introduction to the sport.

I never wrestled, and was never around wrestling growing up...my high school started wrestling the year after I graduated (and has since dropped it), my college dropped the sport a couple of years before I made it there, so I was never around it. Ran into it by accident channel-surfing one night and was instantly hooked.

Ironically, my dad wrestled for Franklin & Marshall when he was in college, but he passed away while I was in HS, so I never got to share the sport with him. Funny story: the AD at Cornell (current NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships Committee member Andy Noel) was my dad's workout partner.

My high school didn't offer it so after Middle School I never participated in it any more. Once my son was born I got him involved in it and 11 years later he's heading to college to wrestle and I'm still hooked.

As was already mentioned, it seems like many non wrestlers get hooked on the sport when their kids do it.  I've known several good basketball and football players who love the sport because of watching their kids.  I believe, its because its hard not to realize what a great individual sport it is for their kids.  I've had guys tell me they wish they had wrestled because of the lessons you learn from wrestling which you may not learn in a team sport.

never wrestled either...well i tried it and hated it.i thought it was going to be more like pro wrestling(which i loved at the time).when my friend who was on the wrestling team broke down the scoring rules,i seriously asked him how many points do you get for a body slam and how the heck is camel clutch scored...i was 13 at the time,too old to be that kind of idiot:)

After sometime,somehow I gained an appreciation for it. I played baseball and the same year I lost interest in that I became a fan of wrestling.I was also a fan of stats,probably bigger fan of the stats then the sports themselves(i'm talking football,baseball cards memorizing)...so baseball wasn't doing it for me,and i'm guessing i have some inherent need to follow stats and wrestling-what with the  tournament brackets,the weekly rankings coming out every tuesday,dual meet breakdowns and watching the sport itself, fed that.

Edited by VND

Aside from one semester in high school gym class, I never wrestled.  I was introduced to the sport when my oldest son joined the Canton (MI) high school wrestling team.

He never wrestled again after graduation, but I kept my interest.  When my youngest son was a high school wrestler, I got to know the new assistant wrestling coach, Mike Pantaleo.  When Mike's son Alec won the starting spot for Michigan, I began to follow college wrestling.

I rarely cracked the varsity lineup but still followed to this day.  My younger brother never wrestled but I got him hooked as a fan and follows our high school team and other Colorado kids even though he is in Boston.

I never wrestled, but I did grow up in PA, so heavy exposure to it. I played soccer and ran track in high school and DII college, then went the rugby path. I remember Cary Kolat's back flip when I was in high school, that was a big deal, one of my classmates placed at the PIAA his senior year. Forgot about wrestling for about twenty years until I read about Cael Sanderson coming to Penn State. I've been following college wrestling ever since. What I like about wrestling is the technical skill it takes. And it hurts. So I automatically can relate to that after playing 13 years of top level rugby.

7 hours ago, pennsyrules said:

As was already mentioned, it seems like many non wrestlers get hooked on the sport when their kids do it.  I've known several good basketball and football players who love the sport because of watching their kids.  I believe, its because its hard not to realize what a great individual sport it is for their kids.  I've had guys tell me they wish they had wrestled because of the lessons you learn from wrestling which you may not learn in a team sport.

Put me at the top of that list. Former pro football player and would give it up to go back and get to wrestle.

I have never wrestled.  I got interested in wrestling too late to be good enough to make my high school team.  They were top 25 in the country when I was there.  I have always followed closely, especially my state high school and college team.  I think a lot of people have a misunderstanding about the sport and don't know enough to appreciate the hard work and dedication it takes to be elite.

I grew up in PA and was around wrestling but never liked it. After graduating from Penn State I continued to live in State College. My interest really began with the Taylor and Ruth teams. I have always really like excellence in sports and what they were doing seemed to be a cut above what else was happening or that I was aware of. I became a fan through watching those teams and with the expansion of the B10 Network.

I am admittedly not well versed in the nuances of the sport but I have enjoyed the aggressiveness and scoring that many guys bring to the table. 

I would agree that 99% of wrestling fans were either wrestlers themselves or had kids who wrestled. 

But this may be no different in other sports. I would think that most baseball, football and basketball fans played those games. Maybe they did not play at a high level, maybe not even on a high school team, let alone college. But they played ad gained an appreciation for the games in that way.  I would guess the same is true for golf and tennis.  Hockey may be different (except in Canada). But hockey has a lot fewer fans.

I know I played all those games, at least recreationally.

There is no question that the pervasive coverage of the mainstream sports adds to their fan base. But that those who are fans played the game at least a little adds to the game's appeal to them as spectators.

I watched professional wrestling stars like Cowboy Bob Ellis, Cowboy Rocky Lee, Tairo Maiyaki, as a child and when professional wresters became 'roided up, tattoo covered lunatics, I started attending community college wrestling meets in southern California. The wrestlers may have tattoos but most are not lunatics.

Edited by potentiallydangerous

Great topic!

I was a sports writer, small paper. We covered all the high school sports, which was my first intro into wrestling. Some football kids I got to know eventually gave it up for wrestling.
These kids would go to these faraway tournaments. Made me think a little. But the main thing that got me hooked was the State Finals at a particular school that knew how to stage the Finals RIGHT! There was Pre-Event entertainment that was borderline BAN’able. But it was GREAT and so much fun to watch! Then the Finals came, and the CROWDS got wild. I imagine it is somewhat like that at an Iowa Friday night Dual, or PSU or either OSU or perhaps your college. Of course I loved writing about the sport, and sports. So, if you follow my little posts, you will see I like to write around wrestling in new ways. Heck, I’m trying to make a million bucks off you people! Big LOL!

My type of wrestling coverage is very different from the mainstream. Not many people at all grasp it and like it. But I enjoy it. I still find it hard to see the championship tournament as something that is better than any other sporting event. But I believe that I do see the beauty and thrill of the sport.

Edited by JC

I was a soccer player.... never wrestled.  When in college, my then-girlfriend-now-wife's brother was a very good HS wrestler in IL.  Going to the state tournament there was just so cool.  Saw guys like Tony Ramos and Brandon Precin who went on to have very strong college careers.  Started following Big Ten wrestling a bit, particularly Wisconsin (I grew up in Madison).  I continued to follow wrestlers like Graff and Howe in their international careers and found freestyle to be even more interesting than folk.  Today I follow college a little bit, but am mostly interested in the US Open/WTT/Final X. Things like Molinaro's run to the Olympics in 2016 and the Cox/Taylor and Dake/Burroughs matchups in 2017 are just awesome.  Wrestling at it's best is terrific.... such an underappreciated sport.

22 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

I never wrestled, and was never around wrestling growing up...my high school started wrestling the year after I graduated (and has since dropped it), my college dropped the sport a couple of years before I made it there, so I was never around it. Ran into it by accident channel-surfing one night and was instantly hooked.

Ironically, my dad wrestled for Franklin & Marshall when he was in college, but he passed away while I was in HS, so I never got to share the sport with him. Funny story: the AD at Cornell (current NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships Committee member Andy Noel) was my dad's workout partner.

I didn't start wrestling until we moved to an Oklahoma town that had wrestling (4th grade). If we'd never moved I'd have never wrestled in all likelihood.

My dad never wrestled, but he got me into it in middle school. He absolutely loves the sport now and I’d say it’s his favorite sport to watch. He texts me app the time about local wrestling happenings in my hometown. We are attending our first NCAA tournament together next year in Minnesota and it was his idea.